Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Half the price, a little heavy, but good enough for me.
    G1 + Canon FD 85L at 1.2
    Michiel

    -

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    I'm likewise quite happy with my Canon FL 55/1.2 for one seventh of the price of the Noktor, and with my Computar-TV 25/1.3 for one fortieth of the price of the Noktor.

  3. #3
    Kewk
    Guest

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Very nice. How is focusing?

    The old 55mm 1.2 is temping as well, for about $150.

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kewk View Post
    Very nice. How is focusing?
    Thin DOF takes time. General fast lens problem in the dark.
    No artificial light was used.
    Order anything in focus not to move, only in expression.
    Michiel

  5. #5
    Senior Member Devon Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Nice shot Michiel.
    I must say I'm rather jealous.

    I've been disappointed with the quality of the images I've gotten out of the FL 55mm f/1.2. Too soft and not contrasty enough for my tastes. I've found great results with the FD 50mm f/1.4 though. Been my go to portrait lens of the last few months..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Shaw View Post
    I've been disappointed with the quality of the images I've gotten out of the FL 55mm f/1.2. Too soft and not contrasty enough for my tastes. I've found great results with the FD 50mm f/1.4 though. Been my go to portrait lens of the last few months..
    I've actually been pretty happy with the sharpness of the FL 55/1.2. I expected it to be a bit soft, which is nice for portraits, but it's sharper than I expected. Here are test shots with some of my fast lenses (all fully open; hand-held GH1 ISO800 ~50 shutter speed; night-time soft room lighting):

    Computar 25/1.3


    Canon FL 55/1.2


    Canon FD 50/1.4


    Panasonic 20/1.7
    Last edited by photoSmart42; 1st March 2010 at 18:32.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Check the equipment for sale thread if you are interested in the FD 50 1.4. I'm selling one with an adapter for $75 - Beautiful lens.

  8. #8
    Kewk
    Guest

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Show, does the adapter also work with breech lock lenses?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Devon Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    photosmart42 - Thanks for those examples. Hmm. Perhaps I need to take another look at the sample 55mm I have... or maybe is just photographer error on my part..
    I think I would still end up using the 1.4 most of the time though, due mainly to the immense weight difference I found between the two and the fact that it's usually stopped down to f/2 for me anyways. E-P1 feels rather off balance with the 55mm, though I love the solid look of it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Devon Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kewk View Post
    Show, does the adapter also work with breech lock lenses?
    As far as I know any of the FD adapters will work with FL lenses, mine does at least, just like the FD cameras will work with FL lenses.

  11. #11
    Kewk
    Guest

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Which one do you have Devon?

    Thanks

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Shaw View Post
    photosmart42 - Thanks for those examples. Hmm. Perhaps I need to take another look at the sample 55mm I have... or maybe is just photographer error on my part..
    The thing to note about the 55/1.2 in particular is the VERY shallow DOF, so it's quite easy at full aperture to be OOF. Additionally, the edges of the focus zone are soft, so it's difficult to notice when you fall off until you're way off. I was even having trouble with these photos hand-held, but thankfully my experience with hand-held macro came in handy. I would normally use a faster shutter speed than 1/40 to minimize movement and take the photo as I'm going through the focus point, but I didn't feel like setting up additional lighting for this test. With the other lenses it was easier to focus.

    My next test will be something that tests the quality of the focus zone with my lenses full open, and for that I'll set up something more stable with appropriate lighting.

    -Dragos

  13. #13
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    I've actually been pretty happy with the sharpness of the FL 55/1.2. I expected it to be a bit soft, which is nice for portraits, but it's sharper than I expected. Here are test shots with some of my fast lenses (all fully open; hand-held GH1 ISO800 ~50 shutter speed; night-time soft room lighting):

    Computar 25/1.3

    Canon FL 55/1.2

    Canon FD 50/1.4

    Panasonic 20/1.7
    real interesting ... any chance of repeating the Computar 25 and Pana 20 with the camera moved to keep the can more or less the same size?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    50mm 1.4 has been sold.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    real interesting ... any chance of repeating the Computar 25 and Pana 20 with the camera moved to keep the can more or less the same size?
    Sure. Here they are. Tried getting them about as close as possible in size and lighting (that was quite an task, but good practice). These are JPEGs from the camera, which means the 20/1.7 is corrected for SA/CA, while the 25/1.3 is not. GH1, ISO200, 1/160, PS4 PP (just auto-tone).

    Panasonic 20/1.7 full open


    Computar 25/1.3 full open


    Enjoy.
    -Dragos

  16. #16
    Senior Member Devon Shaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kewk View Post
    Which one do you have Devon?

    Thanks
    I believe this is the one,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/adapter-for-FD-l...1#ht_907wt_941

    was just shopping by price really... I've been very pleased with it.

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kewk View Post
    Show, does the adapter also work with breech lock lenses?
    Look in this thread; http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...non+fd+adapter

    Not all adapters work with breech lock lenses. I know because at first I bought one which only takes the all black newer FD lenses.

    pellicle knows all about it and I bought the ciecio adapter from Poland.
    Very good!

    Michiel

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Sure. Here they are. Tried getting them about as close as possible in size and lighting (that was quite an task, but good practice). These are JPEGs from the camera, which means the 20/1.7 is corrected for SA/CA, while the 25/1.3 is not. GH1, ISO200, 1/160, PS4 PP (just auto-tone).

    Enjoy.
    -Dragos
    Very informative. Prefer the Pana. More crisp.

    Michiel

  19. #19
    Senior Member Y.B.Hudson III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Yehh... the panny's pretty good for still lifes...not much of a chance to miss the shot while the iris is blinking...

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    Yehh... the panny's pretty good for still lifes...not much of a chance to miss the shot while the iris is blinking...
    Now, now, no need to be waxing poetry on a lens that fluoresces (someone posted a link to a blog by a guy who went to Nepal and found the lens did not meter well in the Himalayas- not a problem for the others) and has been declared to be void of any flares by a review outfit (that also tweaked the MTF figures after a brief discussion here) and is in very high demand because of its controlled sale numbers.
    Last edited by Vivek; 3rd March 2010 at 03:39.

  21. #21
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Sure. Here they are. Tried getting them about as close as possible in size and lighting (that was quite an task, but good practice). These are JPEGs from the camera, which means the 20/1.7 is corrected for SA/CA, while the 25/1.3 is not. GH1, ISO200, 1/160, PS4 PP (just auto-tone).
    that is very helpful

    what did the 25 set you back?

    vignetting isn't too bad at that aperture, but I'm leaning towards the 20 for its integration with the rest of the camera.

  22. #22
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    and is in very high demand because of its controlled sale numbers.
    I would add to that the following:

    - net forums talking it up
    - people going weak at the knees and saying "ouh ... its a twenty, that exotic in camera lenses
    - absolutely no competition

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    vignetting isn't too bad at that aperture, but I'm leaning towards the 20 for its integration with the rest of the camera.

    That Pellicle is a key advantage of the Pana 20 over the rest. Not many ( I was shocked in the beginning but have resigned to that as being a fact of life) are willing to buy an adapter and tweak an existing lens to use it.

  24. #24
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That Pellicle is a key advantage of the Pana 20 over the rest. Not many ( I was shocked in the beginning but have resigned to that as being a fact of life) are willing to buy an adapter and tweak an existing lens to use it.
    sure, but you know that's not me :-)



    3 different adaptors, on 3 different lenses (well, ok, two are C Mounts)

    I love to sort out how and what and if its worth it and why ;-)

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    All those 3 score 10+ for cuteness factor. I do not find them useful. YMMV.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    what did the 25 set you back?

    vignetting isn't too bad at that aperture, but I'm leaning towards the 20 for its integration with the rest of the camera.
    I paid $20 USD for that 25/1.3, and it came with a CCTV camera (which I may use once I start playing around with photomicrography)! The ONLY complaint I have about this lens is that the aperture ring is a bit stiff, so there are times when the lens starts to turn out of the c-mount adapter when I change aperture. That should get fixed ones I get my mini lathe and start making my own m4/3 adapters. All in all, for what I paid for this lens I'm VERY happy.

    I happen to like the vignetting effect of this lens. The 20 is nice, and I do use it occasionally, but mostly my wife takes it to use on her G1. The constant focus hunting of the lens (or whatever it's doing in auto mode) makes me put it in MF mode when walking around, which takes away the 'integration' advantages. Still, it has character, and I'm happy with it as well, especially since I got it pretty cheap.

    -Dragos

  27. #27
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    All those 3 score 10+ for cuteness factor. I do not find them useful. YMMV.
    the 110 50mm is the most useful of the trio

  28. #28
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Relieved! No need for Noktor.

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    I happen to like the vignetting effect of this lens. The 20 is nice, and I do use it occasionally, but mostly my wife takes it to use on her G1. The constant focus hunting of the lens (or whatever it's doing in auto mode) makes me put it in MF mode when walking around, which takes away the 'integration' advantages.
    to me the drag of MF on these lenses is that every time the camera power cycles off you loose your focus setting.

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •