Site Sponsors

Thread: Old Collapsible lenses (M39)- can you collapse them on M 4/3 body?

Post Thanks / Like

Old Collapsible lenses (M39)- can you collapse them on M 4/3 body?

Does anyone know if old M39 collapsible lenses can be collapsed in a M 4/3 body? (without destroying the sensor of course.)

I was thinking about getting an old Industar 22 to play around with, something like that. The flange distance is of course the same with an adapter on M 4/3, but there's all the other stuff in a M 4/3 body.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Collapsible lenses (M39)- can you collapse them on M 4/3 body?

Almost. Turn the lens to closest focus and you'll be able to put it in with about 1/4 in of the barrel still outside the lens mount. I have an old nickel elmar I've used on the GF1.

Now, if you wanted to try something, maybe grind down the locking ridges ( whatever the are called ) and it might go all the way in to the sensor

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Too bad, I thought it would be cool on a E-P1/GF1 if the lens could be collapsed.

I already have a Industar 26 (I got on a Fed 2), so won't bother looking for a 22...

Post Thanks / Like

The I-22 is nice on the E-P1, even if it doesn't fully collapse. It would be nice if it had a double collapsing tube.... like those collapsible drinking cups for camping ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I have my eye on a beater collapsible Summicron (LTM) right now. That this one collapses is irrelevant to me, but maybe this one can actually collapse on-body. It only collapses about 1/2", and the extra LTM flange distance itself makes up for most of that (8mm).