The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Low Profile c-mount adapter...

pellicle

thanks for bringing that up ... actually it looks similar to Hawkpeng's one

but I didn't spot the price in that article ...

monza

I have a Hawk adapter, this new one appears to be lower profile on the edge, being completely flat. Not sure which lenses this may help...maybe MS Optical would know?

gmoe

Very nice post monza, if I knew this was made, I should have kept my Fujinon TV zooms which needed this lower profile c-mount to achieve infinity focus. Darn! Oh, well! I think I may pick up this adapter to test out with another lowprofile lens. Maybe this will help with the Senko 50mm .95! Thanks again!

photoSmart42

I have a Hawk adapter, this new one appears to be lower profile on the edge, being completely flat. Not sure which lenses this may help...maybe MS Optical would know?
It could help a lot of c-mount lenses actually if they built it correctly. The c-mount lenses don't fit completely flush against the bottom of the adapter, but sit on the lip that's near the center thread. From what I've measured on my c-mount lenses, that center section is about 0.5-0.6mm thick, and has a radius of about 15mm from the lens center. If this flatter adapter fits those dimensions, then it eliminates the inside interference issue. The flatter outer ring of the adapter can then eliminate the second interference issue, which is the edge of the lens mount in some cases. This promises to allow quite a few lenses to fit without machining.

Here's a dimensioned drawing I did a few months back to help me figure out how much to machine off my lenses (to fit the Kipon C-mount adapter that's shown dimensioned at the top):

Last edited:

sangio

Thanks for the link Monza.

I noticed on their site that they will custom fit a Cosmicar 12.5 f1.4 to this adapter. Does that mean that this lens will not focus at infinity without some machining?

regards
Santo

V

Vivek

Hawk Peng's adapter was offered initially for $15/-?! Price stabilized to where it is now after a few months.

While I understand MS Optical's price, I can not understand why anyone would bother buying them.

sangio

Just FYI, I wrote to the folks at Japan Exposures about their custom lens machining service.

They tell me it would cost between $55 and $75 USD to machine a lens for a proper fit. So with the cost of their adapter, it would total around $175 to $195, not including shipping. I'm guessing it would be around $250 USD all in.

They also indicated that turn-around time would normally be about one week.

regards
Santo

photoSmart42

Just FYI, I wrote to the folks at Japan Exposures about their custom lens machining service.

They tell me it would cost between $55 and $75 USD to machine a lens for a proper fit. So with the cost of their adapter, it would total around $175 to $195, not including shipping. I'm guessing it would be around $250 USD all in.

They also indicated that turn-around time would normally be about one week.

regards
Santo
Sounds a bit ridiculous to put all that cash into a $25 lens, don't you think? It may not be pretty, but it's MUCH cheaper to grind the lens mount by hand. I guess it's worth it for a lens that costs over $1000, but even then I bet you can find a local machine shop that can do it for you for under $100.

sangio

Sounds a bit ridiculous to put all that cash into a $25 lens, don't you think? It may not be pretty, but it's MUCH cheaper to grind the lens mount by hand. I guess it's worth it for a lens that costs over $1000, but even then I bet you can find a local machine shop that can do it for you for under $100.
Yes, it's a bit pricey. I think I may get the hawk peng adapter and borrow a dremel grinding tool.

regards
Santo

Y.B.Hudson III

soooo... what happens when my $25 lens out performs a $3,600 lens? :ROTFL:

photoSmart42

soooo... what happens when my $25 lens out performs a $3,600 lens? :ROTFL:
Not sure what that has anything to do with what I wrote. If it makes you feel better to spend $250 on a $25 lens that shoots like a $3600 lens, go for it. I'm happy grinding mine by hand. If I screw something up, I can buy another 9 lenses to get it right and still come out ahead of paying for having a single lens machined... At the very least, I certainly don't feel like having to ship a simple machining job to Japan when I have about 100 local machine shops in town hungry for work.

A

alanwf

I turned down the mount on my 12.5 1.4 cosmicar to fit into a generic C mount. We have a large “jeweller’s lathe” in my shop. Machine shops should charge under $100, but it is a bit tricky in terms of the three screw holes that mount the rear flange onto the lens. I needed to cut slightly into these holes (and still don’t have full infinity focus), even with also trimming down that .55mm step that one of the earlier poster’s mentioned. So this flatter adapter would help a lot.

I don’t think my cosmicar is a good sample though; resolution is not a strong point. I do like the vignetting (mainly shoot square with it) and don’t mind the softness, but I find I tend to think of it when I want a “style” rather than a low light wide ange lens (which I still don’t have). I may get another sample just to try though—I ‘ve done all the work...