The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Oly m4/3 coming soon

V

Vivek

Perhaps. They just took the hand off the innovation. :ROTFL:

http://43rumors.com/ has an update with ALL the info.

$599 for the kit w/14-42 (no EVF included)
in camera stabilization
GF1 form factor with flash - looks like a focus assist lamp too.
GF1 is a hair shorter, slimmer but longer
GF1 - 4.7x2.8x1.4 E-PL1 - 4.51x2.84x1.63
Smaller 2.7" LCD
Direct video button
No "wheel"
Otherwise looks like all the features of the E-P2

Last edited:

Diane B

My only comment is I prefer this, style wise, to the EP-1/2. If I were in the market for an Oly m4/3rds, this would likely be at the top of my list--but I would add the EVF (I can see that it has the connection for it)--but then--not having checked prices LOL--would I be as well off with the EP-2???

Ah, just checked EP-2 price on Amazon so at $1100 with EVF and this at $599--I can't imagine that I wouldn't save some money, a bit of size (if that matters) even buying the EVF separately. For some, LCD size may matter but not much to those that use the EVF. Are there other important things missing??? I think I read somewhere the body is plastic--unless a body is weather proof, I don't really care unless its really cheesy LOL.

Diane

Jonas

I see no front wheel, and also no rear wheel. Is the photographer supposed to leave it all to automatic, or press series of buttons for anything to happen?
Also, is that a mic at the rear? Voice annotation?

EDIT: OK, I found it. "Don’t worry about learning technical things like f-stops, shutter speed and white balance; jump right in by composing, adjusting exposure and more before the shot is taken."

I'm with Carl. At the same time I can see this camera really help Olympus gain market share and find new customers.

Last edited:

Diane B

I see no front wheel, and also no rear wheel. Is the photographer supposed to leave it all to automatic, or press series of buttons for anything to happen?
Also, is that a mic at the rear? Voice annotation?
You're more observant than I am LOL--yes, how DO you set aperture, shutter, EC?. Would the mic be for the video--which I read is the same as the EP-2??

Diane

pellicle

You're more observant than I am LOL--yes, how DO you set aperture, shutter, EC?. Would the mic be for the video--which I read is the same as the EP-2??

Diane
I'm seeing quite a reduced set of options on that top wheel too ... perhaps there's some reasons for it to be priced so agressively low.

I am however really interested in that 9-18 ... mine's goin on Ebay tomorrow ... so if anyone one wants a 9-18 with an MA-1 and low milage ...

Jonas

(...)
Would the mic be for the video--which I read is the same as the EP-2?
But at the back of the camera? It's not a pro video model, but...

(...)
I am however really interested in that 9-18 ... mine's goin on Ebay tomorrow ... so if anyone one wants a 9-18 with an MA-1 and low milage ...
I have the ZD9-18. It's a good performer and covers my WA needs, which are limited. But, some WA in the bag is bordering to "must have".
I trust the ZD9-18 to be possible to sell also closer to the summer. I won't kick it out without knowing the new M.Zuiko 9-18 is as good. It probably will be good. I have greater confidence in Olympus when it comes to WA zooms than to pancakes.

Brian Mosley

I think the circle of holes on the rear of the cam is the speaker.

I think that reducing the number of options on the control dial would be a good thing... maybe they've removed the video position? with the one touch record button being there?

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

I think it looks rather reminiscent of the original 'tobacco tin' design.

perhaps now we can have the water-resistant model with a 12-60 zoom (pretty please)

Rawfa

Honestly, I really don't see the point of this camera. If THIS is their interpretation of "you cannot spot innovation" I really wish they COULD stop innovation.

jonoslack

Honestly, I really don't see the point of this camera. If THIS is their interpretation of "you cannot spot innovation" I really wish they COULD stop innovation.
Surely the point of it is a cheap way in to m4/3 . . . and that seems like a fine idea to me.

Diane B

That makes sense. Lol, a camera with a speaker... I didn't think about that (which of course shows my age).

regards,

/Jonas
Ah, mine too. I wasn't thinking--mic on the back--don't think so.

Since I've only tried an EP-1 once I haven't really paid any attention to what the dial does--but I do know that I prefer more simple over more complex.

This interests me only because it adds yet another option to the m4/3rds but won't move until something really enticing comes down the pike,

Like Jonas, I have the MA-1/9-18. It would be nice to have a non-adaptor lens but I'll see later.

Diane

Diane B

Surely the point of it is a cheap way in to m4/3 . . . and that seems like a fine idea to me.
That's rather my feeling. Sort of the Rebel of the m4/3rds world. The only thing that makes me wonder about timing is the possibility of annoying (perhaps stronger than that) EP-2 purchasers. It crosses my mind how many of those might have chosen this one and don't need some of the options left off of this model.

Diane

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Sigh...:cry: When I see companies moving down the ladder with their product releases I get worried that perhaps they don't think that m43 is system worthy. Where is the high end body with built-in high res EVF, rotating LCD, weather sealing, improved sensor, and some supporting top notch glass. C'mon Olympus and Panasonic - enough with the toy camera releases and micro-incremental mid/low end model improvements every 6 months.
My thoughts exactly! There's nothing I'd like more than an m4/3 body with in-camera stablilization and I very much doubt I'll get one from Panasonic. But Olympus seem to have an uncanny knack for creating cameras and lenses that hold zero appeal for me. If they offered the kind of high-end model that Scho describes I'd buy one in an instant, regardless of the cost.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>enough with the toy camera releases and micro-incremental mid/low end model improvements every 6 months

But this maybe the market.

madmaxmedia

I like this camera, I don't mind that it looks cheap because, well, it IS cheap! $599 is the starting point, if you are a budget shopper then you wait for discounts, coupons, etc. to bring the price closer to $500 or so. That's a great price for a M 4/3 sensor with kit zoom and stabilization.

This is not the future direction of the M 4/3 line, it is an expansion of the M 4/3 family. Someone mentioned the Canon Digital Rebel, that is a good example.

Since those rocker buttons at the top don't have to be used for zoom (as in a regular compact cam), i think there is at least the possibility for a workable interface here.

jonoslack

That's rather my feeling. Sort of the Rebel of the m4/3rds world. The only thing that makes me wonder about timing is the possibility of annoying (perhaps stronger than that) EP-2 purchasers. It crosses my mind how many of those might have chosen this one and don't need some of the options left off of this model.

Diane
Hi Diane
Well - me, I've been considering changing my EP-1 for the EP-2 . . this camera really doesn't tempt me or change my mind.

Guy has it - good idea (yawn) bring on the next interesting one!

madmaxmedia

I can't imagine that the E-PL1 would annoy E-P2 buyers, since the 2 models went in different directions- the E-P2 went upscale whereas the E-PL1 goes downscale.

Maybe there are recent E-P1 buyers would would have chosen this camera, but the E-P1 itself is discounted now too.

I think the $499 price is not so out-of-this-world compared to buying used, etc. But as a starting price it is very good.