The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another cheap lens, a brute.

Ron Evers

Got this Makinon 28-80mm, f3.5-4.5 macro for $15 at a pawn shop this week. It is built like a tank weighing in @ 21oz/595gm. The front element is huge with a filter size of 72mm. Like the 135mm I got, it was very dirty but cleaned up nicely.

Here are some sample shots with it all shot @ f5.6:

1. FL 28mm

2. from the same position @ FL80mm

3. Maximum macro 1:5

4. another 1:5 macro

5. Our house for a different sort of pic.

Not bad for $15 but way too heavy for a walk-about lens.

Ron Evers

that thing is mega tank! and mega bargain too. can you get closer macro than your examples posted?
No, that was as close as I could get with the 1:5 macro setting. Perhaps I will try some extension tubes with it today just for fun.

M

maxmorrison

In Italy we don't have pawn shops :( too bad!

Good bargain!

Tullio

Holy smokes...that's one sharp lens...what a bargain! How easy is it to handle since it's so bulky and heavy? It would be sooo nice if the G1 had IBIS!!!

Tullio

In Italy we don't have pawn shops :( too bad!...
Same here. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area...one would think that we'd be able to find anything around here! Wrong. There is only one camera repair shop in San Jose where one can find used lenses but they are far from being cheap. Those guys are on top of it and price those vintage lenses at the very top of their price range. Of course they are really not a pawn shop.

Ron Evers

Holy smokes...that's one sharp lens...what a bargain! How easy is it to handle since it's so bulky and heavy? It would be sooo nice if the G1 had IBIS!!!
Walking around I need to cradle the lens in my hand but up to the face for shooting it is comfortable enough.