The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yes! Sigma plans to join micro 4/3!!!

Rawfa

If this turns out to be true it might be a dream camera come true for me. Sigma is planing to develop a system along the terms of the micro 4/3 system with their foveon sensor (it might even be a micro 4/3!)! AND it will probably produce lenses for micro 4/3 and the Samsung NX system. In the interview the Sigma representative show a big interest in zooms...it would be great if they released a micro 4/3 14-50mm with a constant f2.8 (or even f2.0).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022210sigmainterview.asp

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Would be great if we see a Foveon based mirrorless camera. Hopefully with the "new" Foveon sensor he talks about which should be also better at higher ISO. Maybe it works out ;)

On mirrorless camera side I rather think they will stay with the APSC size sensor and not join M43 here. But anyway it is good that they might develop M43 lenses.

PeterB666

I think they will be sticking with an APSC sized sensor too. I cannot imagine that Sigma has done anything other than loose a bucketload of money on the Foveon sensor and their cameras have not been the most balanced performers in the world.

T

Tikkis

If this turns out to be true it might be a dream camera come true for me. Sigma is planing to develop a system along the terms of the micro 4/3 system with their foveon sensor (it might even be a micro 4/3!)! AND it will probably produce lenses for micro 4/3 and the Samsung NX system. In the interview the Sigma representative show a big interest in zooms...it would be great if they released a micro 4/3 14-50mm with a constant f2.8 (or even f2.0).
It has come to my knowledge that Sigma has been participating in the 4/3 group actions from the beginning of this format. If I am not mistaken Sigma has been manufacturing lenses for at least under Olympus-brand. These would be the cheaper lens models, like the entry-level kit lenses.
Against this background it wouldn't be surpricing if Sigma would be able to broaden their own product line including more 4/3-standard products.

Tikkis

retow

It has come to my knowledge that Sigma has been participating in the 4/3 group actions from the beginning of this format. If I am not mistaken Sigma has been manufacturing lenses for at least under Olympus-brand. These would be the cheaper lens models, like the entry-level kit lenses.
Against this background it wouldn't be surpricing if Sigma would be able to broaden their own product line including more 4/3-standard products.

Tikkis
Cheaper is always good. But what the mft format really needs is better lenses, except the current 20mm one, none in the lines up of Pana or Oly are "must haves", except maybe the Pana 7-14mm. The benchmark should be Oly's 4/3 premium zooms, i.e a 12-60 or 14-54 II mft equivalent would be great.