The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Late to the party - need advice

Just ordered a GF-1 (thanks Monza) and need some quick advice on the basic extras... like half case, extra battery (panasonic brand req'd?), LCD protective film, neck strap/cord or wrist strap, memory card, etc.

Diane B

We all have different preferences, i suspect. I just ordered the Panasonic full case, black, for my GF1--looked at a number on Ebay and there are quite a number of 1/2 cases that look good. I use an Optech Classic neck strap--mostly with the 'neck' part detached and the 2 connectors attached which makes a small strap I wrap around my hand. I use an Optech wrist strap for my G1. Several 8 GB SD cards--Sandisk ultra. Someone here suggested Screen Patronus http://www.screenpatronus.com/screen-protector-digital-camera.html and that's what I have on GF1--works well. I don't normally use an LCD film, but my other cameras are used and carried differently.

Diane

DHart

As for spare batteries... Panny batts are really costly and not necessary. This is a very good Panny replacement battery at a great price. I bought two and they work very well:

http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_DMW_BLB13_Battery_p/bbblb13.htm

As for memory cards, you need a Class 6 SDHC for recording HD movies with the GF1. I find the Fuji 8GB Class 6 card to be very reasonably priced (compared to name brand competition) and performs flawlessly - with a lifetime guarantee. I see no need to spend more. I have six of them in our household for use in a GF1 and two ZS3's. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Digital-Capacity-Memory-Card/dp/B001HL0G6E

On Diane's recommendation I bought the Panasonic EFV (which I learned the hard way is practically a necessity under certain bright sun circumstances). It arrived today and I love it!

madmaxmedia

There's no reason NOT to buy a fast SDHC card anyway (since they're so cheap), but I actually recorded high quality AVCHD video on my GF1 with only a standard 2GB SD card. I wasn't expecting it to work, but it did.

I think a slower card would probably have a hard time with MJPEG video though, since it is higher bitrate.

As for memory cards, you need a Class 6 SDHC for recording HD movies with the GF1. I find the Fuji 8GB Class 6 card to be very reasonably priced (compared to name brand competition) and performs flawlessly - with a lifetime guarantee. I see no need to spend more. I have six of them in our household for use in a GF1 and two ZS3's. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Digital-Capacity-Memory-Card/dp/B001HL0G6E

On Diane's recommendation I bought the Panasonic EFV (which I learned the hard way is practically a necessity under certain bright sun circumstances). It arrived today and I love it!

DHart

This battery actually does what they say and works with the new firmware that doesn't allow third-party battery use? If that's true I'll buy some spares as well!
photoSmart, yes, the battery works perfectly, as advertised, with the latest firmware. And bestbatt is an excellent and reliable company to work with. You will be pleased with these reasonably priced batteries for your GF1, GH1 G1.

photoSmart42

photoSmart, yes, the battery works perfectly, as advertised, with the latest firmware. And bestbatt is an excellent and reliable company to work with. You will be pleased with these reasonably priced batteries for your GF1, GH1 G1.
Sweet! Thanks for the link!!

Thank you all for for suggestions. I must admit that, on several occasions, I started through the loooooong "more fun with 4/3" looking for this info... because I know i've seen it in there before... but I just didn't have the time.

You've been so helpful. Thanks.

Battery, screen protector & SDHC card ordered. Any more thoughts on cases? Use, don't use. How about protective filters?

DHart

Battery, screen protector & SDHC card ordered. Any more thoughts on cases? Use, don't use. How about protective filters?
Personally, I don't use a case as I prefer the camera and lenses in a small camera bag and often use the camera with an Arca-type base to go onto a ball head. I guess I've never felt the need for a case. But others like the case. So, I'd say wait until you've used the camera and if you feel the need for a case arises, get one then.

Filters... I generally do use a UV filter to protect the front of the lens. And honestly, I haven't seen any noticible image degradation from doing so. I've compared with and without at 100% in Photoshop and see no difference. If there is a difference, I doubt it's something one would ever really notice and I like the protection for my front element. But others swear that such a filter reduces image quality. I just haven't seen that myself, but oh well.

vincechu

Filters... I generally do use a UV filter to protect the front of the lens. And honestly, I haven't seen any noticible image degradation from doing so. I've compared with and without at 100% in Photoshop and see no difference. If there is a difference, I doubt it's something one would ever really notice and I like the protection for my front element. But others swear that such a filter reduces image quality. I just haven't seen that myself, but oh well.
Agreed - I haven't noticed any difference in image quality too. I'd definately recommend a UV filter for protection too, better having the £10-£20 filter damaged than a £200-£300 lens :p I'd recommend getting a multi coated one - usually more scratch resistant and reduce lense flare, perhaps Hoya's UV filters?

Great advice. One other thing. Not in my hands for a couple of days, so I really don't know, but wondered about griping the body in your hand while you shoot. It seems like a smaller/thinner body might not be that easy to hold securely. Wondered if that was true and, if so, does a half case help the gripability. Don't think that's a word, but you get my drift.

DHart

The body can be a little small, slim for good grip purchase... and in that regard, I think the half-case can certainly help. In spite of this... I like the bare body, myself. You might just work with the camera for a while to determine, or, if the expense of half case is no big deal, order one up just to try it out.

pellicle

this is of course making a tempting case for a GF-1 over my G1 ... especially if I go back more to EOS for the stuff I'm trying to do with the G1 now.

The part which makes me cry is "why is it dearer"

perhaps I'll look for a used GF1

DHart

Just ordered a GF-1 (thanks Monza) and need some quick advice on the basic extras... like half case, extra battery (panasonic brand req'd?), LCD protective film, neck strap/cord or wrist strap, memory card, etc.
seablister... what lens do you have coming with the GF1? If it's the 20 f/1.7, that's a wonderful lens for certain applications. But I believe a 14-45 is equally important, if not moreso, for general use. Sharp sharp sharp and a wonderfully versatile, if a bit slow, lens.

If you've got moula galore, get some lenses (the ones that are available, which can be tough) ordered up! I think a good GF1 kit would include the 7-14, 14-45 or 14-140, 20, 45-200, and perhaps a legacy lens or two. That's a good start, anyway!! :thumbs:

Diane B

Great advice. One other thing. Not in my hands for a couple of days, so I really don't know, but wondered about griping the body in your hand while you shoot. It seems like a smaller/thinner body might not be that easy to hold securely. Wondered if that was true and, if so, does a half case help the gripability. Don't think that's a word, but you get my drift.
I'll tell you next week. I've been shooting without a case since Sept. but I often carry the camera in my handbag with the 20 and have been using a wrap. I finally decided to add a case--and after looking at a lot of them on Ebay and elsewhere decided on the Panasonic case. I'll likely use the 1/2 case a lot of the time, but will have the lens case for protection in my bag. Improving the ergonomics just a bit (grip) is another reason for putting it in a 1/2 case for me but that's more a minor reason.

If I'm carrying the GF1 and one other lens, usually stick it in a Lowepro Terraclime 100--plenty of room for several lenses and some personal stuff. Sometimes the Domke FxB. If I'm traveling its second to the G1--in a Domke F6 with the lenses I need.

Diane

DHart

seablister... I forgot to mention another reason why I suggested getting the Fuji 8GB Class 6 card... if you decide you want to use the camera in burst mode, you'll have excellent capacity and with the card writing faster, that will help keep the burst rate up a little. And of course, writing HD movies consumes quite a bit of storage very quickly (8GB helps with that) and Class 6 is recommended to keep up with the high data flow of movie recording. At $28, the Fuji 8GB Class 6 card, as a name brand with a lifetime warranty, is a total steal. Just sayin'... ;)

DHart

If I'm carrying the GF1 and one other lens, usually stick it in a Lowepro Terraclime 100--plenty of room for several lenses and some personal stuff. Sometimes the Domke FxB. If I'm traveling its second to the G1--in a Domke F6 with the lenses I need.

Diane
With having both the G1 and GF1, it sounds like you use the GF1 primarily. Do you have the G1 more as a back up body, just when traveling?

Or do you use the G1 instead as your primary when you set out for the purpose of imagemaking?

I ask because I am leaning toward adding a GH1 to my GF1 for the articulating screen and better movie capability. I can see the smaller/lighter GF1 being a primary when not specifically setting out to make images, but if the intent is to go out and make images, I'm wondering whether the G1 (or GH1) might be more the primary?

As for cases, I need a bigger case for my growing GF1 system. Right now it's in a Lowepro Edit 110 which is just big enough for the body, 14-45, 20, and a couple of spare batteries. Barely. As I plan to add a 7-14, 45-200, and GH1, I'm bag shopping.... AGAIN. :rolleyes: I think I'll have a look at the Terraclime 100.

Diane B

The G1 is really my 'main' m4/3rds. Just that the GF1 goes more casual places--easy to stick it in a handbag by itself. Hasn't been much image making these past months--ugly here LOL, but I take the cam 'just in case'.

Bags LOL (don't ask)--I didn't have to buy any except for the Terraclime. That was a suggestion from Terry. Works pretty well for a body and a couple of lenses. The LP Siing 100 works well for hiking, don't like it for urban (I have the 200 for 5D also--thank goodness I'm not hauling IT hiking anymore LOL--just day hikes or even shorter, but here usually up sides of hills/mts.). For now, I use the Domke F6 for G1/45 f/2.8, GF1/20, 45-200, 9-18 with MA1, probably 14-45, one or 2 MF lenses/adaptor.

Diane

wjlapier

Jim,
alot of good advice above. The Panasonic 1/2 case is well made and adds a nice grip to the camera that, imo, is a bit small for me and slightly slippery. I prefer to not use a neckstrap with this camera. I bought a wrist strap from Luigi with the "tiny end".

I'm on my second GF1. I would probably go with the Panasonic 1/2 case this time around again, but I wanted to try the Kayne Wayne case. BTW, the Panasonic case is not attached to the body. It's only kept in place when a strap is used.

A pic of my newish GF1 and Luigi wrist strap with "tiny end".