The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Oly m4/3 coming soon

Diane B

Hi Diane
Well - me, I've been considering changing my EP-1 for the EP-2 . . this camera really doesn't tempt me or change my mind.

Guy has it - good idea (yawn) bring on the next interesting one!
I wouldn't think so--and most here wouldn't be because that's not the direction we would like to see m4/3rds go in. I want to see something different that WOULD tempt me LOL.

Diane

lambert

As a photographic tool, how is the EP2 upscale? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EPL1 has all the features of the EP2 and adds a built-in flash and direct movie mode. And it costs $500 less.

I can't imagine that the E-PL1 would annoy E-P2 buyers, since the 2 models went in different directions- the E-P2 went upscale whereas the E-PL1 goes downscale.

Maybe there are recent E-P1 buyers would would have chosen this camera, but the E-P1 itself is discounted now too.

I think the $499 price is not so out-of-this-world compared to buying used, etc. But as a starting price it is very good.

V

Vivek

I think I read somewhere the body is plastic--unless a body is weather proof, I don't really care unless its really cheesy LOL.

Diane
With new advances in technologies, I prefer cheap plastic bodies that would last at least for a year or two than something "built like a tank" that would sit unused after sometime. This should have been Olympus' first m4/3rds (with an EVF).

I am still curious about the innovation though.

charlesphoto

Yeah this is looking more interesting. I've never been at all sold on this format but at this price might be more feasible. I don't need f stops and shutter speeds - that's why I spent $7k for an M9, which is not that much bigger. What I would like is the automation for those times one couldn't be bothered. :)

Brian Mosley

With new advances in technologies, I prefer cheap plastic bodies that would last at least for a year or two than something "built like a tank" that would sit unused after sometime. This should have been Olympus' first m4/3rds (with an EVF).

Yes, I think you're right Vivek - if you can't upgrade the electronics, and new sensors / features are ready every 18 months... you need a consumable body. I'd rather have a properly thought out, tough shell with an upgradeable sensor/motherboard though.

I think the innovation will be cat detection - no wait, that's already been done... let's see how about an iAUTOPROPHOTOGRAPHERINYOURPOCKET mode?

Artificial intelligence in a camera - no more aperture/shutter speed controls... that would be brave as well as innovative. :wtf:

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Since I do not have any direct lines to Olympus (or any other) I can only wonder and speculate what the innovation is....

jsparks

My first reaction was: I want one (my deal breakers were must have in body stabilization and EVF connection). My second reaction was: where's the freaking wheel? I guess I need to wait and see how you change aperture and exposure compensation.

lambert

A thin metal veneer on plastic hardly qualifies the EP1/2 for "built like tank" status. Do Olympus claim that the shutter life is longer with the EP2 than the EPL1? I doubt it. Polycarbonate is pretty strong and I think you'll find the internals of the EPL1 (shutter, sensor, ...) are likely to be the same as the EP2.

IMO, the EPL1 is a terrific buy. Other than vanity, there's no reason to choose an EP2.

pellicle

Hi

I have the ZD9-18. It's a good performer and covers my WA needs, which are limited. But, some WA in the bag is bordering to "must have".
I trust the ZD9-18 to be possible to sell also closer to the summer. I won't kick it out without knowing the new M.Zuiko 9-18 is as good.
good points, and I guess that there will always remain there being some 4/3 user base to make use of the lens. I keep forgetting there are any of them :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>IMO, the EPL1 is a terrific buy. Other than vanity, there's no reason to choose an EP2.

You call the EVF just being vanity? This and the stereo sound would be my reasons to use the E-P2.

Will

>IMO, the EPL1 is a terrific buy. Other than vanity, there's no reason to choose an EP2.

You call the EVF just being vanity? This and the stereo sound would be my reasons to use the E-P2.
The EPL1 can use the evf as well.

PeterB666

The EPL1 can use the evf as well.
And stereo sound using the external mike adapter. The E-P2 has no advantage over the E-PL1 if movies are your main focus. In fact the dedicated movie record button would make it a winner and you can pocket the change or put it into an external mic.

clark666

"At the heart of the E-PL1 is a large-size image sensor that's the same sensor as the one inside the Olympus E-30 and E-620 Digital SLR models."

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...q_v=c79b90090f

So, there is an enhanced data processing system, Truepic V, and hopefully, the anti alias filter on the sensor has been reduced in strength

More resolution and less weight! So, do I keep the E-620 that I just bought?

kevinparis

I kind of like the lack of scroll wheels... i switched as many as possible off on my E-p1 as I kept changing things accidently

An E-PL1 with manual lens on aperture priority would make a nice street camera. One button to toggle MF is good.

Anybody seen the price for the EVF as a separate module?.. I thought up to now it was only sold as part of the E-P2 Kit

K

Terry

Kevin,
I was looking for the EVF price but haven't found it. Amazon has the camera up for pre-order but no accessories and even their add for the pre-order is misleading because it shows camera with EVF. Then lower down it demonstrates a feature but the camera show in the back of an E-P1/2

I'm with you on this if you are using a manual lens on A mode then the only buttons you are pressing are the EV and left/right to change EV. Seems pretty straight forward.

There is one feature that looks very intriguing and that is live view clipping and user selectable clipping warning for highlight shadow values. I would want to see how convoluted it is to actually get there and use it that way because changing shooting screens (like on the EP1/2) to get the info would be a PITA and not worth it.