Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 47 of 47

Thread: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

  1. #1
    hermie
    Guest

    Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    See here

    Herman

  2. #2
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by hermie View Post
    See here

    Herman
    No lock for that expensive EVF is very bad. I'm reminded of how many Olympus diopter corrector eyepieces I lost on old OM bodies.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Blimey, he almost likes it.

    Nice photos embedded in the article.

    Thanks for the pointer.

    Cheers

    Brian

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Speak Human
    My thoughts too. I feel that he clearly enjoys these new smaller cameras that offer very high quality images. It's interesting comparing this field report with the one for the GF1.

    I suspect that if the GF1 had IBIS he (and a lot of others) would hail it as King...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    I suspect that if the GF1 had IBIS he (and a lot of others) would hail it as King...
    Absolutely.

    Cheers

    Brian

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    I suspect that if the GF1 had IBIS he (and a lot of others) would hail it as King...
    I think this is a very fair statement. I imagine Panny really underestimated the number of people who would be using legacy glass.... or just those who would like the 20mm to be stabilized!

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    I guess coming from the M8 with no stabilization I don't really feel like I'm missing it.

    I haven't really thought to myself if only this were stabilized I could have gotten the shot. typically I find if I need a shutter speed that low there is much greater chance that my subject is moving than me moving.
    Last edited by Terry; 15th February 2010 at 08:57.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I guess coming from the M8 and with no stabilization I don't really feel like I'm missing it.

    I haven't really thought to myself if only this were stabilized I could have gotten the shot. typically I find if I need a shutter speed that low there is much greater chance that my subject is moving than me moving.
    This is fair (and I made the same arguments to myself when I had the GF-1), but I've found that when I am shooting in very low light I can generally get solid results bursting 3-4 shots at 1/4 second with the 20mm, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. It's one of those things that you get spoiled with pretty quickly.

    All-in-all, I don't really understand NOT doing it at this point in the game. I certainly understand there are some advantages to the in-lens path, but to my knowledge every IS lens has an "off" switch and it doesn't seem to be more costly to do IBIS. I think IBIS has single handedly made the "also rans" in the dSLR world competitive (Sony, Pentax, Oly, ect). If it weren't for IBIS I don't think they'd have made the (admittedly small) strides they have in breaking the CanNikon duopoly.

    PS I don't want to derail this thread into another stabilization debate, so I'm sorry if I just did.....

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    No, you didn't derail it and I don't disagree with you. I also do exactly what you do when I worry that I might not be steady. Just switch to burst and I and fire off a couple of shots. If it is clear that lens stabilization is better for video (which I have no idea if it is), then I can see having both. I do own an A900 and sometimes I am pretty shocked at the results I get with their IBIS on my 135 f1.8 lens.

    My point was that I don't get as worked up about it as others do. I've also owned Nikon and their prime lenses are generally not stabilized....in fact their new 16-35 is their first wide stabilized lens. I don't think many of the Canon primes are stabilized either.

  10. #10
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I guess coming from the M8 with no stabilization I don't really feel like I'm missing it.

    I haven't really thought to myself if only this were stabilized I could have gotten the shot. typically I find if I need a shutter speed that low there is much greater chance that my subject is moving than me moving.
    depends, if you photograph people more likely, but I don't mind some subject movement in my people shots, sometimes with everything moving its only the wind which keeps anything still in the exposure.



    I guess if this one had IS it would be completely a dud

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    depends, if you photograph people more likely, but I don't mind some subject movement in my people shots, sometimes with everything moving its only the wind which keeps anything still in the exposure.

    I guess if this one had IS it would be completely a dud
    A lovely shot, but you can always turn IS off if you choose to. I'm not looking to require everybody to use IS, but there just isn't a solid excuse for not having it in camera at this point.

  12. #12
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
    A lovely shot, but you can always turn IS off if you choose to. I'm not looking to require everybody to use IS, but there just isn't a solid excuse for not having it in camera at this point.
    thanks :-)

    I wasn't meaning to be defending no IBIS ... I'm actually wondering if I'll swap camps from G1 to EP because of (among other things) that issue. I must say though that reprogramming adaptors with focal length to maximisze the benefit of the IBIS does sound a drag.

    in the end though I may just keep the G1 because I like so many other things about it (EVF, swivel screen, grip)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
    I'm not looking to require everybody to use IS, but there just isn't a solid excuse for not having it in camera at this point.
    This is true if technology was the only factor determining product feature decisions. If that were true then ALL the new cars being produced would have the same advanced technology features of luxury vehicles.

    There are a myriad of other factors involved in making that decision, cost being a major one. While the technology for in-camera IS may be well-understood, the application of it to a new camera product is not trivial, and certainly not without expense. All these decisions are being made within very limited parameters of target price, target margins, etc. Parts cost doesn't translate into a 1:1 relationship to price increases, and more often than not it's a 10:1 or 20:1 relationship in real terms. I'm sure Panasonic did a trade analysis on in-camera IS, and decided to go against it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    This is true if technology was the only factor determining product feature decisions. If that were true then ALL the new cars being produced would have the same advanced technology features of luxury vehicles.

    There are a myriad of other factors involved in making that decision, cost being a major one. While the technology for in-camera IS may be well-understood, the application of it to a new camera product is not trivial, and certainly not without expense. All these decisions are being made within very limited parameters of target price, target margins, etc. Parts cost doesn't translate into a 1:1 relationship to price increases, and more often than not it's a 10:1 or 20:1 relationship in real terms. I'm sure Panasonic did a trade analysis on in-camera IS, and decided to go against it.

    I understand they can't just "throw it in", but it seems like a very odd omission for such a new system (M43). I mean, IBIS has been "standard" in a whole lot of cameras for many, many years now. I've not heard of any reasonable downside to including it. The tech is well established and is clearly within the abilities of much smaller manufacturers like Olympus and Pentax. There's no market price premium for IBIS either.

    Also, for a system that has such an amazing ability to use legacy glass it just makes no sense (to me) I'm not privy to their market research, but looking from the outside it seems like an odd choice to make in this day and age.

    Lastly, I wouldn't catagorize IBIS as "advanced technology". The lowest end dSLRs from Pentax, Sony, and Olympus have it. It seems a more apt analogy would be a Chevy Malibu having power windows, but the Audi using hand cranks.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    No, you didn't derail it and I don't disagree with you. I also do exactly what you do when I worry that I might not be steady. Just switch to burst and I and fire off a couple of shots. If it is clear that lens stabilization is better for video (which I have no idea if it is), then I can see having both. I do own an A900 and sometimes I am pretty shocked at the results I get with their IBIS on my 135 f1.8 lens.

    My point was that I don't get as worked up about it as others do. I've also owned Nikon and their prime lenses are generally not stabilized....in fact their new 16-35 is their first wide stabilized lens. I don't think many of the Canon primes are stabilized either.
    I only have one Canon IS lens--and rarely use it. None of my primes are stabilized so I'm just used to shooting with non-IS. That's why, like Terry, I'm probably just not very excited about it one way or the other. If they add it, fine, if not, fine. When i buy my next m4/3rds body I'll consider again, but doubt that would be one of the highest priorities.

    When one considers that its possible to use such a variety of MF lenses with m4/3rds and that would/should have been a consideration for IBIS--I just have a feeling that perhaps Panasonic didn't really expect that to be such a major selling point. When I look back at marketing--even now---I still am not sure they see it that way LOL.


    Diane

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
    I think this is a very fair statement. I imagine Panny really underestimated the number of people who would be using legacy glass.... or just those who would like the 20mm to be stabilized!
    You've just described me, as I own an E-P1 solely because the Panasonic 20mm lens / GF1 combo lacks IS and I really, really dislike bumping the ISO any higher than 100. :-(

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    You've just described me, as I own an E-P1 solely because the Panasonic 20mm lens / GF1 combo lacks IS and I really, really dislike bumping the ISO any higher than 100. :-(
    Well on the E-P2 you should be bumping the ISO higher than 100 and using ISO 200 which has been shown to be better and is the base ISO for the camera.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    That's right - ISO 200 gives you about 1 stop more headroom, at the expense of a little more noise in the shadows.

    Cheers

    Brian

  19. #19
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Well on the E-P2 you should be bumping the ISO higher than 100 and using ISO 200 which has been shown to be better and is the base ISO for the camera.
    I think so too. I have it always to ISO 200.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  20. #20
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    That's right - ISO 200 gives you about 1 stop more headroom, at the expense of a little more noise in the shadows.

    Cheers

    Brian
    But likely more DR than using 100.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  21. #21
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    No, no more DR - just more headroom on auto exposure... which gives the impression of more DR.

    Cheers

    Brian

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Is the ISO200 thing the same for the EP-1?

  23. #23
    Senior Member Robert Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    1,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
    Is the ISO200 thing the same for the EP-1?
    Yes.
    Sláinte

    Robert.

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    I guess if this one had IS it would be completely a dud
    Ah . . . Like this one you mean?



    No time to turn it off

    Still, clearly IBIS isn't the final answer for lots of shots (like this one), but it's nice to have, and it's the reason why I put up with the less good menus, lack of onboard flash and inadequate AF on the E-P1.

    Just this guy you know

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Interesting discussion.

    I chose the GF1 primarily because of the interface. I find that regardless of whether I am using the LCD or the EVF the controls are where they should be. If I have to delve into the menus, they are simple and logical. I also like the faster AF. Together, these factors make for a camera that allows me to focus on composition, with management of controls being second nature.

    It's always easy to get taken up with features. For me, it's the camera that is easy and fun to use. I find the GF1 and 20mm to be a joy. I just added the 14-45: the jury is still out.

    Generations of photographers made incredible images without IS of any kind, and for me it is not a killer feature.

    Still, just because we used to do without it does not mean we should eschew it now. I certainly don't miss it with my GF1/20 combination - but I will admit it would be nice to have.

  26. #26
    Member Bill Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Scarboro, Ontario
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I guess coming from the M8 with no stabilization I don't really feel like I'm missing it.

    I haven't really thought to myself if only this were stabilized I could have gotten the shot. typically I find if I need a shutter speed that low there is much greater chance that my subject is moving than me moving.
    Hi Terry, I had a look at your blips and they are just..Mmmmmmm....fantastic!! I fell in love with the old shack and tree with the mountains in behind......

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    No, no more DR - just more headroom on auto exposure... which gives the impression of more DR.
    I'm obviously the exception to the rule, but I prefer the look of the E-P1's ISO100 files to its ISO200 files. And because I rarely ever shoot on true auto -- I seem to tweak the exposure compensation for nearly every image -- I don't see any benefit to having more perceived headroom at the expense of less actual dynamic range.

    YMMV, of course, but on those occasions when I need IS, there is no reliable substitute, which is why I put up with the E-P1's many idiosyncracies and carry it with me everywhere instead of one of my GF1s.

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    I didn't garner any bias toward either camera based on his review. The writer stated he prefers the Panasonic cameras based on the menu interface, familiar controls, higher resolution screen and faster AF. He praises the new EVF and the IBIS on the EP2 but the menus didn't "click" with him. Fair assessments and it's another reason choice is a great thing. I came to the same conclusions for myself. If the GF1 had an articulating screen akin to the G1 while remaining very near the same size it would be just about "perfect" IMO.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    Still, just because we used to do without it does not mean we should eschew it now. I certainly don't miss it with my GF1/20 combination - but I will admit it would be nice to have.
    I'm no GF1 basher, as I own a pair of them, but for some purposes, the E-P1 is simply a better tool, even if I don't like the experience of using it very much. :-/

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gordon View Post
    Hi Terry, I had a look at your blips and they are just..Mmmmmmm....fantastic!! I fell in love with the old shack and tree with the mountains in behind......
    Thanks Bill,
    I am having a lot of fun with it. Not saying it isn't hard to think of something to shoot each day! The unexpected part that is just as enjoyable is thinking of something to write about what was going on when I was taking the shot or what I was thinking about each day (which can make up for less than stellar pictures).

  31. #31
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    But likely more DR than using 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    I don't see any benefit to having more perceived headroom at the expense of less actual dynamic range.
    It isn't more or less actual DR. It is the same. The E-P1 and E-P2 settings for ISO 100 and ISO 200 set the camera to an identical actual ISO setting. Ie, what those cameras call ISO 100 and ISO 200 refer to the same base ISO.

    The effects of choosing ISO 200 are: 1) Lower exposure (when using automatic exposure) relative to what you would get using ISO 100; and 2) Differences in the tone curve applied. If you shoot at the ISO 100 setting versus the ISO 200 setting with +1 EV exposure compensation, the only difference is the tone curve that gets applied.

  32. #32
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Ah . . . Like this one you mean?
    well I wouldn't call that a dud, but there is something sharp in there, the carpet.

    I like the movement there ... but in my shot (at f2.8 and about 1/15th iirc) if I had not had the accidental fluttering of her dress then nothing would be sharp and only the blurry background would not have had as much movement (though I think it is not noticable)

    but remembering to turn it on and off is important. I already struggle with remembering to change AF mode, what ISO am I using, have I got raw on ...

  33. #33
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    I'm obviously the exception to the rule, but I prefer the look of the E-P1's ISO100 files to its ISO200 files. And because I rarely ever shoot on true auto -- I seem to tweak the exposure compensation for nearly every image -- I don't see any benefit to having more perceived headroom at the expense of less actual dynamic range.

    YMMV, of course, but on those occasions when I need IS, there is no reliable substitute, which is why I put up with the E-P1's many idiosyncracies and carry it with me everywhere instead of one of my GF1s.
    Well, if you're using the histogram to expose correctly - why not go the whole hog and use Manual exposure? no need for EV compensation then.

    Cheers

    Brian

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Another (non technical) way to look at it....If ISO 100 were truly better wouldn't Oly have the Auto ISO feature begin at ISO 100 instead of 200.

  35. #35
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    ISO 100 isn't any better... ISO 200 is the way to go.

    Cheers

    Brian

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Well, this has been enlightening! So this ISO200 thing even effects raw, eh?

  37. #37
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    question

    are the histograms based on what would be recorded to JPG if the image was made with the colour balance settings as they are?

    I ask because I often see blinkies when there is definitely more head room in the RAW file and don't get clipping when I process the RAW but do when I extract the JPG.

    if so then the histogram is really no better than snap n look then adjust ... on my G1 that takes a fraction of a second as my EVF displays what I see immediately post shot

    I played with an E-P2 in the shop recently and it really slowed down the screen refresh speed using the live histogram

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Well, if you're using the histogram to expose correctly - why not go the whole hog and use Manual exposure? no need for EV compensation then.
    Actually, I do that ... sort of. There are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking, I first meter the scene with my Sekonic L-758 (as a view camera user, I'm used to doing the heavy lifting with regard to exposure calculations myself and old habits die hard) to get a feel for the exposure range of the scene and determine my starting point. I then use exposure compensation to dial-in my calculated shutter speed because I find it quicker/easier to use the camera this way than in pure manual form. I also find it quicker/easier to bracket exposures this way and FWIW, I rarely ever look at the histogram.

    (Yes, I realize my approach to metering is quite a bit different than that of most users but it's the way I've learned to work over the years, for better and worse...)

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    ISO 100 isn't any better... ISO 200 is the way to go.
    Then it's obviously just me, but I've compared these two settings many times and in .jpg form, at least (for the type of stuff I photograph with my E-P1, I usually don't bother with the RAW files), I definitely have a preference for the ISO 100 images. That said, I will have to look into Amin's suggestion about shooting ISO 200 with +1 stop of compensation and compare that to the straight ISO 100 image as I haven't tried this before with this camera...

  40. #40
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Shooting ISO200 +1 EV compensation is almost exactly like shooting at ISO 100. You lose the headroom that's all.

    This is really to do with auto exposure... and so affects raw too.

    Be aware that the histogram is derived from the jpeg. I shoot raw, and set my Contrast to -2, Saturation -2, Sharpening -2, Normal Gradation, Natural colour mode, AdobeRGB.

    I think this gives a pretty representative histogram of the raw exposure.

    Cheers

    Brian

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Shooting ISO200 +1 EV compensation is almost exactly like shooting at ISO 100. You lose the headroom that's all.

    This is really to do with auto exposure... and so affects raw too.

    Be aware that the histogram is derived from the jpeg. I shoot raw, and set my Contrast to -2, Saturation -2, Sharpening -2, Normal Gradation, Natural colour mode, AdobeRGB.

    I think this gives a pretty representative histogram of the raw exposure.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Now I'm completely confused. For all the hooha about Oly color and jpegs don't these settings defeat that process? I understand that the RAWs aren't impacted by these changes but I'm then confused as to what you are doing in Oly studio to get your colors back.

  42. #42
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Just shoot at ISO 200 (for maximum auto exposure headroom at base ISO) and don't worry about it. This has nothing to do with the Olympus colour signature.

    Cheers

    Brian

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Just shoot at ISO 200 (for maximum auto exposure headroom at base ISO) and don't worry about it. This has nothing to do with the Olympus colour signature.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Yes, I understand the difference about ISO 100 and 200 and yes I understand about getting the proper RAW histogram. Where I get lost is then using the Oly software in your workflow as I thought bringing the RAW file into the Oly software it would automatically pick up your camera settings. If you've adjusted the camera settings with all of the -2's how does your workflow actually work...it is just in many posts you've said you start in the Oly software before going to Lightzone etc.

  44. #44
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    -2 contrast, -2 saturation, -2 sharpness, natural colour, normal gradation, AdobeRGB colour space... all result in a pretty flat, high dynamic range image file in 16 bit tiff to work with in Lightzone. The unique Olympus colour signature and smooth pixel level character is retained.

    I'm very happy with this, but you can get very pleasant colour and even sharper detail from Capture One 5 Pro, with better highlight recovery - even with Panasonic raw files.

    Cheers

    Brian

  45. #45
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    -2 contrast, -2 saturation, -2 sharpness, natural colour, normal gradation, AdobeRGB colour space... all result in a pretty flat, high dynamic range image file in 16 bit tiff to work with in Lightzone. The unique Olympus colour signature and smooth pixel level character is retained.

    I'm very happy with this, but you can get very pleasant colour and even sharper detail from Capture One 5 Pro, with better highlight recovery - even with Panasonic raw files.

    Cheers

    Brian

  46. #46
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by lattiboy View Post
    Well, this has been enlightening! So this ISO200 thing even effects raw, eh?
    Only in so far as the camera uses it for autoexposure and the RAW app uses it to determine the tone curve. If you set the exposure manually and set a flat tone curve during RAW processing, the camera setting for ISO 100 produces identical results to the setting for ISO 200.


    Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    Then it's obviously just me, but I've compared these two settings many times and in .jpg form, at least (for the type of stuff I photograph with my E-P1, I usually don't bother with the RAW files), I definitely have a preference for the ISO 100 images. That said, I will have to look into Amin's suggestion about shooting ISO 200 with +1 stop of compensation and compare that to the straight ISO 100 image as I haven't tried this before with this camera...
    If you're shooting JPEG, the ISO 200 +1EV is going to appear overexposed most of the time. The in-camera tone curve isn't suited for that.

    - Let's say you shoot a typical contrasty in aperture priority, f/5.6, high dynamic range scene at ISO 100 such that you clip both the shadows and the highlights at 1/500s. You've set the ISO to ISO 100, and the camera uses ISO 100 (the base ISO) and 1/500s. Call this image #1.

    - Now say you shoot the exact same scene with the camera set to f/5.6 and ISO 200. The camera will again use ISO 100 (base ISO, same as before) but will call this "ISO 200" and will choose 1/1000s as the shutter speed. As a result, the image will have a lower exposure relative to image #1 so the highlights won't be clipped, but the shadow clipping will be worse and most of the tones will be underexposed to save the highlights. However, the in-camera processor will recognize that you have used ISO 200 and will apply a tone curve to "push" all of the tones besides the near-clipped highlights so that they are where they belong. The result is an image with more noise and less highlight clipping.

    If you take that ISO 200 RAW and put it in a "smart" RAW app like Olympus Master, it will automatically do the same trick as the in camera processor.

    Now let's say that you shoot the same image at ISO 200 +1EV. The camera will use 1/500s, and the RAW image data will end up the same as with image #1, but the in-camera processor will "push" the tones as with all ISO 200 files, resulting in an apparent overexposure (even if the RAW data is properly exposed).

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Another (non technical) way to look at it....If ISO 100 were truly better wouldn't Oly have the Auto ISO feature begin at ISO 100 instead of 200.
    Yes, for most people and most images, the underexpose and push results in a nicer looking image.

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Olympus Pen E-P2 Field Review on LL

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Only in so far as the camera uses it for autoexposure and the RAW app uses it to determine the tone curve. If you set the exposure manually and set a flat tone curve during RAW processing, the camera setting for ISO 100 produces identical results to the setting for ISO 200.
    I know specs aren't everything, believe me, but how do you square this with DXO's tests, which show the dynamic range at ISO 200 is about half a stop less than at ISO 100? Although I haven't done any carefully controlled or measurement-based tests nor do I know how DXO did its testing, this was my subjective opinion as well (and one that I arrived at before I'd seen the DXO results, so I don't think I was biased by them.)

    The result is an image with more noise and less highlight clipping.
    Precisely. And because I am personally more sensitive to noise than clipped and/or blown highlights -- I do a lot of nighttime photography and blown highlights are something I just have to accept -- this is why I prefer the ISO 100 images. I accept that others may arrive at a different conclusion.

    Yes, for most people and most images, the underexpose and push results in a nicer looking image.
    I can't argue this point. As I said, my personal preference is anything but the norm...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •