The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Accidentally in the right place at the right time

greypilgrim

I went with my son to Pinnacles this Sunday, wanting to see the effect of our recent rains. We never go on this spur trail, and we never get to this part of the park at this time of day. But, because we were exploring a creek (looking for tadpoles, my son's current favorite interest at Pinnacles) in a different direction, we ended up taking this spur trail to cut across to our final heading. And coming up a hill, just at the right time of day (and year) to get this shot.

My son was even willing to set aside his pursuit of tadpoles long enough to be bemused by this one :).

Enjoy,

Doug

greypilgrim

I really like this shot. Did your son hop through the boxes?
Ron,
Glad you liked it; it is one that really stopped me in my tracks (trite cliche, I know, but fits the picture :)).

My son actually has physical issues, so hopping isn't high on his priority list. One of the reasons I head down to Pinnacles so often with him is because it gives him great rock scrambling/climbing in a fun environment which is good for his body without it being a therapy session. He probably would have been pretty annoyed with me if I had turned the path into an impromptu occupational therapy session as he was on a mission to find the tadpoles, and that path had no water :)...

Doug

greypilgrim

very nice. how does one get that tone in post? desaturated and then colour temp filter?
Boy, that is a loaded question :)... I actually did something I seldom do with this processing; I started form a Lightroom preset. Actually "started" isn't quite correct. I tried about 10 different approaches to this shot, color, B&W, saturated, desaturated, etc before I hit on this combination.

I started with the aged photo preset, really worked on the emphasis on bring ing out the fence and contrasting it with the grass in the front while making sure I didn't blow out the path and grass on the right. I then added some vignetting to help draw the focus into the path along the fence. I actually have a gradient on the right side to pull down the exposure of the grass and the path.

I have other shots of the same scene from different angles that I still ahve to play with.

Thanks for the kind comment,
Doug

greypilgrim

Aha thanks Ron.
Michiel
I guess I should mention that we found no tadpoles, but as evening came on, the frogs came out big time as loudly as I have heard them there. This was a surprise to both of us as it is winter here, and we weren't expecting frogs at this time of year.

To top it all off, we were serenaded by a pack of coyotes which is the first I have heard them down there. Quite something echoing down the canyons and through the hills and then combined with the frog "song", it was unique.

Doug

D

duckrider

Great picture & good story about, many thanks!

My son also has a minor handycap and we both go out as often as possible.
Sometimes we also go for Kaulquappen alias tadpoles;)
Unfortunately we don't have coyotes here in Germany, poor country:deadhorse:

good time
Thomas

B

bronney

Doug,

Fantastic shot my friend. It's moments like this that you realize the importance of all your training in the previous years :)