The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any large sensor c-mount lenses hit the surplus market?

RichA

They make them now for 1.3" CCTV sensors as well as even larger sensors. I haven't seen any come up for sale used however.

MRfanny

1.3" is better than 1" hey. If you ever find a source please pass it on =) I had always wanted to visit some of the local CCTV stores here to check out the larger sensored lenses....though some guy quoted me 400AUD for that pentax 25mm f1.4 thats been going around, ouch!

photoSmart42

There's some Schneider lenses made for 1.3" sensors, including an APO one, but they're pricey and I'm guessing you'll have a hard time finding them used/surplus anywhere for a while. For industrial applications these lenses are used for a while before they're replaced.

K

Kewk

A lot of those nice fast lenses are for machine vision, not security cams, and so are attached to machines costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I just bought a machine for work which places parts to an accuracy of plus of minus 5 microns (a human hair is about 100 microns thick). It came with a very nice lens.

PeterB666

They make them now for 1.3" CCTV sensors as well as even larger sensors. I haven't seen any come up for sale used however.
1.3" TV lenses are pretty much redundant since most stuff is videotaped these days. It is more of a 50s and 60s format.

CCTV sensors are usually 1/3" or 1/2" with 1" also falling out of favour due to the cost.

There are a few 1.3" lenses around but most are old designs.

For example, the Schneider lenses are the end of an evolutionary line that date back more than 50 years and were also made in Robot screw mount (same 25mm thread as c-mount but with a 28mm offset from the film plane) and these were designed to cover a 24x24mm frame (34mm diagonal).