Site Sponsors

Thread: Sell my Nikon gear and full steam ahead on 4/3

Kevin_b1

Sell my Nikon gear and full steam ahead on 4/3

Had my GF1 and G1 for a while now and have not used my Nikon gear since so decided to sell all my Nikon gear on EBay (Also here on the buy and sell forum).

The proceeds will then fund a 7-14, 20, and 45 and still have enough left over for a possible G1 replacement or the 100-300 when that comes out.

So that's it a full commitment to 4/3, it is nice and light and I carry it most places where as the Nikon only used to go out when I knew I was going to do photography.

So if any one wants any Nikon gear take a look

regards

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sell my Nikon gear and full steam ahead on 4/3

In a similar boat!
    After having owned nikon gear for a few years, I just bought a GF1 + 20mm + 14-45mm + Oly flash.
    Have sold my nikon lens and flash thus far - still got a D80 body and P6000 to offload!
    Sale of those will hopefully fund a 14-140mm (I was so used to my 18-200mm VR I need something similar).

Post Thanks / Like

I feel I am getting into a similar boat with my Alpha system.

Since I own my EP2 and some lenses I never used my Alpha gear anymore and I am NOT missing anything.

M43 is just so cute and small and high IQ that it has become my daily used system very fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've pretty well decided to save up, sell my Sony system and go 4/3 and MFD. The Sony is both too heavy and lacking image quality and I know I am asking too much for one system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    I've pretty well decided to save up, sell my Sony system and go 4/3 and MFD. The Sony is both too heavy and lacking image quality and I know I am asking too much for one system.
    Yeah,

that should also work for me - stay with M43 and H3D and selling the Sony gear for getting some HC glass and M43 glass.

I also have the feeling I will rarely use my sony again.

Post Thanks / Like

I half-considered (for a nano second) whether I could meet my image making needs with a m4/3 system alone and found that I cannot. But it has been fun trying to push the limits of what I can do with my GF1 and a few lenses.

I can see how the Lumix m4/3 system can easily be all that some image makers might need... as it's possible to create some stunning images with it under a variety of circumstances. But when you push the system a bit, it's shortcomings can be quite confining for some image making requirements. For myself, I have found that I still need to maintain two systems - full size and m4/3. And must say that this is mostly because of requirements associated with professional portrait and commercial work.

I love my growing GF1 system and will continue to expand it. But for myself, I use it when I must have small/light weight equipment that's easier to transport and can live with the inherent limitations. Such applications include vacation travel, street photography, personal photography when I don't want to deal with large gear, and times when I want to appear as unobtrusive as possible. In these cases, the m4/3 gear really shines and is a joy to use!

But when I want to create more purposeful/commercial use images and the requirement for small/light equipment isn't in play, I find I definitely still need my 5D/5DII system with the many lenses I have for it, as the ultimate image quality and image making options are head and shoulders above m4/3, as would be expected of full size sensors, fully featured cameras, and professional lenses.

It's just a case of having gear that's well suited to the tasks one wishes to take on and, wonderfully, m4/3 is surprisingly well suited to many applications indeed. But I'm still very thankful to have the full size gear and the m4/3 gear, depending on the need.
    Last edited by DHart; 10th February 2010 at 00:42.

duckrider

I never took digital for serious.

Until that little peace of poison called GF1 occurred on the screen!

Got myself a Canon 400D, for ultra wide I bought a 10-22mm. Pics were o.k., but dimension of the outfit was too big and the Camera (even with additional battery pack) too uncomfortable to hold.
    Used to handle these old gems like Nikon F2, Canon F1(old) and Leica M it was not an easy decision to switch totally to digital.
    Although these manual cameras are not smaller they are nicer to handle.

Canon digital equipment is sold, Film-Equipment is closed in glass cabinet only to play with.

Most with me is the GF1, I take her serious meanwhile….

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a similar situation with DHart. I absolutely LOVE m4/3 (both G1 and GF1), but retain my D700 for times when I want to be able to make the biggest prints, etc.

I got into the m4/3 system because I want to use some of my legacy glass (Leica, Pentax). It does work quite well for that. I actually just won a minor prize in a show for a shot made with my Summilux 35 non-aspheric on the G1. However, quite surprisingly, I've become very attached to my Lumix lenses (20, 14-45, and 45-200). They are simply wonderful lenses. I too would like to try the 14-140, as a replacement for my (now sold) Nikon 18-200. The m4/3 kit is certainly what I carry every day, and on trips not solely focused on photography.

I was also thinking of the GF1 as a hold-out until I could afford a M8. I'm seriously thinking that I wouldn't gain much by going M8 at this point (though I'll admit I'm still tempted). When the M9 or other FF Leica becomes within my reach, I'll still go that way. But, that will be a while.

Until then, m4/3 is serving quite nicely.

One more vote for the Nikon system, though. Yes, it's big and heavy. But, I consider the D700 to be completely as good quality-wise as my best medium format options. It's truly an amazing beast. And of course, the glass is nearly unbeatable as well.

Reed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Keep my Nikon gear and 4/3

Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge911 View Post
    I'm in a similar situation with DHart. I absolutely LOVE m4/3 (both G1 and GF1), but retain my D700 for times when I want to be able to make the biggest prints, etc.

One more vote for the Nikon system, though. Yes, it's big and heavy. But, I consider the D700 to be completely as good quality-wise as my best medium format options. It's truly an amazing beast. And of course, the glass is nearly unbeatable as well.
    I'm with you too. Besides, I like something hefty in my hand from time to time. Tell you what I miss - the wind on lever on my F3. This is one thing I liked about the Epson RD-1 (though I never bought one for myself) and would have liked on a digital M.

Post Thanks / Like

Even before getting G1 I didn't use my Canon 450D (Xsi), since I also have a 5D. So selling 450D was an easy decision. Today I was making it ready to be mailed off and decided to compare it to G1. I don't have any wide or normal zooms, but happen to have a 24/2.8 Canon lens which is very similar to 20/1.7 on G1.

Not surprisingly G1 is at least as good as 450D at lower ISO. If I hadn't tried 5D I think I could sell all my DSLR stuff and be very happy with 4/3, but 5D is so much better that it'll still be my main camera. I only use G1 for hiking and skiing, and when I want to bring a camera "just in case", but it's great for that. Small, light and very good image quality for its size.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is what is allowing myself to feel free to expand my m4/3rds and sell off a lot of my Canon system. I 'retired' from my parttime commercial work shooting for furniture and textile companies and now do only personal shooting--plus perhaps just a bit of interior work. Keeping a good basic Canon lens and lighting system will allow me to have that--IF I need/want it, but since I don't have any professional reason to need to shoot with it--I didn't upgrade to 5DII--and am in fact selling a lot of it off. I'm shooting for personal work almost completely with m4/3rds now--and really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to its evolution.

Diane

QUOTE=DHart;183125]For myself, I have found that I still need to maintain two systems - full size and m4/3. And must say that this is mostly because of requirements associated with professional portrait and commercial work.

.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I feel I am getting into a similar boat with my Alpha system...
    I already got into this boat...shortly after I bought the G1 with the two kit lenses I realized I had no use for my Alpha system anymore. The G1 felt right from the get go and although the Alpha handles noise a bit better, the G1 is not too far behind and it has so many nice features that it easily offsets the noise-handling difference. So, the Alpha is gone...sold! Now I also have the EP1, which is a real fun camera as well.
    Tullio

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have it in a nustshell

if you're doing commercial work then commercial cameras work better ... but if its just personal then the micro 4/3 cameras are fine an dandy

as many have noted there is precious little difference between a 100ISO image from a 5D or a micro4/3 camera, so why spend big buck$ on stuff when there is so little bang for buck?

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I 'retired' from my parttime commercial work shooting for furniture and textile companies and now do only personal shooting--plus perhaps just a bit of interior work.
    Same as I don't buy top of the line Makita drills when the Black n Decker does what I need round the house.

'course there's always the folk who have to have a Shelby Cobra to do the shopping in...

I laughed a lot recently at a tourist locale when a very tourist dad lookin fella had a 1DsMkII and huge EF brick tied to his neck ... takin really tourist lookin images too ... now (thinkin back) did he have an 580EZ mounted on it too?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's it. But then, there might be those times one really wants to make quite large prints or wants that very very shallow DOF with a good fast lens and 35mm FF--but for most of the time, I'm learning to compromise with no regret.

And--for landscapes without issues-- (wind, quickly changing shadows, etc.), I found last Spring that I could pretty easily do maybe 2 over 2 panos giving me lots of resolution for quite large prints.

How many of us do very large prints though--and how often?? Before my 5D I did 24 x 36 prints for a client (viewed from appropriate distance) that they loved--with my 20D. They still have them displayed (20 of them) in their showroom. I would bet I could have shot all of those with the G1 and fast lenses.

So--for most of my shooting, I now feel quite comfortable shooting m4/3rds--and for those times with extreme DR--I bracket and manually blend--very seldom, though, to be truthful.

Partly it may be age (possibly good sense arriving late LOL)--even though I CAN carry weight/size, I just don't want to any longer when I have a good alternative. In the past, I never felt there was any alternative-years ago had the original Canon G1, then never had another small cam until the Canon G9 which just didn't suit my criteria and I never carried it by itself. I tried a used 400D a year and a half ago and found that I really wasn't saving myself much in size/weight when I added the lenses, so went back to 5D for everything. I watched the DP1, others--but not until the m4/3rds came onto my radar did I start to see the possibility. I carried both through at least 1/2 this summer, but now I carry just the G1/GF1.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While I never had a DSLR and now use the G1, I am not surprised by the comments in this 4/3 forum. My guess if this thread was posted in the Nikon or Canon DSLR forum, their opinions would be quite different indicating that their perceived better IQ is well worth the additional size and weight. The pecking order is interesting, I recently saw an ad for the new Hasselblad and it stressed better IQ because their sensor was approximately twice the size as full frame. I am satisfied with my G1.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

I think that M43 offers the vast majority of what any non-professional (I mean, a true, "all I do is photography" professional) could ever need in a system. Between the endless lens options with adapters and the outstanding IQ there are very few people who would actually need a full-sized system. Not counting personal preference for optical VFs and ergonomics, of course.

I think this board in particular has a lot of actual professionals, so that's probably why the impression you get of M43 is a "second" system. Just my two cents.....

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the previous posts, the u4/3s is a great format and as more and more people desire high-quality imagery with small-form-factors, more lenses and bodies will come out.

I shoot primarily with a M8, but just picked up a used e-p1 to have for cycling and hiking as well as being able to shoot some video through my Leica lenses.

I have also seen a lot of folks using 16-mm bolex cine lenses which seems like a good idea, but the price has really skyrocketed.

The only bummer of course is the crop factor and the fact the my 35mm summicron becomes a 70mm lens which is a shame.

I am very interested in the 7-14mm lens though.

My photoblog and leica lens reviews:

http://www.danielvalentephotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After I got my G1 with the 7-14, 14-45 and 45-200 I sold all my Canon cropped sensor stuff, including 10-22, 17-55, 60/2.8 and 70-300DO. I had used it as a smaller alternative to the FF Canon stuff, but it wasn't really all that much smaller and lighter. I've now added the GF-1 and a lot of adapters so now the system is more versatile than my cropped Canon's ever were.

I'm keeping the FF Canon items because of the overall superior IQ, and a number of lenses that aren't available and might never be, like the 24 and 17 TS-E's and some fast primes that Panasonic hasn't indicated that they will offer anytime soon.

The m4/3 cameras can't replace my Leicas either, but as a replacement for cropped sensor SLR's they can work very well as long as things like sports don't represent a significant portion of your subjects.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like

Sold my sony a900, zeiss 24-70 and now have the gf1. surprisingly i am very content with it. This sucker makes some fantastic images. Would love to see some fast primes come available. Had the nikon d700 with zeiss primes prior to the a900.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MF primary and secondary is GF1 and GF1 IR

Don't want anything in the middle
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

I a close to go the same path - sell my A900 after not even a year of owning. But I NEVER use it - so this tells me something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Isn't there a M9 in the middle ?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whats a M9. LOL

Seriously If I could afford it than yes there would be but a M9 and it's little friends that go with it is a cool 12k. No thanks. My money is in the big gun. Lock and load
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty wild. I actually dont miss my a900 24-70 combo or my d700 with a few zeiss primes. still am amazed at how happy i am with the gf1. deciding on my next lense. the 20 1.7 is unbelievable. wishing for more primes

Post Thanks / Like

Whats a M9. LOL

Seriously If I could afford it than yes there would be but a M9 and it's little friends that go with it is a cool 12k. No thanks. My money is in the big gun. Lock and load
    Fully agree - for the price of an M9 plus 2 decent lenses you can almost step into digital MF.

I still have kept all my M glass so I might end up with an M9 occasionally if it is available and prices are getting somehow decent, but otherwise I am a happy camper in M43 territory and actually enjoy the benefits of this much more modern and state of the art design.

EVFs will be the future I am convinced now, if we like it or not. The one of the EP2 is SO NICE, of course it can and will be improved, but it already reached the threshold so I can fully accept it.

Think about EVFs with twice the resolution and maybe some more improved DR and auto adoption to existing light and some less noise in low light and then we are there

Hopefully Leica will jump on that train with their future M models.

Kevin_b1

When I first started this thread I thought I was going to get lots of negative comments about the change, but what is apparent is that a lot of other people are doing the same thing.

It would appear that Panasonic and Olympus have come across a goldmine where new and photographers with years of experience are buying into a new system.

My reason is it's light and portable, the lenses are small but optically good and do not cost an arm and a leg. Even the most expensive 7-14 can be got for 850 against the Nikon 14-24 costing 1,400, before anyone says but the Nikon is far better that is not my argument.

How long now before the big boys like Canon and Nikon jump on the band wagon, if they do I hope they do not introduce their own lens mount and the micro 4/3 mount stays open to use with all makes of camera.

Regards

Kevin

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_b1 View Post
    How long now before the big boys like Canon and Nikon jump on the band wagon, if they do I hope they do not introduce their own lens mount and the micro 4/3 mount stays open to use with all makes of camera.
    Unfortunately, just as Samsung have developed their own lens mount for the NX-10, Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony will develop their own proprietary lens mounts for any mirrorless systems they produce. The likelihood that any of them would adopt the m4/3 mount is about the same as the likelihood that the United States adopts the metric system or switches to driving on the left side of the road.

All I'm hoping is that, like Micro Four-Thirds, their mirrorless cameras allow the use of adapters so that I can continue to use the Olympus Pen F, Minolta Rokkor, and Konica Hexanon lenses I've come to treasure (and which have replaced most of my Nikon/CV/Zeiss lenses). Though, should Nikon release a D700-style body with the D3x's 24 megapixel sensor, I'll probably buy one to use with an 85mm T/S lens I'm holding on to. Or, if I win the lottery, I might step onto the slippery slope of medium format. God forbid!

But, for me, the real appeal of m4/3 is the the ability to use legacy lenses. The dedicated m4/3 lenses are indeed small and optically good but, to my taste (with perhaps the exception of the Panasonic 20/1.7) somewhat cold and clinical. In other words -- dare I say it -- lacking in character. (Not everything in this mysterious world of ours needs to be hard, clean, and sharp.)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_b1 View Post
    It would appear that Panasonic and Olympus have come across a goldmine where new and photographers with years of experience are buying into a new system.
    not sure if that's where the gold is, or just we're the most vocal

I don't reckon adaptor sales are any where near the sales of the cameras

My reason is it's light and portable, the lenses are small but optically good and do not cost an arm and a leg. Even the most expensive 7-14 can be got for 850 against the Nikon 14-24 costing 1,400, before anyone says but the Nikon is far better that is not my argument.
    perhaps ... but how much of that is micro4/3 and how much is just expectable?

I mean the 20mm f1.7 isn't really significantly different to the Olympus 25mm f2.8 but it is twice the price (and yes, both have aspherical elements so the Panasonic is hardly ahead there), even when you look at the kit 14-45 beside the 4/3 14-45 there isn't a lot in that either

holding a camera like the 4/3 E-420 in my hands does not make the G1 feel diminutive, nor its optics. I even use a 9~14mm Oly zoom, which strangely feels bigger on the G1 because of the adaptor.

I've actually started using the Pentax 110 50mm lens over my OM 50mm lens just because its so compact

and looks quite in place on the camera

and does fit in a pocket nicely (and is really light)

Sure, I love the EVF and swivel screen ... but as to micro ... I'm not really seeing much advantage there.

I'm actually (after farting about a lot with lenses this last year) tending back towards a 20D and/or 5D for more serious photographic needs and keeping the G1 as a Coolpix upgrade (though its not as solidly made) with more options while eyeing the GF or EP for a better compact camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good points, Pellicle.

The only reason that the G1 became my most used camera with its EVF and Swivel TFT screen was because it allows me to use small manual focus primes on it with ease.

Though the Oly-D17/2.8 and the Pana 20/1.7 are tiny (by most camera standards), the lack of real manual operations without battery power and poor CDAF performance put severe limitations on them for my use.

I have no desire to buy/use the 45mm lens.

The slow zooms with built in software corrections are not that enchanting compared to real lenses.:sleep006:

I look forward to how the Samsung NX develops.

Oh, would I give up my Nikon gear for m4/3rds? No.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Good points, Pellicle.
    thanks ...
    The only reason that the G1 became my most used camera with its EVF and Swivel TFT screen was because it allows me to use small manual focus primes on it with ease.
    I see we are on the same page with this one and ...

Though the Oly-D17/2.8 and the Pana 20/1.7 are tiny (by most camera standards), the lack of real manual operations without battery power and poor CDAF performance put severe limitations on them for my use.
    not to mention they loose the focus when power cycled ... this ****s me no end with the zoom. When I'm taking photos of things in tabletop work and I'm re-arranging something I have to check my focus every bloody time! So I don't use the zoom and put an FD on instead (that way all I have to check if the flash hasn't powered down (I figure that one out pretty quick however).

I have no desire to buy/use the 45mm lens.
    reading the review on that:

The petite size of the Leica macro is all the more extraordinary when you consider that it doesn't change length on focusing, in contrast to the Olympus which extends dramatically (picture here) yet only reaches 1:2 magnification as opposed to 1:1.
    ... and they have to put it on the adaptor to make the Oly look bigger?

did you notice this little pearl on dpreview:
    Close range test

To see how effective OIS is at dealing with shake during macro shooting, we repeated our test at a much closer distance, with an image magnification of approximately 2:1. In this case we looked at just IS Mode 1. The results from this test are pretty stark - at such close focus distances, IS is giving next to no advantage at all (which again reflected our experience in the field). It's not quite time to put away your tripod yet.
    I'm unwilling to put away my OM50f1.8 and extension tubes just yet ... ohh, and they only cost $30 all up too

its a good thing they put the 45 on the GF, as sat beside the 620 you may not know which one was smaller

of course dpreviews anti G1 bias comes out again:

The 45mm macro is perhaps best matched to the 'faux DSLR' styled G1
    ho hum ... faux dslr ... owh ... how pwositively plaaastic

ok ... back to the job at hand ... :-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a D300, G1 (panasonic), G9, RD-1 and a FH20 (casio) in my digital stable.

For a long time, I have been thinking of ditching the D300 + attendant lenses. My shooting mix is while, mine. I spend a lot of time in the studio shooting models who are nude, so I have a need for pretty high image quality, but my main output is a vanity book, I have no clients.

I shoot the kids swim meets, and a sport called cowboy mounted shooting, so I like the D300 8FPS.

and a fair bit of street, and there is just something about a rangefinder.

The MF-DB calls out to me often, but the Nikon would have to go. I need the high frame rate, but as most of these are only 8X10 and smaller, even web I'm going to see what the FH-20 does.

When the 100-300 comes out, that could kill the need for my 120-300 2.8 on the nikon, I get to 600 and that should be good for the occasional wild life shoot.

But I still don't see a way around a studio setup, high frame rate set up, and a general setup with a long lens. The range finder needs to stay. My shooting is just to varied to live within the M4/3rds constraints after using a full suite of lenses on a D300.

The D300 is good enough to do the studio, sports, and a bit of wild life.

as a parting shot, I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure ....

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by djonesii View Post
    I have a D300, G1 (panasonic), G9, RD-1 and a FH20 (casio) in my digital stable.
    I spend a lot of time in the studio shooting models who are nude,
    do you need an assistant :-)

sorry ... couldn't resist ...
    as a parting shot, I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure ....

well, a psychiatrist told me that I tend to blame others for my problems, of course I am sure that this must be a genetic trait that I have inherited from my parents.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post

of course dpreviews anti G1 bias comes out again:

I do not buy/use my gear based on that outfit (or for that matter any outfit).

They have a market and, apparently, an audience they cater to.

Thankfully, I am oblivious to both.
    Last edited by Vivek; 11th February 2010 at 07:31.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread interests me as it deals with people who have lived with DSLR and now feel that 4/3 is adequate. A bit like when we moved from roll film to 35mm.

I can't see the back of a camera as I need reading glasses. So I have no option other than to go for the hot shoe EVF.

How are people dealing with flash guns? Yes, the little internal, and I'm not even sure if it pops up when an EVF is fitted, will do for the small jobs. But what does the 4/3 user do when he wants to use the equivalent of a Canon 550 gun?

Tony
    London UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tending back ...

I'm actually (after farting about a lot with lenses this last year) tending back towards a 20D and/or 5D for more serious photographic needs and keeping the G1 as a Coolpix upgrade (though its not as solidly made) with more options ...
    I'm with you on this one (except the farting ). I'll hold on to my D700 and manual lenses too, as I see them as a different tool for other work. The G1 is fun but won't replace all else I have.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've built up my equipment kit with the notion that one format and compatible lens mount specifications would allow me to invest in bodies and lenses that all worked together.

My SLR kit is comprised of two bodies (Olympus E-1 and Panasonic L1), currently I have the G1 in Micro-FourThirds. My lens kit is fully interchangeable from the SLRs to the G1 (mostly pro-quality lenses from both Olympus and Panasonic/Leica); I have just one mFT lens at present (Lumix G 20mm f/1.7) and will add likely two more (45/2.8 Macro, 14/2.8 ... my goal in the mFT space is to keep things small). I have a couple of adapted lenses only usable on the mFT bodies, due to the mount register limitations of the SLRs, and which have imaging characteristics I want to use.

All of these lenses are high quality performers, comparable to or surpassing the best of what I used prior to going to FourThirds format. I have available body choices from top of the line pro-class SLR (E-3) to extremely compact (GF1 or Pen E-Px), all with the same lenses. It maintains FoV and DoF consistency across the board. Image quality across the whole system is excellent. While the lenses are not particularly inexpensive, they are all excellent performers and have been well worth what they cost.

This lets me concentrate more on the photography while choosing the gear most suitable, for reason of features and form factor, to a given task. I intend to stick with this system approach for as long as it remains advantageous to my work.

For other folks, I cannot say. This works for me, better than any other combination of cameras, formats, what all in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Fully agree - for the price of an M9 plus 2 decent lenses you can almost step into digital MF.

I still have kept all my M glass so I might end up with an M9 occasionally if it is available and prices are getting somehow decent..........

Hopefully Leica will jump on that train with their future M models.
    I also agree and I also have all my M glass.... but I know I will never end up with a second hand M9, first I don't dream of it and second the price would be still an outrage.

I see that Canon & Nikon aren't jumping on this gold mine that M4/3 is, for once Canon seems to be somewhat paralyzed. They may try something like Maps-c, we'll see.
    I am just sad Pentax didn't join.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    I can't see the back of a camera as I need reading glasses. So I have no option other than to go for the hot shoe EVF...
    Assuming you want either the GF1 or the EPn/EPLn body because if you go with the G1/GH1 you have a nice EVF to work with. No need for an extra piece of accessory.
    Tullio

Post Thanks / Like

but it shows at least we're not m4/3 fan-boys n girls

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am rapidly approaching Guy's take on the world. For my purposes, the M4/3 fits the same niche as my Nikon DX system which is soon to be sold. I am keeping my good FX Nikkors and heading towards FF once I can dredge up enough money for a D700. Not in the same class as Guy's MF, but the same basic idea.

There just isn't enough difference between my D200 (and D70) and my G1 to differentiate the two IQ wise. Yes, the D200 is better at ISO 1600 and a bit better at ISO 800, but the G1 is far superior on manual focusing for me, and there is the weight factor. if I am going to carry around more weight, it needs to be a significant leap in dynamic range and IQ (hence my pipe dream of getting a D700).

Of course, I just spent on the 7-14, so I'm going to have to wait that much longer.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tullio,

I am new to this 4/3 group.

I'm a Canon 5d user who now tends to leave it at home and use his wife's Ricoh GRD2 more and more frequently.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Canon 5d user who now tends to leave it at home and use his wife's Ricoh GRD2 more and more frequently.
    exactly the perfect person for micro 4/3 :-)

5D image quality in a compact package!

Post Thanks / Like

exactly the perfect person for micro 4/3 :-)

5D image quality in a compact package!
    well, I wouldn't go that far... pellicle I know you're not a fanboy... I don't see the m4/3 replacing the 5D just yet... give them some time to work up to that! Then the 5DII.

I do see lots of great opportunity to have a m4/3 system co-existing right along with a full blown 5D/5DII system... each to it's own "specialties". We're really going to need better high ISO capability and numerous fast, full auto lenses in the m4/3 camp. Checking back in on this three years from now should really be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    well, I wouldn't go that far... pellicle I know you're not a fanboy... I don't see the m4/3 replacing the 5D just yet... give them some time to work up to that! Then the 5DII.
    sorry, my post was unclear ... I was meaning if you buy a 5D with the only reason being "I want a high IQ camera" but don't do anything more than "general photography" stuff (like many many people who buy cameras)

You know, the occasional bit of nice scenery, shots over the dinner table, pictures of your holiday ... but you're cheezed off with the 10Megapixel pocket blotchy stuff you get in the supermarket for $199

GF and E-Px are plain perfect for that ... heck I do a fair amount of that too, and its why I bought my G1

So, Tony, if I sounded condescending I really really wasn't meaning to be.

Post Thanks / Like

pellicle... I got cha. Yes, the 5D is definitely un-necessary for a great amount of photography that is done. For many, many shooters, a good m4/3 system will do the job very nicely indeed. And for other shooters, a 5D system is indispensable for some, but not all applications.

Post Thanks / Like

"So, Tony, if I sounded condescending I really really wasn't meaning to be."

Not in the least. I suppose it so often boils down to that useful shot that the 5d produced and something a 4/3 would miss. IMHO it is access, or no access, to high ISO that is most often the breaker. If only someone would see the merit of a 5 meg chip with ability to shoot at 3200 ISO. I'd buy it.

Sorry I am moving OT.

Tony

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why should one relate lower pixel count to high ISO quality, is beyond me.

Yesteryears Nikon D1 with huge pixels should still be in the market if that were the case, and not the current Nikon D3s.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO it is access, or no access, to high ISO that is most often the breaker. If only someone would see the merit of a 5 meg chip with ability to shoot at 3200 ISO. I'd buy it.

Sorry I am moving OT.
    actually its interesting how often that becomes the topic ... once people move past "more megapixels" (if they move past that) it comes back time and again as being the evolutionary path people want. (well that and better dynamic range)

while we're drifting here, I'd love something the size of a Pentax 110 SLR (which is the same size as a 4/3 sensor in case noone knew) with a 6 megapixel sensor and the dynamic capture of colour negative.

in case you don't know the 110

I'd take that in 6MP with high ISO and dynamic range ... and it fits in a pocket

ok ... I'm a dreamer ... but my Walkman casette player shrank to a MP3 player so why not?

jerryk

While I really like my GF1, I can't envision it every replacing my 5DMK2 and 1DMK3, and associated lenses.

For me the GF1 is a carry with you everywhere, have with you all of the time camera. But compared to a DSLRs it is rather slow, get's noisy pretty quickly, and the IQ does not match up.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
    ... rather slow, get's noisy pretty quickly, and the IQ does not match up.
    took a second read to make sure you weren't talking about our politicians but were indeed on about the GF1

sorry, was just reading about politics
    Last edited by pellicle; 13th February 2010 at 07:55.