The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a very interesting E-PL1 question

pellicle

Hi

I was recently asked a question by email from someone who reads my blog, its a very interesting question:

I have been interested in the new Olympus E-PL1 and it really seems to be the good one for me to start. However, I contacted Olympus to ask if the camera can be in "shooting with no lens" mode, and I was told this is not available on the E-PL1.

Am i correct in thinking that this would mean that they cannot be used with manual lenses? Is there any workarounds? I would be grateful if you would pass my queries to the consideration of your group and see if you, or any other member, have any answers for this.
:eek: .. wonder how that bodes for the subsequent micro 4/3 models in the future

PeterB666

From what I understand, the "shooting without lens" setting in Panasonic cameras is required because the camera by default needs information from the lens. This isn't required in Olympus cameras and therefore there is no such setting.

All Olympus cameras can be used with manual lenses and they work well in either full manual mode where you set the aperture on the lens and the shutter speed via the camera, or in Aperture Priority mode by setting the camera to that mode and using the aperture ring on the lens.

Also, the Olympus cameras will let you use the built in image stabilisation with manual lenses too. You can program into the camera the focal length of the lens so it knows how to optimise the image stabilisation.

PeterB666

Olympus E-P1 with 56 year old manual lens attached...

Picture taken with 56 year old manual lens and Olympus E-P1

The E-PL1 should do just as well.

pellicle

Peter

From what I understand, the "shooting without lens" setting in Panasonic cameras is required because the camera by default needs information from the lens. This isn't required in Olympus cameras and therefore there is no such setting.
makes sense ... as you can see I'm a Pana owner.

:)