The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Relieved! No need for Noktor.

photoSmart42

I'm likewise quite happy with my Canon FL 55/1.2 for one seventh of the price of the Noktor, and with my Computar-TV 25/1.3 for one fortieth of the price of the Noktor.

K

Kewk

Very nice. How is focusing?

The old 55mm 1.2 is temping as well, for about $150.

D

Devon Shaw

Nice shot Michiel.
I must say I'm rather jealous.

I've been disappointed with the quality of the images I've gotten out of the FL 55mm f/1.2. Too soft and not contrasty enough for my tastes. I've found great results with the FD 50mm f/1.4 though. Been my go to portrait lens of the last few months..

photoSmart42

I've been disappointed with the quality of the images I've gotten out of the FL 55mm f/1.2. Too soft and not contrasty enough for my tastes. I've found great results with the FD 50mm f/1.4 though. Been my go to portrait lens of the last few months..
I've actually been pretty happy with the sharpness of the FL 55/1.2. I expected it to be a bit soft, which is nice for portraits, but it's sharper than I expected. Here are test shots with some of my fast lenses (all fully open; hand-held GH1 ISO800 ~50 shutter speed; night-time soft room lighting):

Computar 25/1.3

Canon FL 55/1.2

Canon FD 50/1.4

Panasonic 20/1.7

Last edited:
Check the equipment for sale thread if you are interested in the FD 50 1.4. I'm selling one with an adapter for $75 - Beautiful lens.

K

Kewk

Show, does the adapter also work with breech lock lenses?

D

Devon Shaw

photosmart42 - Thanks for those examples. Hmm. Perhaps I need to take another look at the sample 55mm I have... or maybe is just photographer error on my part..
I think I would still end up using the 1.4 most of the time though, due mainly to the immense weight difference I found between the two and the fact that it's usually stopped down to f/2 for me anyways. E-P1 feels rather off balance with the 55mm, though I love the solid look of it.

D

Devon Shaw

Show, does the adapter also work with breech lock lenses?
As far as I know any of the FD adapters will work with FL lenses, mine does at least, just like the FD cameras will work with FL lenses.

photoSmart42

photosmart42 - Thanks for those examples. Hmm. Perhaps I need to take another look at the sample 55mm I have... or maybe is just photographer error on my part..
The thing to note about the 55/1.2 in particular is the VERY shallow DOF, so it's quite easy at full aperture to be OOF. Additionally, the edges of the focus zone are soft, so it's difficult to notice when you fall off until you're way off. I was even having trouble with these photos hand-held, but thankfully my experience with hand-held macro came in handy. I would normally use a faster shutter speed than 1/40 to minimize movement and take the photo as I'm going through the focus point, but I didn't feel like setting up additional lighting for this test. With the other lenses it was easier to focus.

My next test will be something that tests the quality of the focus zone with my lenses full open, and for that I'll set up something more stable with appropriate lighting.

-Dragos

pellicle

I've actually been pretty happy with the sharpness of the FL 55/1.2. I expected it to be a bit soft, which is nice for portraits, but it's sharper than I expected. Here are test shots with some of my fast lenses (all fully open; hand-held GH1 ISO800 ~50 shutter speed; night-time soft room lighting):

Computar 25/1.3

Canon FL 55/1.2

Canon FD 50/1.4

Panasonic 20/1.7
real interesting ... any chance of repeating the Computar 25 and Pana 20 with the camera moved to keep the can more or less the same size?

photoSmart42

real interesting ... any chance of repeating the Computar 25 and Pana 20 with the camera moved to keep the can more or less the same size?
Sure. Here they are. Tried getting them about as close as possible in size and lighting (that was quite an task, but good practice). These are JPEGs from the camera, which means the 20/1.7 is corrected for SA/CA, while the 25/1.3 is not. GH1, ISO200, 1/160, PS4 PP (just auto-tone).

Panasonic 20/1.7 full open

Computar 25/1.3 full open

Enjoy.
-Dragos

Michiel Schierbeek

Sure. Here they are. Tried getting them about as close as possible in size and lighting (that was quite an task, but good practice). These are JPEGs from the camera, which means the 20/1.7 is corrected for SA/CA, while the 25/1.3 is not. GH1, ISO200, 1/160, PS4 PP (just auto-tone).

Enjoy.
-Dragos
Very informative. Prefer the Pana. More crisp.

Michiel

V

Vivek

Yehh... the panny's pretty good for still lifes...not much of a chance to miss the shot while the iris is blinking...:)
Now, now, no need to be waxing poetry on a lens that fluoresces (someone posted a link to a blog by a guy who went to Nepal and found the lens did not meter well in the Himalayas- not a problem for the others;)) and has been declared to be void of any flares by a review outfit (that also tweaked the MTF figures after a brief discussion here) and is in very high demand because of its controlled sale numbers. ;)

Last edited: