The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

help with lens please

what lens you prefer of these 2

• pan 20 1.7

Votes: 21 100.0%
  • Oly 17 2.8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
J

Jamesmd

I only want to buy one lens for the moment apart from kit I have .

What would you chose

Oly 17 2.8 or Pan 20 1.7 ?

thanks.

James

J

Jamesmd

thanks , aded a poll , its easier to take the count ;)

thanks

D

Devon Shaw

If price is no object the 20 seems to be the clear winner.
If you want to save some cash though I've seen the 17 going for less than half of the price of the 20.
I haven't used the 20, I have owned the 17 though since July and it really is a great performer. Not so much for super low light but most of the time it does great as the wide in my kit. I went on a 74 mile backpacking trip in New Mexico over the summer and brought that as my sole lens to keep weight down.
If you'd like to see some examples of what this lens can deliver here's the set from that trip,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/devonshaw/sets/72157621918048331/

D

Devon Shaw

On second thought though I have been able to get usable shots in pretty minimal light with the 17...

pellicle

I'm with Devon here ... price of the 20mm is a big disincentive for me

if it was say $250 (like the 25mm Olympus 4/3 lens) instead of $400 I'd be there

but its my same, old song ....

:deadhorse:

pellicle

Hi Devon

On second thought though I have been able to get usable shots in pretty minimal light with the 17...
for me its not about the brightness, but the shallow DoF and a normal view.

I just love my 50mm f1.8 at 1.8 ... the 17mm @2.8 needs me to be too close and pulls in too much background

I haven't compared the 17 and the 20, but comparing (an FD) 28 to the 20 In this I find the 20mm to be a wee bit wide for my preference as a normal, so the 17mm would be a nowhere man lens for me ...

and moving forward a step to get same subject size shows more background

actually I think I'd like a 25mm 1.7 more than the 20mm

Last edited:
D

Devon Shaw

Hi Devon

for me its not about the brightness, but the shallow DoF and a normal view.

I just love my 50mm f1.8 at 1.8 ... the 17mm @2.8 needs me to be too close and pulls in too much background

I haven't compared the 17 and the 20, but comparing (an FD) 28 to the 20 In this I find the 20mm to be a wee bit wide for my preference as a normal, so the 17mm would be a nowhere man lens for me ...

actually I think I'd like a 25mm 1.7 more than the 20mm
Good point Pellicle. DoF is important to consider as well.
I don't know how much the difference in focal length between 17 and 20 would really affect someone in the field. Maybe it would be a good idea for James to find both those spots on the kit zoom (if he has one) and see which suits his style better.

-Devon

K

Kewk

Need a third option in the poll... Neither...
If we're allowed to make up options, I'll pick both. The 20mm is a better lens in a lot of ways but the 17 is a bit wider and can be had with a great finder.

I voted for the 20mm because of speed.

kweide

I made a lot pics with the 17 mm at f2.8 and i was and i am still surprised. That little Oly lens is a gem. Okay, the Pana glass is indeed a bit better regarding max aperture f1.7 and low light capabilities. But i prefer this extra 3 mm focal length less. It opens my pictures in the street and yes it forces me into the scene to be close to the subjects. That is what i want and like.... You can see my pics here in this forum.. have fun...

It is not easy to choose the right lens. It really depends on your own style..

V

Vivek

First choice: Neither.

Second: Oly-D 17/2.8

Third: I would not want to see the likes of the Pana 20/1.7 again.

J

Jamesmd

Hi , wow , lots of votes .

Wel its clear that majority prefer the 20 .

mmmm , I think I'll go for it for its 1.7 .

First I'm going to go trough all your pics out there and decide :confused:

Thanks for your response.

Cheers

James