The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH1 owners opinion requested

C

CalBoy87

Hi. I am on fence now and would like to hear your opinion. First, as I live in Korea, I have no access to GH1 (for some strange reason they import G1 and GF1 but skip GH1). I had Canon 40D, 5D, shooting mostly daylight landscapes, portraits, using tripod, MLU, occasional some indoor event pictures. As I got fed up with carrying all these gear I sold all of it and now I am in virgin stage, can go either way. I narrow my choices to either Canon 550D or GH1. Both are size and price similar and acceptable by me. My only concern is about IQ coming from them. I know what to expect from 550D, I assume it will be very similar to 7D, a bit better from 500D (which I saw and took few shots I liked). I never had a chance to handle GH1, Samsung NX is too small for me (doesn't have any grip) and I think GH1 would be a bit but better to hold. I like smaller DOF in APS-C sensor, like bright screen and bigger sensor of 550D. I like swiveling, 100% view LCD, aperture and shutter preview, AF during video, no need for MLU, lens adjustment and so on. On features GH1 is better to me, but how about IQ? My main concern is:

1) can I get similar shallow DOF? I will be using Olympus 50/1.4, 35/2.0 and Canon 28,35/2.8 and 35/2.0.

2) sharpness and color, can I get similar colors from GH1 as warm tones of Canon? I am shooting RAW only, using C1 for PP

3) how about DR and noise, comparing to APS-C sensor? I rarely shoot over 800 ISO, but would like to have this option if needed, I am not expecting to be even close to 5D, but 40D level would be good enough for me.

So, to all of you who were using APS-C or FF before - how do you compare them to your GH1. Sorry for so many questions but as I said, I have no chance to get my hands on any GH1 and you are my only (very appreciated source of information - web reviewsl are very inconsistent). Thank you for valuable advice.

P.S. I KNOW there won't be GH2 until late this summer so waiting is not an option

pellicle

Hi
1) can I get similar shallow DOF? I will be using Olympus 50/1.4, 35/2.0 and Canon 28,35/2.8 and 35/2.0.
you know, aside from video there is almost nothing different between G1 and GH1. If you can take a media card to a place with a G1 and test you will find exactly what it will look like.

if the Canon lenses you mention are EF lenses you will not have AF or useful aperture control, if FD you will have aperture control ...

miahnhamnida

C

CalBoy87

Lenses are FD, I don't mind using MF and aperture, there is not many fast primes for Micro 4/3 now, so I can use those either on GH1 or 550D, although for Canon Olympus OM are much better

Jonas

Over at another forum somebody asked a similar question the other day. I have a reply in that thread and you can find it here.

You also ask about colours. If you shoot raw there should be no problems. I haven't used C1 lately but I guess you can calibrate your camera to the same starting point as with any other camera just as you can do in ACR or Lightroom.

I don't know if this helps a lot... pellicle's advice about trying a G1 is sound - but you'll get a notch less noise with the GH1 (to my understanding). When comparing the µ4/3 cameras with the APS-C crowd I have never seen a lot of performance difference. The main difference is the slower, and better or worse way you work with the CAF and Live View system.

Reading your post again I think you should give the G1/GH1 or E-P2 a good look - they should all do what you want a camera to do unless your images are aimed for a billboard. There is no need to worry about "sharpness". I don't know about noise levels fro the 40D but Imaging resource can provide you with raw files from either camera and then you can compare using your own eyes.

Good luck,

/Jonas

pellicle

Jonas

while I share great enthusiasm for the micro 4/3 I feel that there needs to be a qualification on this statement

Reading your post again I think you should give the G1/GH1 or E-P2 a good look - they should all do what you want a camera to do unless your images are aimed for a billboard.
and that is that for landscapes, portraits and still life photographs I would tend to agree with you, but with my friends racing club hill climb event on my mind and having done a little athletics and sports photography in the past there are other issues in the system (not related to image quality) which make cameras like the 4/3 + SWD lenses : Canon with USM ring motor and similar Nikon equipment essential or at the least far easier to work with and get reliable consistent results. Important if you're getting repeat business depends on this.

As much as I love my G1 its a point which is often glossed over and makes us seem like fan-boys to ignore it.

From the sound of the OP's question however I don't think these will be issues and I reckon he should look seriously at the E-P2 camera as its IBIS will be a potential benefit in any free hand shooting with legacy lenses.

Jonas

Jonas
while I share great enthusiasm for the micro 4/3 I feel that there needs to be a qualification on this statement (...)
Of course pellicle. My reply was written with the CalBoy87's original post in mind. He says he doesn't mind handling the focusing and the exposure manually, and his main subjects don't seem to move that fast.

Then there is no doubt that µ4/3 cameras focuses slower than the faster DSLR cameras, and have a viewfinder lag. The sensor is also smaller with all the pros and cons associated with that.

The day a good FF LIVE camera surfaces I'll be very interested. But all this is outside the scope.

Hey, what does miahnhamnida mean more than "I'm sorry"?

regards,

/Jonas

C

CalBoy87

Then there is no doubt that µ4/3 cameras focuses slower than the faster DSLR cameras, and have a viewfinder lag. The sensor is also smaller with all the pros and cons associated with that.

Hey, what does miahnhamnida mean more than "I'm sorry"?

regards,

/Jonas
Thanks for reply. I don't do BIF, F1 racing and kids are not on the menu, so fast focusing is not an issue here. I am worried about low light EVF visibility though.
Yes, FF mirrorless camera would be something to check out.
As far as I know, miahnhamnida is only I am sorry, but my Korean is very, very limited.