Site Sponsors

Thread: Small compact case for GF1 + 14-45mm

Post Thanks / Like

Small compact case for GF1 + 14-45mm

Hi people,
    I got great advice when I asked about choice of flash so I thought I would ask for some...

I loved my Slingshot 100AW for my D80 + lens + flash kit - it just about held everything perfectly.

Now I need a small case that just about holds the DF1 + 14-45mm lens attached.

I will carrying on using my 100AW for when I take the GF1 + flash (FL-36r) + 20mm + 14-45m - unless some can recommend something even more appropriate!

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small compact case for GF1 + 14-140mm

Decided to sell the 14-45mm lens and go for a 14-140mm instead.
    (think I used my Nikon 18-200mm vr for too long and the idea a limited zoom range does not sit right in my head).

So can anyone recommend a snug fitting case for a GF1 and 14-140mm case?

Thanks!

alanwf

Re: Small compact case for GF1 + 14-45mm

Optech makes a series of small neoprene cases that fit fine. I ended up getting one thats a bit wider than I needed for the GF1, but it lets me put in the 14-140 with the LVF (tight fit though, but it is stretchable). They are about to release some new, more specific models:

http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...UCT_SUB_ID=545

I may end up with one of those for when the 20 is on. But even the larger one that I have sort of crushes into itself so it doesn't take up that much room in my bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - will look into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up a LowePro Rezo TLZ 10 - takes the GF1 + 14-140mm with a Filter attached perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Update for anyone in a similar boat...

After settling on the TLZ 10 for the GF1+14-140mm, I still wanted a case to hold the GF1 + 20mm + 14-140mm and a spare battery.

After trying a few in the local Jessops I settled on the Lowe Pro Apex 110AW - takes the GF1 + 20mm attached and 14-140mm in its soft case. I can also squeeze in a spare battery and a filter case. All bit of a squeeze but does fit.
    If you need a bit more room then the Lowe Pro Edit 120 may be a better option. Has a few extra cm of breathing room and also some external pockets.

During my search I found a post on another forum where someone recommended a Rezo 50 (with a bit of internal surgery) would be a good fit for a GF1 + 20mm. I tried this and didnt find it a good solution - it is a incredibly tight fit and I was concerned about scratching the GF1 after repeated insertion and removal from the case. A much better option for the GF1 + 20mm is the Lowe Pro Lens Case N1 - a comfortable fit and well padded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am using the Rezo 50 with my Olympus E-P1 and it is a loose fit with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and a tight (but reasonable) fit with the 14-42 Olympus zoom.

Note that when the E-P1 and 20mm Panny are in there, there is pleny of room for my leather wrist strap to wrap around the base (or stick out between the zippers as a carry handle) and I also fit a lens hood from a Olympus OM 28mm lens with stepping ring attached & small lens cleaning cloth in the front pocket.

My small carry all bag (internally it is quite big being surprisingly high) is a Lowepro Express Messenger. This will fit almost as much as I can stuff in my big bag (a Kata 465 backpack) but the padding is thin so I tend to have the camera in its Rezo 50 and the lenses within their pouches etc.

I take my Experss Messenger when I am going to shoot a specific subject and am only taking 1 or 2 other lenses, Cokin filters and cleaning gear. The only real downside to this bag is that it needs to have a separate compartment for my drink bottle as I am concerned about condensation if it is too near my gear.

The Kata has a separate top compartment for stuff like that even though it isn't 100% isolated (gaps in the corners of the compartment base).

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the APex 110AW as well for these two lenses and GF1. I also have the APEX 100 which works for the camera and lens attached alone nothing else inside. When i carry all my 4/3 gear I use the Domke FX10

Quote Originally Posted by harry66 View Post
    Update for anyone in a similar boat...

After settling on the TLZ 10 for the GF1+14-140mm, I still wanted a case to hold the GF1 + 20mm + 14-140mm and a spare battery.

After trying a few in the local Jessops I settled on the Lowe Pro Apex 110AW - takes the GF1 + 20mm attached and 14-140mm in its soft case. I can also squeeze in a spare battery and a filter case. All bit of a squeeze but does fit.
    If you need a bit more room then the Lowe Pro Edit 120 may be a better option. Has a few extra cm of breathing room and also some external pockets.

During my search I found a post on another forum where someone recommended a Rezo 50 (with a bit of internal surgery) would be a good fit for a GF1 + 20mm. I tried this and didnt find it a good solution - it is a incredibly tight fit and I was concerned about scratching the GF1 after repeated insertion and removal from the case. A much better option for the GF1 + 20mm is the Lowe Pro Lens Case N1 - a comfortable fit and well padded.