Site Sponsors

Thread: Getting better jpegs from G1?

Post Thanks / Like

Getting better jpegs from G1?

I am trying out G1 and E-PL1. The more I like G1 as a camera, I am bit hesitant to keep it mainly due to its straight out of camera jpeg (all default settings). Now I know that Oly is probably best when it comes out to out of camera jpeg, but I am looking for at least reasonably acceptable level jpegs for casual/family snaps.

Are there any settings that will help me improve jpegs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting better jpegs from G1?

mine are fine, what's "wrong" with them?? You don't give many clues

Post Thanks / Like

I will post some samples later in the day. Basically they are too soft to a level where I am thinking if its problem with the kit I have (got open box from Amazon)

Also most of my shots (moving kid) coming out of focus when in similar situation, E-PL1 is able it get it right..may be I am missing something

Post Thanks / Like

ok .. soft?

mine are very good, especially the kit lens

I can't comment with focus issues, but are you using same focal length? Do you have the G1 set to AF-S or AF-C? Are you using face? is it focusing on the furniture?

I use AF tracking to good effect with kids

Post Thanks / Like

Since you bought an opened box, I suggest you first reset the camera to its default settings. The previous owner might have set some values that may not produce results to your liking.

As far as softness is concerned, check the film mode the camera is set to. Some will produce soft images. For sharper images, use Standard (Sat set to + 1), Dynamic or Vivid. If you want to use Smooth, set Sharp to +1 or +2.

As for focus issues while shooting moving subjects, it's all about speed. Make sure the shutter is at least 1/500. You may have to increase the ISO if lighting condition is not good. I don't particularly like face detection, so I have it turned off.
    Tullio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would say that Panasonic JPG's are not soft at all, and I sometimes use the RAW version to get soft results. If you may post some photos, we can tell if there's something wrong with your settings or maybe wiyh the lens.

Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

for Mac...users: the jpgs previewed in finder appear soft, however the same jpg opened in Ps is as sharp as a Raw file... The color balance is a different matter though