The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

next step in the m4/3 war?

S

spiderfrank

Hi guys, after the presentation of the new Olympus E-PL1, that looks like answer to GF1, what will be the next move from Panasonic?I think a new sharper EVF for GF1, perhaps... What's you opinion?

Brian Mosley

I think the GF1 will do fine - hopefully Panasonic will be able to release a new high res EVF which will fit the GF1 interface.

Next up from Panasonic, I expect a high spec replacement for the G1... hopefully without the faux DSLR hump, and including the rumoured new sensor with electronic shutter - and perhaps improved CDAF performance for action photography.

That would really heat up the competition for entry level DSLRs... an area I think Olympus have been more careful to avoid up to now.

Cheers

Brian

pellicle

nothing wrong with the existing bodies, I'd appreciate some lenses in the line up

<harpOn>
some prime lenses, something wide (and no 14mm is not wide enough thanks, what is the point of something already covered well by the standard zoom?) something telephoto (100mm would be nice, could remain compact) with OIS and snappy AF
</harpOn>

the complete lack of this in their lineup makes me wonder if the system somehow makes AF motors unable to operate effectively

V

Vivek

nothing wrong with the existing bodies, I'd appreciate some lenses in the line up

<harpOn>
some prime lenses, something wide (and no 14mm is not wide enough thanks, what is the point of something already covered well by the standard zoom?) something telephoto (100mm would be nice, could remain compact) with OIS and snappy AF
</harpOn>

the complete lack of this in their lineup makes me wonder if the system somehow makes AF motors unable to operate effectively

I'll second that! Fast (aperture wise and focus wise) wide (real wide) primes!

Helena

The only thing that can tempt me to replace my G1 is a camera with a better sensor, i.e. more dynamic range and less noise. I'm less concerned with the shape of the camera - I like the handling of G1 except maybe the wheel in the grip - as long as it's not too large and heavy.

I too really want a 10-12mm prime and brighter than f/2.8 please. :)

pellicle

I think Panasonic is like General Motors - "take what we give you & like it".
its a hard call ... i'd have lumped Oly into that category first these days (recalling that Oly gave us the Pen and the OM years ago). The Panasonic is clearly so much what everyone had been begging makers for years ago, and they did (after all) allow the use of legacy lenses with shooting with lens off (which they didn't have to provide).

To me it is interesting how often I hear the old tune of "it can't be done" when asking for a 12 or 9mm lens for micro 4/3 ... if it was in a package such as the existing Olympus 17mm and even f2.8 I'm sure it would sell the makers socks off

but no ... no ... that's just not possible

yawn; why not?

have these dopes forgotten that cameras like the Ricoh GR were popular because they had wider than standard lenses and that part of the appeal of the DP1 was that it too had wider than commonly available lenses??

sheesh, are the marketing department even photographically oriented or is the problem that the "risk analysis team" is in complete fear?

Terry

Hi

Ohh? I haven't heard anything about them so far ... is a USA thing only?
They've had to stop selling cars (at least 8 models) until they get the gas pedal problem squared away and now there is a problem with the brakes on the 2010 Prius models.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have been eagerly waiting sudden acceleration in my Prius.
Actually any sort of acceleration would be welcomed.
-bob

pellicle

I see ... well that's all down to ****ty manufacture detail I'd say (perhaps they've been learning from GM?) rather than unimaginative production (the Prius leaves me cold anyway).

Bob ... stab on the brakes ... assuming they work that's also accelleration (just in the other direction)

heh

normal transmission is now resumed

Terry

normal transmission is now resumed
OK then, I want a new version of the LC1/Diglux 2 body with:

1)current EVF technology
2)same bounce flash
3)interchangeable lenses - even though the original was stellar but for wrong sensor size
4)fast mid range zoom in addition to the requested fast primes

pellicle

Hi

OK then, I want a new version of the LC1/Diglux 2 body with:

1)current EVF technology
2)same bounce flash
3)interchangeable lenses - even though the original was stellar but for wrong sensor size
4)fast mid range zoom in addition to the requested fast primes
noted ... I'll pass it along to one of the Joulu Tontu I know (being here in Finland) we'll see what comes of it ... just out of interest, have you been naughty? None the matter Santa knows

ohh ... nearly forgot ... did you want that in a 4/3 sensor?

Terry

Hi
ohh ... nearly forgot ... did you want that in a 4/3 sensor?
Yes, I want the that body style with EVF on the left (flat no hump), bouce flash in the center, for micro 4/3. Articulating LCD desired as well.

somehow I get the feeling the LX3 could be revamped as a fixed lens with 4/3 sensor made as small as possible.....but I haven't paid as much attention to the smaller sensor cams for a while so I could be misguided.

pellicle

Ok, so to get this straight you want a fixed lens camera with interchangeable lenses in a 4/3 body ... with no hump, but bounce flash in the middle

I'll get them onto it

will you be wearing eye glasses with this?

pellicle

Ok ... the Tontu just asked me how high it should bounce and why you don't want a wrist strap so you don't drop it in the first place...

Terry

Ok, so to get this straight you want a fixed lens camera with interchangeable lenses in a 4/3 body ... with no hump, but bounce flash in the middle

I'll get them onto it

will you be wearing eye glasses with this?
No.....sorry if I'm not being clear! I want an interchangeable lens camera built like the old camera. I was simply noting the features of that camera that I liked.

My comments about the LX3 are independent.