The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

V

Vivek

No, but there was an interview with a Panny engineer who said the G1/GF1 and GH1 had different sensors with different tech (I cant spout off the technicals other than one had digital vs analog readout).
Exactly my point. They can claim the Sun and the Moon but what difference does it make to use it as a photography tool?

The fact is still an entry level DSLR beats the m4/3rds in image quality (Nikon have a point).

Godfrey

Exactly my point. They can claim the Sun and the Moon but what difference does it make to use it as a photography tool?

The fact is still an entry level DSLR beats the m4/3rds in image quality (Nikon have a point).
"My opinion is better than your opinion" brought to a new plateau, I see.

Tim

It might IF you have the DSLR with you - my D80 just gets left home so often as its too big, I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It might IF you have the DSLR with you - my D80 just gets left home so often as its too big, I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.
The GH1 that I just bought is mostly equal to my D80 when it comes to image quality. There are obviously areas where the traditional DSLR excels, and I'll probably buy a D90 as well.

I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.
I carry my wife's GRD II - but I'm pretty sure that a G2 would not fit into my trouser, or jacket, pockets. Someone has just pointed out that the G10 is almost the same size as the Canon 550D - and that is not a pocket camera.

Tony

photoSmart42

I carry my wife's GRD II - but I'm pretty sure that a G2 would not fit into my trouser, or jacket, pockets. Someone has just pointed out that the G10 is almost the same size as the Canon 550D - and that is not a pocket camera.

Tony
My GH1 with the 20/1.7 fits nicely in my jacket pocket. It's a tad bulky, but not overly so. Perhaps jacket means different things to different people, so I'm talking about a winter jacket pocket, not a suit jacket.

pellicle

Tim

I tend to carry my GRD III instead. I'm hoping the G2 will fit my style better than the D80.
as a G1 onwer for over a year now, I can perhaps offer that my Coolpix 5000 is more pocketable than the G1/10/2 unless you put the pancake on it. I'd point you in the direction of the E-P1/2 or GF-1 for a pocketable solution.

I'm seriously looking at switching form the G1 to a E-Px (although what I have to give up on the G1 makes it hard ... but then I have SLR's for most of that)

Tim

Someone has just pointed out that the G10 is almost the same size as the Canon 550D - and that is not a pocket camera.

Tony
Well I had to look this up --

G2 / G10 - 124.0 x 83.6 x 74 mm (excluding protrusions)
Can550D - 128.8 x 97.3 x 62 mm
NikonD80 - 132.0 x 103 x 77mm

Make of that what you will, but its got me thinking about a GF1 again -
GF-1 - 119 x 71 x 36.3 mm

Part of the appeal of micro 4/3 though is the lenses - they are smaller. I dont expect the G2 to be pocketable but the D80 is quite a tank for me, I find even the grip on the RHS a bit too big for my small hands, I struggle and tire holding it for extended times

pellicle

Hi

Well I had to look this up --
I think the post Tony is referring to is here

but your figures are about the same
Make of that what you will, but its got me thinking about a GF1 again -
GF-1 - 119 x 71 x 36.3 mm
I was a GF-1 fan till I held it ... happened that there were E-P1's beside it and I had my G1 with me at the time. I love the dial on the top of the G1 but while the GF-1 looks similar it is not, its smaller and strangely in the way compared to the G1's

I'm now searching for an E-P1 as my other micro 4/3 body (and might sell the G1 as I have big SLR's for full frame when that's needed) and it can use my existing legacy lenses.

E-P1
Weight (inc. batteries) 355 g
Dimensions 121 x 70 x 36 mm

So for the G1 owners out there... Whatchya think?

I'm thinking do pull a Jorgen here... G1 w/ F mount for my Nikkor/Zeiss glass. And that 7-14 as well. Kinda a mini to my D700, no?

Or just get a D90 for my "lite" kit and call it a day until I can get an M9? Hmph.

iiiNelson

I'm gonna pick up the G2 because I think there are evolutionary improvements to the camera as a whole. I also want to convert my G1 to IR so those are my main reasons. I believe some of them are kind of overlooked ONLY because we saw "mid-cycle" refreshes or updates in the GH1 and GF1. I would suspect that High ISO is somewhat improved now since the camera now goes to ISO 6400.

I can see how some people may not be impressed because they were possibly expecting more. Either way to each their own.

Terry

I'm gonna pick up the G2 because I think there are evolutionary improvements to the camera as a whole. I also want to convert my G1 to IR so those are my main reasons. I believe some of them are kind of overlooked ONLY because we saw "mid-cycle" refreshes or updates in the GH1 and GF1. I would suspect that High ISO is somewhat improved now since the camera now goes to ISO 6400.

I can see how some people may not be impressed because they were possibly expecting more. Either way to each their own.
Sound perfectly logical. Knowing myself, I will probably have a G2 early on. The G1/G2 differences all seem sensible and the touch screen looks like it would come in handy.

Godfrey

Sound perfectly logical. Knowing myself, I will probably have a G2 early on. The G1/G2 differences all seem sensible and the touch screen looks like it would come in handy.
Same here, but I'll wait a while ... other needs take priority.

If I pick up a G2, I will be motivated to sell off another of my SLR bodies, although I'm loathe to do so: I like them too much. Objectivity is such a crutch... ;-)

Diane B

Same here, but I'll wait a while ... other needs take priority.
SNIP

Objectivity is such a crutch... ;-)
I can only chuckle.

The G2 is sort of on my radar. I might convert something to IR before a probable western trip in early summer since I just sold my 10DIR (but it doesn't appear that the G2 will be available in time--just having checked possible launch date). I think it all depends upon what it offers--if there are indeed some discernible improvements in higher ISO, etc.---I would be interested and convert my G1. If not--I'll wait and see what the GH2 in the Fall (we assume) offers. Even though everyone says it will be aimed at video, it seems it may get the higher end improvments sensor wise, including size for format (I do sometimes like to shoot--or rather crop--to 16:9). But--I'm in no hurry as the G1/GF1 pretty well work for me. I do need an off camera one flash setup--I have multiples for my 5D, but other than that, not much (since I did already add teh 45 f/2.8 which I like a lot).

Diane

Last edited:

Godfrey

... off camera flash

Hi Diane,

I can only chuckle.

... I do need an off camera one flash setup--I have multiples for my 5D, but other than that, not much (since I did already add teh 45 f/2.8 which I like a lot).
Amusement is our target, thank you for the compliment. ]'-)

Regards an off-camera flash setup ... I went through some trouble to obtain a 3.5m Olympus/Panasonic dedicated flash cable so I can operate the FL36 or FL50 off-camera in dedicated mode. (I realized afterwards that I could also have bought a similar, more easily obtained cable for Canon flash units ... the contacts are identical although the fit isn't quite as good.) So if you only need one off-camera flash, that's a good option.

More often, however, I use non-dedicated flash units with either optical or RF triggers. The Cactus V4 triggers are to be avoided if you're using Canon 5D II or Panasonic G system cameras, they cause interference, but I have it on good authority that the Impact triggers sold by B&H Photo do not cause interference and are more robust anyway. You can buy a kit with both transmitter and receiver ($135) as well as receivers ($85), allowing you to put together as many flash units as you want with RF connection as long as you are comfortable with setting them up for exposure manually.

Relatively minor expense to outfit a three-flash with RF trigger system this way. "Relatively" being the operative word to use in rationalization... ;-)

Diane B

Re: ... off camera flash

Godfrey, I likely have a Canon cable around. So--you are saying it should work?? I guess I'll look for it and try it. I used the STE-2 wireless setup for my multiple flashes and have never used anything but Canon for multiples so I have to admit to lack of knowledge for triggers. I've been following the threads about the Impact--including your posts (elsewhere). I think I probably only need one off camera flash for the m4/3rds as I have 4 for my Canon system if/when I need that type of setup. I'm going to read some more and go back to B & H and read more about the Impact--but for now look for that Canon cable LOL.

I had read about the Cactus 4 so knew to avoid that.

Thanks for your help.

Diane

Hi Diane,

Amusement is our target, thank you for the compliment. ]'-)

Regards an off-camera flash setup ... I went through some trouble to obtain a 3.5m Olympus/Panasonic dedicated flash cable so I can operate the FL36 or FL50 off-camera in dedicated mode. (I realized afterwards that I could also have bought a similar, more easily obtained cable for Canon flash units ... the contacts are identical although the fit isn't quite as good.) So if you only need one off-camera flash, that's a good option.

More often, however, I use non-dedicated flash units with either optical or RF triggers. The Cactus V4 triggers are to be avoided if you're using Canon 5D II or Panasonic G system cameras, they cause interference, but I have it on good authority that the Impact triggers sold by B&H Photo do not cause interference and are more robust anyway. You can buy a kit with both transmitter and receiver ($135) as well as receivers ($85), allowing you to put together as many flash units as you want with RF connection as long as you are comfortable with setting them up for exposure manually.

Relatively minor expense to outfit a three-flash with RF trigger system this way. "Relatively" being the operative word to use in rationalization... ;-)