Site Sponsors

Thread: Food for fast lens lovers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Food for fast lens lovers.

There are a lot of rumors going on about a new brand called Noktor presenting a 50mm/0.95 lens 1 of march.
    Suposed to be a rebranding of the known C mount Senko lens according to this site;
    http://thephoblographer.com/2010/02/...be-from-senko/

Exiting news!

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Food for fast lens lovers.

I want one.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Second that
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, I don't.
    More food for thoughts in this thread.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will gladly accept one if offered to me at no cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    There are a lot of rumors going on about a new brand called Noktor presenting a 50mm/0.95 lens 1 of march.
    Suposed to be a rebranding of the known C mount Senko lens according to this site;
    http://thephoblographer.com/2010/02/...be-from-senko/

Exiting news!

Michiel
    With a price tag of $750, and if the lens delivers decent image quality, this lens will sells and I doubt that they can meet demands .
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    With a price tag of $750, and if the lens delivers decent image quality, this lens will sells and I doubt that they can meet demands .
    There's NO WAY the lens offered by Noktor will have a price tag of $750! The base Senko lens is priced at that amount. Given that Noktor has taken that lens and added their own m4/3 adapter and their own branding, and given they're targeting this at a consumer market and not the industrial market, I'm guessing you'll see prices at least double that of the original Senko lens. I'd be very surprised if this lens will be marketed at anything less than $1500.

Post Thanks / Like

HeLLo... Voightlander 1.1 sells for $1,100...*

* I have enough paper weights, thank you...**

** an' [email protected] weights are fast becoming obsolete.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    There's NO WAY the lens offered by Noktor will have a price tag of $750! The base Senko lens is priced at that amount. Given that Noktor has taken that lens and added their own m4/3 adapter and their own branding, and given they're targeting this at a consumer market and not the industrial market, I'm guessing you'll see prices at least double that of the original Senko lens. I'd be very surprised if this lens will be marketed at anything less than $1500.
    Noktor is to close to Nokton as a brandname to my taste.
    Well, if these lenses are made in China they will be at least cheaper the the Voightländers from Japan.
    The lenses are already there, just change the mount and they have a few more possibiltys.
    If I can put one straight on the camera without any adapter and it costs around $ 750,-- (Yes, dollars I hope ) why not?

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am intrigued with the idea that somehow if something is made in China, it would be cheaper. Take a look at Nikon's current zoom and prices.

There is little chance that this lens will be offered for $750/-.

As some of us had discussed before, quite a few of these (c-mount or no mount) got sold on eBay. I passed on several at 55 UKP.

Like Hudson, I also have several doorstops and I do not need to add this one to the pile and heavens forbid, pay for it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It surely will be cheaper to manufacture in China, Vivek. But as you indicate, in Nikon's case it just means more profit for them.

But I believe these lenses have already been manufactured, and were acquired at surplus...

As far as 'Noktor' is concerned, they should do a trademark search, and if it is open, it's theirs to register. There are so many similar brand names in the photo gear business, this is just another one.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how international trademark registration works. I know Noktor would be impossible to register here in Sweden as Noktor is too easy to mix up with Nokton (which is registered within the EU, and, as a safe guess, world-wide, by Voigtländer GMBH).

Looking at the Noktor guys' home site and seeing how they handled the introduction of their µ4/3 mount Senko lens (factual errors, odd channels and ugliness in general, lack of info and so on) I'm not sure they know a lot about trademarks at all.

As a sidenote this is an interesting thread; I find I'm in agreement with both Y.B.Hudson III and Vivek at the same time. OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek
    The lenses are already there, just change the mount and they have a few more possibiltys.
    Quote Originally Posted by monza
    But I believe these lenses have already been manufactured, and were acquired at surplus...
    It's irrelevant how they acquired these existing lenses. If Senko is an active company (I believe they are: SenkoADL), they won't allow someone to take some of their existing products, modify them, slap on a new name, and sell them for profit as something else without permission (i.e. licensing). That's fine to do for personal use, but not as a new product with a new name. Had they simply just sold a modified mount mount along with the existing Senko lens (or by itself), they would be OK.

Having said that, it's possible that they did get licensing rights from Senko (doubtful), and it's also possible that Senko would not even notice them (until they appear in some news release and Senko recognizes their lens as someone else's product).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There is no requirement to license a product for this, legally or otherwise. It may be wise to work with Senko to guarantee a continuing supply, but something tells me this is a marketing campaign and a brand name combined with surplus lenses, nothing more.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dragos, Robert- I do not think this is a lens to fight over.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    There is no requirement to license a product for this, legally or otherwise.
    That's not entirely true, and it steps into complex trade and copyright infringement rules. If these are indeed surplus of used lenses re-branded, Noktor would be required to state that and wouldn't be allowed to sell them as new products. They might also run into trade dress infringement if they keep product features on the lens that easily identify them as the original Senko lenses (which clearly people already have).

It doesn't matter to me one way or another - I wouldn't buy one. Just thinking that I hope they have a good IP/trademark lawyer on staff to advise them on their marketing efforts. Good on them if they can actually turn a profit from their efforts!

EDIT: Vivek - agreed. I'm done now =)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Dragos, Robert- I do not think this is a lens to fight over.
    It never occured to me that lenses were made to fight over. Always thought they were made to record images.

Michiel

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed.

But we are not 'fighting' over lenses at this point, just casually discussing whether copyright laws apply to the resale of product with a value-add (in this case, a machined lens mount.)

My position is that copyright laws have nothing to do with this at all, and that there are no laws regarding whether or not they were to leave references to Senko. (Also 'surplus' does not imply 'used.')

Feel free to post links to such laws, if they indeed exist, I'd like to see them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    It never occured to me that lenses were made to fight over. Always thought they were made to record images.

Michiel
    I have heard that photographers do use the lens (bigger ones) for self defense purpose under certain situation
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Post Thanks / Like

i want one too

seomul

I wanna get it

Post Thanks / Like

I was just reading the videographer Philip Bloom's blog and came upon this post by Philip "I was contacted last night by a company called Noktor who are going to loan me their new 50mm F 0.95 lens for the micro four thirds system for a couple of weeks. I have no idea how much it will cost but as soon as it get it I will stick on my Lumix GF1 as I don’t have my GH1 with me and take some video and stills. SUPER FAST!!" and thought I would add it here as I remembered reading this thread about it. Some might want to follow his blog for his review.
    http://philipbloom.co.uk/blog/

Diane