The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

m3photo

Re: 105mm

Looks kind of weird with the 105mm f/1.8 mounted, but I'll take the combo for a spin tomorrow :)
Jorgen, I don't have the 105mm f/1.8 Nikkor, only the f/2.5 and I can tell you it's a great combo with the G1 at least. Here's an example I posted a while back taken at f/8:

Diane B

I agree--exciting enough for those that haven't bought a G1 yet. I'm going to reserve my opinion until more about it becomes available. I'm having some issues with lens connectivity and error message telling me I'm not in right shoot mode--but I will clean the contacts and see (I suspect that's the problem LOL--but any rationalization for a new body).

Actually though--I'm really not in a buying mood--in fact have been selling off Canon gear (but in trying out several WAZ yesterday to decide which to keep--I remembered why I still really like my 5D *smile*). I would like to see more reason to buy a new m4/3rds. I'm just not sure what will push me.

Diane

ecsh

Not enough of a change to get me to update from the GF1 as i see it. Panny and Oly seem to be in a hurry to release the next version, without anything worth upgrading too, YMMV
Joe

Diane B

I have a question. In reading the preview, it states that the image stabilization of the new 14-42 lens is passed off to the body--"It loses its O.I.S image stabilization switch, passing control to the camera body." Just what does this mean exactly--that one goes to the menu to choose IS just for that lens?? That seems strange to me--to activate stabilization from a menu, but stranger things occur. Does this mean that the lens does not have stabilization and that the camera does (I think not)? Even stranger since it still says in specs that it has OIS. I've just wondered about this particular thing--would it not be easier to put a switch on the lens rather than include a menu item to control only THAT lens?--or maybe I don't understand how costly it would be to include a switch--and perhaps its easier/cheaper to control from the body.

Maybe someone has an explanation that makes sense to me LOL.

Edit: I just read the G2 and lens review again--and it is OIS. But---put that lens on, say, the GF1 or an Oly body--I guess it won't have OIS--or perhaps it maybe default OIS and can't be changed (or vice versa). Doesn't seem like a good addition to a 'system' to me---other than price which may have been their deciding point.

Diane

Last edited:

photoSmart42

I have a question. In reading the preview, it states that the image stabilization of the new 14-42 lens is passed off to the body--"It loses its O.I.S image stabilization switch, passing control to the camera body." Just what does this mean exactly--that one goes to the menu to choose IS just for that lens?? That seems strange to me--to activate stabilization from a menu, but stranger things occur. Does this mean that the lens does not have stabilization and that the camera does (I think not)? Even stranger since it still says in specs that it has OIS. I've just wondered about this particular thing--would it not be easier to put a switch on the lens rather than include a menu item to control only THAT lens?--or maybe I don't understand how costly it would be to include a switch--and perhaps its easier/cheaper to control from the body.

Maybe someone has an explanation that makes sense to me LOL.

Diane
The switch on the lens is just that - a switch that closes an electrical circuit in the lens to activate/de-activate the OIS, which is a set of mechanisms inside the lens body. These mechanisms are controlled by a computer chip inside the lens body. So by getting rid of the mechanical switch on the lens, all they're doing is moving that signal to activate/de-activate the OIS to the camera (through the lens contacts), so I'm guessing it'll be a menu function to do that. The circuitry inside the lens doesn't care where the signal comes from, so it doesn't need a physical switch on the lens body. Of course, in moving the switch to the in-camera menu, Panasonic engineers are assuming (correctly so) that most users don't play around with the OIS settings all that much to require fast direct access to it.

There is definitely cost associated with having that mechanical switch on the lens body. Not only is there the cost of the materials involved, but getting rid of the switch also allows the camera to be made of more plastic, thus reducing weight. While it doesn't seem like the cost of the switch is all that much, it adds up. Every $1 of materials in the build process normally adds (at least) $10 to the price of the product, so removing the switch probably allows them to shave about $50 off the price of the lens.

Hope this helps.
-Dragos

s.agar

Presently I have the GF-1. I'm very happy with this small camera and the lenses..

But, I'm still waiting for a camera with better sensor from Panasonic, one that has better high ISO performance, and wider "highlight" dynamic range. For me photographs are much more important than the video capabilities, but improvements in video are also welcome. I was hoping to see G2 or GH2 to be capable of these. For me, these are the relatively weak points of the present series. Otherwise the concept is excellent, and the photos are already good.

Hopefully G3 will be doing that. Then there will be a reason to upgrade to GF-?.

Seyhun

dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

What do you think?

Seyhun

Diane B

Yes, that makes sense. The only niggle for me is for its use with the GF1--but perhaps firmware upgrades can take care of that--OR--they assume that no one will want it on the GF1. Since the GF1 kit is now either with 20 OR the 14-45--wonder if they will sub the 14-42--or if the current build cycle is about complete and the GF2 will eventually use the 14-42?

You are probably right--they assume few probably turn it off for tripod shooting--wonder if default is 'on'.

The switch on the lens is just that - a switch that closes an electrical circuit in the lens to activate/de-activate the OIS, which is a set of mechanisms inside the lens body. These mechanisms are controlled by a computer chip inside the lens body. So by getting rid of the mechanical switch on the lens, all they're doing is moving that signal to activate/de-activate the OIS to the camera (through the lens contacts), so I'm guessing it'll be a menu function to do that. The circuitry inside the lens doesn't care where the signal comes from, so it doesn't need a physical switch on the lens body. Of course, in moving the switch to the in-camera menu, Panasonic engineers are assuming (correctly so) that most users don't play around with the OIS settings all that much to require fast direct access to it.

There is definitely cost associated with having that mechanical switch on the lens body. Not only is there the cost of the materials involved, but getting rid of the switch also allows the camera to be made of more plastic, thus reducing weight. While it doesn't seem like the cost of the switch is all that much, it adds up. Every $1 of materials in the build process normally adds (at least) $10 to the price of the product, so removing the switch probably allows them to shave about $50 off the price of the lens.

Hope this helps.
-Dragos

photoSmart42

But, I'm still waiting for a camera with better sensor from Panasonic, one that has better high ISO performance, and wider "highlight" dynamic range. For me photographs are much more important than the video capabilities, but improvements in video are also welcome. I was hoping to see G2 or GH2 to be capable of these. For me, these are the relatively weak points of the present series. Otherwise the concept is excellent, and the photos are already good.

Hopefully G3 will be doing that. Then there will be a reason to upgrade to GF-?.

Seyhun
I suspect we'll see some significant sensor/performance improvements when the GH2 comes out, which is the premium camera. You're already seeing some improvements with the new Venus II engine in the G2 as evidenced by the higher ISO 6400 setting. I'm sure reviewers will look at high ISO performance on the G2 to compare it to the G1. Keep in mind that better ISO performance or better dynamic range are not just tied to the sensor, but also to the processor, so in effect you're getting your wish with the G2.

scho

Yes, that makes sense. The only niggle for me is for its use with the GF1--but perhaps firmware upgrades can take care of that--OR--they assume that no one will want it on the GF1. Since the GF1 kit is now either with 20 OR the 14-45--wonder if they will sub the 14-42--or if the current build cycle is about complete and the GF2 will eventually use the 14-42?

You are probably right--they assume few probably turn it off for tripod shooting--wonder if default is 'on'.
Good question Diane. I would assume that the default on the G2 is "ON", but how it behaves on other "dumb" platforms is unknown at the moment.

I was hoping that Panasonic would move to IBIS but that does not seem to be in their game plan, either because they prefer and want to stay with lens OIS or because of inhibitory patent issues with IBIS.

Peter Klein

An OIS on/off switch in the menus should easily be accomplished in a firmware upgrade for earlier cameras, if they deem it justified.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would buy a camera with improved sensor WRT higher ISO - something like backlight technology or whatever Panasonic will come up with. And I would buy it from Panasonic or Olympus no matter who comes first.

Terry

An OIS on/off switch in the menus should easily be accomplished in a firmware upgrade for earlier cameras, if they deem it justified.
All of the screen shots show it as an item on the control Panel which means you can get to it from the menus. Remember you can already change modes in the menus.

Godfrey

dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

What do you think?

Seyhun
Yes, of course there is.

They left a darn good camera design intact and did a couple of careful updates to control ergonomics, added the now-well-worked out HD video capture, added the latest image data handling and processing system.

This insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me. I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released. I need and want a solid, well worked out, incremental improvement on something I already know works brilliantly.

I think Panasonic's done just the right thing with their model line. Produced a cheaper model in the line for those who can't afford the more expensive ones, produce a better version of an existing excellent model, and keep on going.

The only thing I don't know or care about is the new version of the kit lens. Panasonic: "Please make the G2 available as a body-only kit. I have all the lenses I need, and I didn't need the 14-45/3.5-5.6 zoom. I don't need another 14-42 zoom either."

Tim

there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

What do you think?

Seyhun
I'd see going from the GH1 to G2 a downgrade or at best a sidegrade (only if you had to have the touchscreen thingy). The G2 is probably just right to coax me into 4/3. My Nikon D80 is too big, and we rarely make use of the extra resolution that the APS-C offers anyhow.

I don't need video but my wife uses it and the type of video in the G2 will work well for us. The rest of the G2 package I suspect will be fine for me - I've been hanging off tossing the G1/GF1 back and forth. While I'd like to go GF-1 and actually prefer its looks, I think I'd have the EVF on the GF1 all the time so the integrated EVF in the G2 seems a more sensible way to go.

The G2 is on my likely to buy - anyone know a release date? I've got some OM Zuiko glass from my OM4 whats the best Zuiko 4/3 adapter?

pellicle

I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released.
especially when the present camera is so darn good.

likewise I'm glad they didn't mess with it much and I also like the idea of touch screen features ... though wonder how much that will disturb the camera on the tripod when taking an exposure with touch screen ...

but touch screen access to magnification is great, as is touch screen navigation of taken images ... do I want that? yes please!

T

tripper

Battery life is not a strong suit of the G1 so I do wonder how using the touchscreen is going to impact on battery life ? maybe they have improved power usage but I guess they would be shouting it loud if they had ?

tripper

PeterB666

I notice that the G10 is 100g or so lighter than the G1 and nearly as light as the GF-1

this is interesting as unlike the GF the G10 will give you some sort of EVF, both have video but neither have swivel screens.
Doesn't the GF-1 have an optional plug-in EVF?

pellicle

Doesn't the GF-1 have an optional plug-in EVF?
yes, exactly as you say, optional plug in ... but you need to spend another US$199 on top of the (IMHO already inflated) price of the GF-1 ... as it is an accessory (haven't seen it bundled by panasonic yet) I wasn't including that in the list of camera features.

Thus out of the box my above simplification stands:
The G10 will give you some sort of EVF, while the GF-1 will not. Both have video but neither have swivel screens.

but as you point out the option exists for adding to the GF what the G10 comes with standard. I'll be real interested to see the price of the G10.

Also, as the LVF-1 will weigh something it will alter the weight spec of the GF-1 which people like to tout as being a factor. And if you have it fitted it'll make it less pocketable than it is without it (another point people love to cite about the GF-1, its more pocketable)

this is not to say I don't like the GF-1, as I do. I would like to buy one but as it comes with less features I don't feel like paying more for what I see as less.

Last edited: