The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7-14 lens ergonomics

M

monkeyking

Just got a deal on a 14-45mm - good performer but I had forgotten that the length of the lens would extend almost 1.5" at full telephoto.
How much does the 7-14 extend if at all?
Another surprise for me is that the lens ring zooms in the "wrong" direction, but focuses in the "right" direction. I work in the professional film/video production arena where all the lenses from different manufacturers operate in the same manner which makes life easier. Also the lenses zoom internally so the physical length remains the same.
My Canon dslr zoom lens rings focus & zoom in the "right" direction. I cannot recall Nikons focus/zoom ring directions.

Just nitpicking. Life will be fine when I can train my brain to zoom the other way with Panny lenses :) It's like driving my different cars - the controls are all in different places.

chris

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Chris,

I just tried it for you : the 7-14 does not change it's overall length when zooming !
The frontlens moves, but the sunshade (that cannot be removed) is the determining factor.

C U
Rafael

M

monkeyking

Raf,
That's good news about the internal zooming. Do you mean the front lens rotates as you zoom/focus ?

chris

f6cvalkyrie

Hi Chris,

just checked again : the frontlens moves forward and backward but the overall length is determined by the sunshade (cannot be removed).

No change in overall length when zooming or focusing.

Nothing rotates, but that does not matter very much, since the curvature of the frontlens makes it impossible to adapt filters !

C U
Rafael

CPWarner

Well, if one is a bit creative, one can adapt filters to the 7-14. I now have a model for an adapter on my computer that I will machine to allow a 105mm polarizer to be used. It will not vignette. So it is difficult, but not impossible.