The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zoom lens question

peterb

Assuming price or lens bulk is not an issue but IQ is, which is a better optic on a G1?

The Lumix 14-140mm f4.0-5.8 (with no need for an adapter)?

Or, the Leica 14-150mm f3.5-5.4 (with the Panasonic Adapter)?

According to Panasonic, the Leica 4/3's zoom will work with the G1's AF.

Need to get an opinion before a trip to Hawaii.

Thanks

photoSmart42

I would think the lack of AF using the Leica lens would make it much less usable above ~75mm without a tripod or support of some kind. Aside from that, I don't know about the IQ difference between the two lenses. I have the 14-140 and I like it a lot. It's in my travel kit bag along with the 20/1.7.

peterb

According to the Lumix website, the Leica Lens DOES work with the G1's AF. Single AF only, though. Not continuous.

Arjuna

I think that photoSmart42 meant to say 'lack of IS', hence the reference to the need for a tripod.

peterb

No OIS? Yes, that's true. But what about the optics? Is the Leica optic significantly better than the Lumix?

peterb

Just re-checked. You're right. SO again my question stands. What's the better optic? Anyone have experience with both lenses?