The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noktor 50mm f0.95 micro 4/3

V

Vivek

A new company called Noktor or Cosina?

A 25mm FL, fast lens in m4/3rds mount be more useful...

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I'm really surprised that 4/3 Rumors gave this their highest (i.e. most reliable) FT5 rating. It really smells like a fake to me:

* Wouldn't the "Noktor" company have to be a member of the Four-Thirds Consortium in order to use the lens mount? There's no mention of them at four-thirds.org.
* If this is an m4/3 50mm lens, why do the specs show its angle of view as 46°? That's the angle of view of a 50mm lens on a (36 mm × 24 mm) full-frame camera.
* Is a 50mm f/0.95 lens with a 62mm filter really going to weigh 280 grams? The PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 lens has a 62mm filter and it weighs 510g.

The "Noktor" company has a domain (noktor.com) and a single page website that points to a Twitter account. I could set up something similar in less than an hour.

pellicle

just for the interested:

Domain ID:
Domain Name: noktor.com
Created On: 25-Sep-2009 00:00:00
Expiration Date: 25-Sep-2010 00:00:00
Sponsoring Registrar: 'Check Whois' (ENOM) (ENOM)
Name Server: ns785.hostgator.com
Name Server: ns786.hostgator.com
Registrant ID: Unknown
Registrant Name: WhoisGuard
Registrant Organization: Unknown
Registrant Street1: Westchester, CA 90045
Registrant Street2: Unknown
Registrant Street3: Unknown
Registrant City: US
Registrant State/Province: Unknown
Registrant Postal Code: Unknown
Registrant Country: Unknown
Registrant Phone: Unknown
Registrant Fax: Unknown
Registrant Email: Unknown
Admin ID: Unknown
Admin Name: WhoisGuard Protected
Admin Organization: Unknown
Admin Street1: 8939 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #110 - 732
Admin Street2: Unknown
Admin Street3: Unknown
Admin City: Westchester
Admin State: CA
Admin Postal Code: 90045
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.6613102107
Admin Fax: +1.6613102107
Admin Email: [email protected]

then based on their ip address of 74.54.196.194

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.
OrgID: TPCM
Address: 315 Capitol
Address: Suite 205
City: Houston
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 77002

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.theplanet.com:4321

NetRange: 74.52.0.0 - 74.55.255.255
CIDR: 74.52.0.0/14
OriginAS: AS13749, AS21844, AS30315, AS36420
NetName: NETBLK-THEPLANET-BLK-14
NetHandle: NET-74-52-0-0-1
Parent: NET-74-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.THEPLANET.COM
NameServer: NS2.THEPLANET.COM
Comment:
RegDate: 2006-02-17
Updated: 2009-02-24

RAbuseHandle: ABUSE271-ARIN
RAbuseName: The Planet Abuse
RAbusePhone: +1-281-714-3560
RAbuseEmail: [email protected]

RNOCHandle: THEPL-ARIN
RNOCName: The Planet NOC
RNOCPhone: +1-281-714-3555
RNOCEmail: [email protected]

RTechHandle: TECHN33-ARIN
RTechName: Technical Support
RTechPhone: +1-214-782-7800
RTechEmail: [email protected]

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE271-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: The Planet Abuse
OrgAbusePhone: +1-281-714-3560
OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]

OrgNOCHandle: THEPL-ARIN
OrgNOCName: The Planet NOC
OrgNOCPhone: +1-281-714-3555
OrgNOCEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: TECHN33-ARIN
OrgTechName: Technical Support
OrgTechPhone: +1-214-782-7800
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

monza

Interesting business plan: buy a stash of TV lenses, remove the cmount and replace it with a machined micro 4/3 mount.

photoSmart42

seh ... seh ... sheven hundred and thirty dollars (cough)

:eek:

say no more
That's just for the Senko itself. I expect these guys to sell their version of it for at least twice as much given the re-branding and the new lens mount they have for it.

EDIT: I wonder who the intended audience for this lens might be. People who are enamored with lens numbers without actually comparing images? They're comparing their lens to the Noctilux version, but I rather doubt when it comes down to it they'll actually have any images side-by-side to compare the two. The Senko certainly seems to have an interesting bokeh, but I'm not convinced it's worth that amount of money.

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I was wrong. The lens does exist. But I was right. It doesn't have a 46° angle of view and it doesn't weigh 280 grams. A company spokesman wrote in an email to 43rumors.com:
Thanks for the message. The company is very real. There are a couple photographers with lenses now, so there will be a lot more images and footage along with the product launch next month. The info from google’s cache is incorrect. It was placeholder text while the site was developed. The main corrections are 480g weight and 23° Angle of View.
Goals? Develop and sell the fastest lens possible :)
Interesting redefinition of the term "develop".

Jonas

Interesting redefinition of the term "develop".
Yes, and an interesting way of marketing using the µ4/3 logo, Twitter, possibly fake images and an odd domain with wrong lens data.

Maybe it is all very clever? I guess we'll know when we learn about the price.

/Jonas

pellicle

That's just for the Senko itself. I expect these guys to sell their version of it for at least twice as much given the re-branding and the new lens mount they have for it.
there is a saying in Finland which translates roughly to "its not the fool who's asking {setting} the price"

Rawfa

Yes, it all sounds kind of iffy. Could it be that the mount is micro 4/3 but that there are no electrical components involved? Meaning, it's like using the lens with an adapter (no AF, etc). I'm also guessing it will be an expenssive lens.

Rawfa

The samples looked kind of soft. I've paid around 150us$ for my Pentax f1.4 and by looking at those results I wouldn't say the other lens wa 5 times better than the Pentax (850us$ / 150us$ = 5,6666666.....). As a matter of fact the Pentax is extremely nice IMHO...of course it's not f0.95 though :)

V

Vivek

That is the point.;) Those are not f/0.95.:)

The super fast lenses are special purpose lenses.

pellicle

I'm likely going to wish I'd stayed quiet but ...

That is the point.;) Those are not f/0.95.:)

The super fast lenses are special purpose lenses.
I suspect they are all too often bought by people with no special purpose in mind