The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic lens serial numbers

M

monkeyking

I recently noticed that my Panny 20mm lens has no serial number. The GF1 camera body has one, but I've never seen a detachable lens without one.
Do the other Panny lenses have serial numbers?

chris :thumbdown:

pellicle

on my 14-45 it is stamped in very small print on the plastic at the base of the lens barrel on the opposite side to the red dot.

I only have one panasonic lens

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
both my 20 1/7s have a small serial number engraved on the plastic but opposite the red dot on the chamfered section. Look hard under good light, it is not that easy to see.
-bob

M

monkeyking

omg, you're right! I used a magnifying glass and found it. Guess my eyesight isn't what it used to be .

thanks for the quick replies. You're the best.

Diane B

Don't feel bad. I finally had to take a macro of the mount side of my Canon EF 24-70L to find the date code and blow it up to find it. You can't even see it with the naked eye, not even a magnifying glass (though the serial number is easy to find on the metal part). Getting ready to sell it and was very upset I couldn't find the date code. Thought it was my eyesight also--but now I just think they do it to make us crazy LOL.

Diane

Terry

"There's an app for that"
For all of you (including me) with eyesight that wasn't what it used to be....

I've sort of done what Diane did. I now use my iPhone camera to take a picture of it and then enlarge it on the phone screen....always with you maginfying glass.

D

duckrider

I now use my iPhone camera to take a picture of it and then enlarge it on the phone screen..
First time I see a sense in an iPhone; always using my cellular phone only for calls and nothing else;)

aaahmm, 30years ago as highscool pupil I had a Leica R3 with Summicron (I had no further valuable goods and cam was payed with HARD holiday jobs, so don't worry about that rich guy;))....
What was that Summicron good for?
Summicron for ligthning my cigarettes in the springtime sun, that's similar to the use of a cellphone to take pics:clap:

good look
Thomas

M

monkeyking

Strange that the serial number is engraved on plastic; it's so easy to sandpaper/buff off. Would it really cost more to paint it on the lens front with the other info?

chris

Godfrey

It's there, it's just small and hard to see.

I acquire all the serial numbers off new equipment the day i receive it and put them into my equipment database for records keeping. I also photograph the item, and the receipt. I keep that record with my insurance policy.

I've had to use a camera to get the serial number from various bits of equipment that have it in ridiculous and difficult to see location ... like my desktop computer. It's great to have it recorded in the database as then when some idjut customer service person on the phone insists that I supply it before asking a simple question that has nothing to do with the computer itself, I can just read it to them without acting like a contortionist to find it while on the phone.