Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 78 of 78

Thread: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

  1. #51
    Senior Member apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    FWIW, I fully agree with Godfrey. I am undecided about the touch screen but welcome the ergonomic changes. I just don't think the G2 is enough of an 'upgrade' from my GH1 to justify a purchase, but for everyone who has not yet bought into the MFT system, this should be a dream camera and a worthy successor of the G1. I imagine a lot of people who had waited to switch will make the move now. And my hope is that the more people do get into the system, the higher the likelihood that it will still be around in a few years, even if the competitors come up with alternatives. If the GH1 successor follows the same strategy AND improves IQ/low ISO performance I will definitely be interested.

    Stefan

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    FWIW, I fully agree with Godfrey. I am undecided about the touch screen but welcome the ergonomic changes. I just don't think the G2 is enough of an 'upgrade' from my GH1 to justify a purchase ...
    As others have said, I'm not sure that the G2 is supposed to be an upgrade for GH1 owners ... it's target is to upgrade the G1 model. The fact that it's added HD video notwithstanding.

    I noticed in a post on another forum that the G2 and G10 are enabled to support non-CDAF FourThirds lenses, see the chart on DPNow.com and look at the Others section:



    If this is true (and contrary to DPReview's preview information), then that's a big plus to make the G2 an more exciting proposition for a lot of folks. Also, in that chart, note the "feeding live view during burst shooting" and "still photo shooting during movie recording". Those two together by themselves could be enough reason to step up for some folks.

  3. #53
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Feeding live view during burst mode shooting would certainly be something to get excited about... I can't remember and don't have my G1 to hand... what does it do now? doesn't it update with each shot as it's taken (as per the Pen)?

    So this new mode suggests smooth EVF view while burst mode shooting?

    Sounds very interesting.

    Thanks for posting this Godfrey

    Cheers

    Brian

  4. #54
    Senior Member Y.B.Hudson III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Yehh... the viewfinder goes black after you press the shutter button...on the G1.

    Not good when creatures are galloping in your direction.*

    whoopy...in raw it's a three shot burst. I haven't read if thats inproved.

    Then have a beer while it writes the files...



    regards Hudson
    Last edited by Y.B.Hudson III; 8th March 2010 at 18:25.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Well, that feature would certainly be welcome for the Pen - a 10+ shot raw buffer and fast write times are good, but you still see action as a series of freeze frames.

    Cheers

    Brian

  6. #56
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    ... better sensor won't help pooly designed lenses...
    Better sensor is what I look forward to.

    "pooly designed lenses" are a hot item and they are in great demand.

    BTW, I don't see any difference between GH-1 and G2, though I see all the specs and the claims of two separate lines, etc. Both are capable of shooting video and also come in many different colors.

  7. #57
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    BTW, I don't see any difference between GH-1 and G2, though I see all the specs and the claims of two separate lines, etc. Both are capable of shooting video and also come in many different colors.
    Different sensors -GH1's is oversize and the different aspect ratios are not crops from 4,000 by 3,000.

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I would like to believe that the G2 and the G10 sport a newly developed sensor and Pana are not leaking any info on that until they clear the old stocks of G1, etc.

    This may explain the lack of any sample pics or the ever changing specs in the leaks.

  9. #59
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Different sensors -GH1's is oversize and the different aspect ratios are not crops from 4,000 by 3,000.
    Does not make any difference to the resultant still images, does, it?

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Does not make any difference to the resultant still images, does, it?
    No, but there was an interview with a Panny engineer who said the G1/GF1 and GH1 had different sensors with different tech (I cant spout off the technicals other than one had digital vs analog readout).

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    No, but there was an interview with a Panny engineer who said the G1/GF1 and GH1 had different sensors with different tech (I cant spout off the technicals other than one had digital vs analog readout).
    Exactly my point. They can claim the Sun and the Moon but what difference does it make to use it as a photography tool?

    The fact is still an entry level DSLR beats the m4/3rds in image quality (Nikon have a point).

  12. #62
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    There has been a release announcement in Australia for the G2/10 here http://blogs.panasonic.com.au/consum...aign=webletter

    they have suggest a release data of June which is a way off. No announcement on price though.

  13. #63
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Exactly my point. They can claim the Sun and the Moon but what difference does it make to use it as a photography tool?

    The fact is still an entry level DSLR beats the m4/3rds in image quality (Nikon have a point).
    "My opinion is better than your opinion" brought to a new plateau, I see.

  14. #64
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The fact is still an entry level DSLR beats the m4/3rds in image quality (Nikon have a point).
    It might IF you have the DSLR with you - my D80 just gets left home so often as its too big, I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.

  15. #65
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    It might IF you have the DSLR with you - my D80 just gets left home so often as its too big, I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.
    The GH1 that I just bought is mostly equal to my D80 when it comes to image quality. There are obviously areas where the traditional DSLR excels, and I'll probably buy a D90 as well.

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.
    I carry my wife's GRD II - but I'm pretty sure that a G2 would not fit into my trouser, or jacket, pockets. Someone has just pointed out that the G10 is almost the same size as the Canon 550D - and that is not a pocket camera.

    Tony

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    I carry my wife's GRD II - but I'm pretty sure that a G2 would not fit into my trouser, or jacket, pockets. Someone has just pointed out that the G10 is almost the same size as the Canon 550D - and that is not a pocket camera.

    Tony
    My GH1 with the 20/1.7 fits nicely in my jacket pocket. It's a tad bulky, but not overly so. Perhaps jacket means different things to different people, so I'm talking about a winter jacket pocket, not a suit jacket.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

  18. #68
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Tim

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.
    as a G1 onwer for over a year now, I can perhaps offer that my Coolpix 5000 is more pocketable than the G1/10/2 unless you put the pancake on it. I'd point you in the direction of the E-P1/2 or GF-1 for a pocketable solution.

    I'm seriously looking at switching form the G1 to a E-Px (although what I have to give up on the G1 makes it hard ... but then I have SLR's for most of that)

  19. #69
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    Someone has just pointed out that the G10 is almost the same size as the Canon 550D - and that is not a pocket camera.

    Tony
    Well I had to look this up --

    G2 / G10 - 124.0 x 83.6 x 74 mm (excluding protrusions)
    Can550D - 128.8 x 97.3 x 62 mm
    NikonD80 - 132.0 x 103 x 77mm

    Make of that what you will, but its got me thinking about a GF1 again -
    GF-1 - 119 x 71 x 36.3 mm

    Part of the appeal of micro 4/3 though is the lenses - they are smaller. I dont expect the G2 to be pocketable but the D80 is quite a tank for me, I find even the grip on the RHS a bit too big for my small hands, I struggle and tire holding it for extended times

  20. #70
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I had to look this up --
    I think the post Tony is referring to is here

    but your figures are about the same
    Make of that what you will, but its got me thinking about a GF1 again -
    GF-1 - 119 x 71 x 36.3 mm
    I was a GF-1 fan till I held it ... happened that there were E-P1's beside it and I had my G1 with me at the time. I love the dial on the top of the G1 but while the GF-1 looks similar it is not, its smaller and strangely in the way compared to the G1's

    I'm now searching for an E-P1 as my other micro 4/3 body (and might sell the G1 as I have big SLR's for full frame when that's needed) and it can use my existing legacy lenses.

    E-P1
    Weight (inc. batteries) 355 g
    Dimensions 121 x 70 x 36 mm

  21. #71
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    "My opinion is better than your opinion" brought to a new plateau, I see.

  22. #72
    Senior Member Jason Muelver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    So for the G1 owners out there... Whatchya think?

    I'm thinking do pull a Jorgen here... G1 w/ F mount for my Nikkor/Zeiss glass. And that 7-14 as well. Kinda a mini to my D700, no?

    Or just get a D90 for my "lite" kit and call it a day until I can get an M9? Hmph.
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

  23. #73
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I'm gonna pick up the G2 because I think there are evolutionary improvements to the camera as a whole. I also want to convert my G1 to IR so those are my main reasons. I believe some of them are kind of overlooked ONLY because we saw "mid-cycle" refreshes or updates in the GH1 and GF1. I would suspect that High ISO is somewhat improved now since the camera now goes to ISO 6400.

    I can see how some people may not be impressed because they were possibly expecting more. Either way to each their own.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  24. #74
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I'm gonna pick up the G2 because I think there are evolutionary improvements to the camera as a whole. I also want to convert my G1 to IR so those are my main reasons. I believe some of them are kind of overlooked ONLY because we saw "mid-cycle" refreshes or updates in the GH1 and GF1. I would suspect that High ISO is somewhat improved now since the camera now goes to ISO 6400.

    I can see how some people may not be impressed because they were possibly expecting more. Either way to each their own.
    Sound perfectly logical. Knowing myself, I will probably have a G2 early on. The G1/G2 differences all seem sensible and the touch screen looks like it would come in handy.

  25. #75
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Sound perfectly logical. Knowing myself, I will probably have a G2 early on. The G1/G2 differences all seem sensible and the touch screen looks like it would come in handy.
    Same here, but I'll wait a while ... other needs take priority.

    If I pick up a G2, I will be motivated to sell off another of my SLR bodies, although I'm loathe to do so: I like them too much. Objectivity is such a crutch... ;-)

  26. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Same here, but I'll wait a while ... other needs take priority.
    SNIP

    Objectivity is such a crutch... ;-)
    I can only chuckle.

    The G2 is sort of on my radar. I might convert something to IR before a probable western trip in early summer since I just sold my 10DIR (but it doesn't appear that the G2 will be available in time--just having checked possible launch date). I think it all depends upon what it offers--if there are indeed some discernible improvements in higher ISO, etc.---I would be interested and convert my G1. If not--I'll wait and see what the GH2 in the Fall (we assume) offers. Even though everyone says it will be aimed at video, it seems it may get the higher end improvments sensor wise, including size for format (I do sometimes like to shoot--or rather crop--to 16:9). But--I'm in no hurry as the G1/GF1 pretty well work for me. I do need an off camera one flash setup--I have multiples for my 5D, but other than that, not much (since I did already add teh 45 f/2.8 which I like a lot).

    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 11th March 2010 at 09:16.

  27. #77
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,925
    Post Thanks / Like

    ... off camera flash

    Hi Diane,

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I can only chuckle.

    ... I do need an off camera one flash setup--I have multiples for my 5D, but other than that, not much (since I did already add teh 45 f/2.8 which I like a lot).
    Amusement is our target, thank you for the compliment. ]'-)

    Regards an off-camera flash setup ... I went through some trouble to obtain a 3.5m Olympus/Panasonic dedicated flash cable so I can operate the FL36 or FL50 off-camera in dedicated mode. (I realized afterwards that I could also have bought a similar, more easily obtained cable for Canon flash units ... the contacts are identical although the fit isn't quite as good.) So if you only need one off-camera flash, that's a good option.

    More often, however, I use non-dedicated flash units with either optical or RF triggers. The Cactus V4 triggers are to be avoided if you're using Canon 5D II or Panasonic G system cameras, they cause interference, but I have it on good authority that the Impact triggers sold by B&H Photo do not cause interference and are more robust anyway. You can buy a kit with both transmitter and receiver ($135) as well as receivers ($85), allowing you to put together as many flash units as you want with RF connection as long as you are comfortable with setting them up for exposure manually.

    Relatively minor expense to outfit a three-flash with RF trigger system this way. "Relatively" being the operative word to use in rationalization... ;-)

  28. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ... off camera flash

    Godfrey, I likely have a Canon cable around. So--you are saying it should work?? I guess I'll look for it and try it. I used the STE-2 wireless setup for my multiple flashes and have never used anything but Canon for multiples so I have to admit to lack of knowledge for triggers. I've been following the threads about the Impact--including your posts (elsewhere). I think I probably only need one off camera flash for the m4/3rds as I have 4 for my Canon system if/when I need that type of setup. I'm going to read some more and go back to B & H and read more about the Impact--but for now look for that Canon cable LOL.

    I had read about the Cactus 4 so knew to avoid that.

    Thanks for your help.

    Diane



    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Hi Diane,



    Amusement is our target, thank you for the compliment. ]'-)

    Regards an off-camera flash setup ... I went through some trouble to obtain a 3.5m Olympus/Panasonic dedicated flash cable so I can operate the FL36 or FL50 off-camera in dedicated mode. (I realized afterwards that I could also have bought a similar, more easily obtained cable for Canon flash units ... the contacts are identical although the fit isn't quite as good.) So if you only need one off-camera flash, that's a good option.

    More often, however, I use non-dedicated flash units with either optical or RF triggers. The Cactus V4 triggers are to be avoided if you're using Canon 5D II or Panasonic G system cameras, they cause interference, but I have it on good authority that the Impact triggers sold by B&H Photo do not cause interference and are more robust anyway. You can buy a kit with both transmitter and receiver ($135) as well as receivers ($85), allowing you to put together as many flash units as you want with RF connection as long as you are comfortable with setting them up for exposure manually.

    Relatively minor expense to outfit a three-flash with RF trigger system this way. "Relatively" being the operative word to use in rationalization... ;-)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •