The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Konica Hexanon AR 35mm f/2?

lattiboy

Hi all,

I just picked one of these up on evilbay and cannot find a shred of information or a single picture taken with one. There is oodles of info on the f/2.8, but the f/2 is simply described as "rare".

How does it perform? Samples always appreciated...

lattiboy

Thanks Jonathan, I should've said I read that already :)

It's odd to me a piece of glass from Konica has so little written about it. Eh, perhaps I'll end up writing about it.....

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jonathan, I should've said I read that already :)

It's odd to me a piece of glass from Konica has so little written about it. Eh, perhaps I'll end up writing about it.....
I don't understand why the Konica Hexanon AR (SLR) lenses don't seem to get the love and attention that's lavished on the Hexanons for Leica M and screw mount. But I'll always be grateful to Godfrey DiGiorgi and Brian Mosley for alerting me to how well the Hexanon ARs perform on m4/3 cameras.

V

Vivek

Jonathan, Konica also made at least two lenses (IIRC, one was a zoom) in Konica reflex mount for 1/2 frame (for Autoreflex A that can do full frame and half frame- I have that camera). These were smaller. I have seen one zoom.
Never used it.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Jonathan, Konica also made at least two lenses (IIRC, one was a zoom) in Konica reflex mount for 1/2 frame (for Autoreflex A that can do full frame and half frame- I have that camera). These were smaller. I have seen one zoom.
Never used it.
Vivek, I wasn't aware of the Konica Auto-Reflex full/half-frame cameras but they're described in detail at www.buhla.de. The zoom lens was the Zoom-Hexanon AR-H 47-100mm / f3.5 and you can get one from KEH.com for just USD 45.00!

Brian Mosley

I don't understand why the Konica Hexanon AR (SLR) lenses don't seem to get the love and attention that's lavished on the Hexanons for Leica M and screw mount. But I'll always be grateful to Godfrey DiGiorgi and Brian Mosley for alerting me to how well the Hexanon ARs perform on m4/3 cameras.
Thanks Jonathon :)

Cheers

Brian

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Holy Macro!

Jonathon, that is very very rare! Someone, grab that lens!

BTW, I think I have seen another zoom (35-70?).
I'm afraid I'll have to resist the temptation: I don't much care for zooms, the focal length range doesn't appeal, and -- most importantly -- there are other Hexanons on my wish list.

Yeah, that's a very good price. It's "bargain" condition, so I don't know if you'd actually make any cash flipping it.

The last one sold for $125 mint with case and caps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KONICA-HEXANON-...mera_Lenses?hash=item20af5948cd#ht_646wt_1167

As far as actually USING it, I'm guessing it is much less useful than the 35-70mm........
Given the rarity of the lens, even USD 125.00 is a very good price for a mint copy. The photographs of the lens aren't great but it does look to be in very good condition and the seller has an excellent feedback rating. KEH's "Bargain" category is, on the other hand, something of a lottery.

I did not have "flipping" in mind at all.:)
I'm shocked, Vivek, that someone might suggest you'd buy such a lens in order to flip it. :shocked:

By the way, a Konica-Revue Auto-Reflex 24x18/24x36mm with a Hexanon 52/1.8 sold on eBay last week for EUR 125.00.

Is this the model you have, Vivek? I love the 24 x 36 <-> 18 x 24 format switching lever!

Brian Mosley

Fascinating article, thanks Vivek.

What significance would mounting a high resolution lens on a half frame format camera have?

From the page you linked :
One of my favorite lenses, out of the vast high resolution, lenses is the CRT Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 lens.
Apart from being a beautiful lens, it is really a very high resolution (>250 lp/mm) lens for color photography. I mostly use it on my Nikon F-2.

However, to extract the most from its capacity, it is better used mounted on a Konica.
The Konica camera this lens is mounted is no ordinary camera!
This is the only 35mm reflex camera capable of full frame and half frame pictures on the same roll!
By the way, Guy closed down the thread on m4/3rds forums, before I was able to apologise for what you interpreted as a dispicable 'stilleto attitude' - that was not my intention, and I've sent you a PM to explain.

No hard feelings from me... hope you got the PM OK. :)

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Brian, That thread is best locked up and Guy did the right thing. No worries. We do not know each other personally. Just forget it.:)

On the 55/1.2 CRT-Nikkor. It was optimised for 1/5X. For that it works on a Nikon cam. I was trying my best to go to lower magnifications (eventually infinity). While Konica autoreflex registry (same as the current 4/3rds) allows for a bit more, it does not achieve infinity. On the real pen F, almost. On a Leica thread mount camera, it does get to infinity but only the a ~12-15mm image portion is super sharp while the rest is Keith's dream (ie., "Bokeh" fuzz).:ROTFL:

The 55/1.2 does focus to infinity with bitingly sharp images on a m4/3rds though.

An old snap.

Ilford XP-2 super.

the gear:

(The lens was fixed at infinity after careful calibration)

I have not got around to adapting the lens for m4/3rds yet.

Reversed, this lens also does superbly ~4-5.5X.

Yes, it is an esoteric, special purpose lens and easily attracts folks like me. :)

BTW: the CRT-Nikkor 55/1.2 is a classic example that illustrates the difference between illumination and coverage. :)

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Brian, That thread is best locked up and Guy did the right thing. No worries. We do not know each other personally. Just forget it.:)
I'll take that as a yes then.

Guy did the right thing to lock it up - even if it did sting a bit this end :wtf: I've copied my PM to Guy too. :)

No worries. :thumbup:

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well was not meant to sting anyone to be honest just like to keep the peace before things get out of hand. End of the day we all want to be happy and enjoy the passion for photography and make friends. Thats what this forum was born on with that in mind.

One thing I love about these 4/3rds cams is the lenses you folks dig out to try. Seen some great stuff from them.