The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why can't all lens diaphrams be like this one?

V

Vivek

They need not be slow. Clear aperture of Rich's Wollensak (I have a 240/4.5) is likely to be ~60-70mm.

Of course they will be expensive! Even 5 bladed ones are!

Godfrey

They need not be slow. Clear aperture of Rich's Wollensak (I have a 240/4.5) is likely to be ~60-70mm.
That's not what I mean. I mean that for an SLR, or any other auto-diaphragm camera, a many-bladed iris like this has a lot of static friction and is going to operate slowly as a result.

You'll never see a Nikon D3s running 8 fps with a lens that has an iris like this...

V

Vivek

That's not what I mean. I mean that for an SLR, or any other auto-diaphragm camera, a many-bladed iris like this has a lot of static friction and is going to operate slowly as a result.

You'll never see a Nikon D3s running 8 fps with a lens that has an iris like this...
Good point!

But, we do not have that problem with the m4/3rds and the CDAF, do we?:ROTFL:

BTW, Rich, I checked a few Kodak Anastigmats I have (and the Raptars) all have round apertures. The Schneider Clarons have them, APO Nikkors (process lenses) have them...

Godfrey

Good point!
But, we do not have that problem with the m4/3rds and the CDAF, do we?
Well, all lenses built to date for Micro-FourThirds are designed for open-aperture metering and focusing with auto-iris operation. The cameras don't need it to operate well, but it does help.

RichA

Good point!

But, we do not have that problem with the m4/3rds and the CDAF, do we?:ROTFL:

BTW, Rich, I checked a few Kodak Anastigmats I have (and the Raptars) all have round apertures. The Schneider Clarons have them, APO Nikkors (process lenses) have them...
I've even seen some c-mount lenses with inward facing scallops on the aperture blades! Interesting what you come across.

D

duckrider

Aaaaahm, a D3s not, but my F2H will do 10per second with that lens:sleep006::
reason is: On the F2High speed the Nikkor lenses are always in stop down mode. If You press the "stop dowm" knob diaphragms open.
Camera was not able to close & open diaphragms 10 times a second....

be fast
Thomas