Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Oly m4/3 coming soon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Oly m4/3 coming soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >IMO, the EPL1 is a terrific buy. Other than vanity, there's no reason to choose an EP2.

You call the EVF just being vanity? This and the stereo sound would be my reasons to use the E-P2.
    The EPL1 can use the evf as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    The EPL1 can use the evf as well.
    And stereo sound using the external mike adapter. The E-P2 has no advantage over the E-PL1 if movies are your main focus. In fact the dedicated movie record button would make it a winner and you can pocket the change or put it into an external mic.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post

IMO, the EPL1 is a terrific buy. Other than vanity, there's no reason to choose an EP2.
    VL-F2 is vanity. Right.

Underwater housing.. let us not go there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"At the heart of the E-PL1 is a large-size image sensor that's the same sensor as the one inside the Olympus E-30 and E-620 Digital SLR models."

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...q_v=c79b90090f

So, there is an enhanced data processing system, Truepic V, and hopefully, the anti alias filter on the sensor has been reduced in strength

More resolution and less weight! So, do I keep the E-620 that I just bought?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by clark666 View Post

Yes, unless you want to put up with slow CDAF focusing and limited lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

if you shoot sports and want to use longer lenses for action I would

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I kind of like the lack of scroll wheels... i switched as many as possible off on my E-p1 as I kept changing things accidently

An E-PL1 with manual lens on aperture priority would make a nice street camera. One button to toggle MF is good.

Anybody seen the price for the EVF as a separate module?.. I thought up to now it was only sold as part of the E-P2 Kit

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right then; who wants to buy a G9 with U/W housing?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin,
    I was looking for the EVF price but haven't found it. Amazon has the camera up for pre-order but no accessories and even their add for the pre-order is misleading because it shows camera with EVF. Then lower down it demonstrates a feature but the camera show in the back of an E-P1/2

I'm with you on this if you are using a manual lens on A mode then the only buttons you are pressing are the EV and left/right to change EV. Seems pretty straight forward.

There is one feature that looks very intriguing and that is live view clipping and user selectable clipping warning for highlight shadow values. I would want to see how convoluted it is to actually get there and use it that way because changing shooting screens (like on the EP1/2) to get the info would be a PITA and not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, i think the E-PL1 is a great idea - olympus will definately gain market share with it, it seems likes Olympus has really got a good mix of features at a great price. In terms of m4/3rds I think this camera is going to heat up the competition between Oly + Pana, this camera has HD video, in body IS and flash for less than the price of the GF1 so it'll be interesting to see how Panasonic will respond.

I'm very interested in buying one, but I'm going to wait a short while for reviews and comparisons with the E-P2 and GF1, and also to see if Panasonic will announce any new cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you notice in the DPR preview that the included 14-42 is "cheaper" than the normal 14-42? They indicate it has a plastic lens mount - somehow I'm guessing that piece of metal isn't that expensive and perhaps there are other cost reductions as well...

Probably a good move, seems like for their target market many users might not ever remove the lens, or at least it would be a rare occurrence. Canon has a bunch of plastic mount lenses that are pretty darn good performers - so maybe this version of the 14-42 won't be that different IQ wise from the original.

Post Thanks / Like

In reading the E-P1L review this morning at dpreview, seeing that they say experienced people that like to take control of the shooting parameters (without control dials and all button pushing) will be frustrated gives one an understanding of why this camera and who will likely buy it--at least for me.

Terry did make the point, though, that if you shoot primarily in A mode it might not be all that frustrating.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 3rd February 2010 at 06:13.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane -
    I will clarify my comment. A mode with legacy lens looks good. With m4/3 and no aperture ring it does become a button push exercise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Diane -
    I will clarify my comment. A mode with legacy lens looks good. With m4/3 and no aperture ring it does become a button push exercise.
    Thanks for that clarification. Not having shot with any of the Pens (except very briefly last Spring when I ended up buying the 17 f/2.8--and not the camera), I really have no experience with their buttons and menus. This def. is not the camera for me but its still interesting to see how they spec-ed it.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Based on the posts in this thread, it does not appear as if Olympus introduced this new camera for those that contribute to this forum--it is not the market it is intended for. Their goal is capture the move-up market from P&S, that generally use A mode and have no use for many or any manual functions. The camera is an automatic P&S with a large sensor and the capability to use different lens. I expect that at the price point indicated, the higher priced small sensor P&S may soon be under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Also the ergonomics are a factor compared to $500 in price and apparently IS is not quite as good.

Post Thanks / Like

There's an interesting post on dpreview about a hands on --and it refers to sliders to set blurred background or sharper.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34432082 That's rather like the 'P/record' function on the GF1 where instead of being able to set aperture for video, you use a dial to choose blurred to smooth to let the camera make the decision on aperture for blurred background to sharp bacground (they call it peripheral focus). Hate it LOL--I just use manual focus lenses for the small amount of video I do. I'm guessing this is primarily for those new to using actual settings for this.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hands on with the E-PL1 at MacWorld

http://www.macworld.com/article/1461...n_penepl1.html

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone added this youtube demo of the E-P1L? It doesn't blend but it seems it does everything else LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=absTi7Er4gI
    Last edited by Diane B; 3rd February 2010 at 12:39.

Post Thanks / Like

The point I was making is that from a shooting/IQ perspective the EPL1 can pretty much do it all. EVF is available. Stereo sound is also available. It also has in-built flash and other niceties that are lacking on the EP2. Early reports indicate that the build of the EPL1 is solid. And DPREVIEW even claim that the EPL1 has the advantage of a lighter low-pass filter = higher IQ.

So other than aesthetics, there's no pressing reason to pay a premium for the EP2. You certainly won't capture better images/video.

>IMO, the EPL1 is a terrific buy. Other than vanity, there's no reason to choose an EP2.

You call the EVF just being vanity? This and the stereo sound would be my reasons to use the E-P2.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for a new sensor with more dynamic range and a faster AF system...this release turned out to be a real "PEN in a**" ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

This is an intriguing and very appealing camera.

Not to the point where I would stray from the GF-1 for myself, but this would be perfect for my wife as a step up from the ZS3 (which we both love, for what it is). In fact we had just this weekend been talking about perhaps getting a GF-1 for her. With this announcement, I see the EPL1 as an even better option for her, especially considering price!

The EPL1 looks like a very attractive, nicely sized, decently priced, excellent IQ camera for the person who needs P&S simplicity with options for more advanced capabilities, when desired. There are a lot of image makers for whom this would be great. I think it will sell well and one will probably find its way into our household.

Post Thanks / Like

>The EPL1 can use the evf as well.

I missed that. Now only stereo sound is only missing.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

>The EPL1 can use the evf as well.

I missed that. Now only stereo sound is only missing.
    The stereo sound is there too. All you have to do is plug in the optional SEMA-1 adapter which comes with a stereo microphone and cord. Suggested selling price is $89 in the US.

This adapter has a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack and built in pre-amplifier so you can plug in a half-decent directional mic or boom mic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB666 View Post
    The stereo sound is there too. All you have to do is plug in the optional SEMA-1 adapter which comes with a stereo microphone and cord. Suggested selling price is $89 in the US.

This adapter has a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack and built in pre-amplifier so you can plug in a half-decent directional mic or boom mic.
    Right and then you have no EVF or am I missing something?

I only mention this actually because the E-P1 recording is not that bat in stereo.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the fact that Olympus are putting their best possible IQ out with each camera release... regardless of where the camera is positioned.

This could be a great grunge cam for street work with legacy lenses... maybe it will blend... right in!

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Springtime is coming and Olympus will ....blend and blossom on.
    Looks better then the other EP's, sorry is that the screen is smaller.
    Still no reason to upgrade from the G1 for me.

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested in this one, wish it came with a prime lens kit tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A surprising limitation... only 1/2000 sec maximum shutter speed.

I wonder if it uses the same shutter as the E-P1/2?

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, but better IQ and a pop-up flash, so I can guess what the upscale, "professional" EP will be: An E-P with all the good points and none of the bad. This slow introduction of models is Olympus' way of having us pay to do their marketing for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know for sure if this is a different sensor than the E-P1, and if so what practical difference that would make?

"At the heart of the E-PL1 is a large-size image sensor that's the same sensor as the one inside the Olympus E-30 and E-620 Digital SLR models."

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...q_v=c79b90090f

So, there is an enhanced data processing system, Truepic V, and hopefully, the anti alias filter on the sensor has been reduced in strength

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem much smaller than the E-P1, does the same video resolution but without onboard stereo. It does have popup flash (don't care) and EVF capability (maybe care). Be interesting to see the IQ difference (if any). Used E-P1s may end up being the hot ticket...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the E-P, E-620, and E-30 imaging sensors are the same, but the data processing is improved in the newer cameras, is it possible for Olympus to upgrade Olympus Master to provide the same image quality for any RAW image? I guess the reason is the in-camera anti-aliasing filter; is this filter affecting the RAW images too?

I don't understand how the newer data processing in-camera affects the RAW image development out-of-camera.

These reports of superior high ISO images produced by the newer models are JPEGs?

It is clear that I don't understand the in-camera processing of RAW files. Does anyone know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem much smaller than the E-P1, does the same video resolution but without onboard stereo. It does have popup flash (don't care) and EVF capability (maybe care). Be interesting to see the IQ difference (if any). Used E-P1s may end up being the hot ticket...
    They sorta already are- you can find them on EBay for less than the E-PL1 MSRP.