Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 78

Thread: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

    But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

    Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

    What do you think?

    Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

  2. #2
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I notice that the G10 is 100g or so lighter than the G1 and nearly as light as the GF-1

    this is interesting as unlike the GF the G10 will give you some sort of EVF, both have video but neither have swivel screens.

  3. #3
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    as to comparing to the GH1 I'm not sure ... I think that still has its unique sensor, and I notice unlike the G1 its not discontinued.

    I like some of the aspects of the touch screen, and being a palm pilot user for over a decade I can say that I'm pleased to see touch screen things on some of the functionality. That will be very nice when camera is on tripod and using screen from behind - side - front ... something I do a quite a bit (side, not front)

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I had been hoping that the G2 might get the GH1's sensor but, reading carefully through the specs and comparison with the G1 at DPreview, there was nothing that would tempt me to upgrade from the G1. I guess I'll wait until the GH2 is released later in the year. Or until Olympus, Samsung, or Sony ships a mirrorless camera that appeals to me.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    The G2 is not intended to be an upgrade for the GH1. The GH2 will be that camera. From all I've read about this release, Panasonic is making the G series the photo centric cameras and the GH series the more advanced video hybrids. Expect the GH2 at Photokina at the end of September.

    For me the G2 will be interesting over the G1 if it gets an extra ISO stop (GH1 already does). The other point of interest is the adjustment of the buttons and where things are. For instance the movement of the quick menu to the back is important. the lever switch for the focus method is useful, etc.

    If the touch screen works well and a couple of the DPReview niggles are sorted out, using the control panel with touch or MF with touch magnification could be very interesting.


    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

    But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

    Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

    What do you think?

    Seyhun

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    The touch screen could be very useful for macro work. Other than that, I do not see a huge advantage. That said, my 12 year old son thought it was the coolest thing he has seen yet. My guess, is that I may be a bit too old school!

  7. #7
    Member kai.e.g.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, Italy
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Is there any reason to be excited by the G2? Only if you're excitable. Otherwise, ho-hum!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    There's no reason to compare the G2 with the GH1. Panasonic has stated they're on different product development paths, with the GHx series being their premium models which will get all the latest innovations. Think of the GHx series as the premium models, the Gx series as the mid-level models, the G1x series as the entry-level (low price) models, and the GFx series as the pocket models.

    Is there a reason to be excited about the G2? Perhaps not if you're a G1 owner, but from the point of view of the format progressing and advancing, absolutely! The G2 being launched, along with all the other version by Olympus and soon by other companies, means the m4/3 format is here to stay for a while, which in turn means better technologies and lower prices in the future. Very, very exciting!
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Looks like there is none.

  10. #10
    tripper
    Guest

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    " and the new Venus Engine HD II processor "

    I think a lot depends on whether Panasonic have 'squeezed' a little more IQ out of this processor.

    tripper

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Perhaps the most disappointing thing to me is they didn't fix the autobracketing. Why they cannot increase the EVE steps for autobracketing is beyond me. That should be a trivial firmware upgrade for existing cameras.

    Other than that, I see a refinement to the G1 which IMO is a very capable camera. Need a second body? Then it's a better option than the G1 was. But I don't see anything massively compelling if you already have a G1 unless you want to shoot video.

    For me, there is some interest as I'd like a second body so I can consider converting my G1 to IR.

    Doug

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I think the G10 might be a great candidate for people wanting a dedicated IR camera. I think it is going to come in less expensive and what we found on the Salton Sea workshop with the GF1 IR's is the EVF becomes invaluable. This happens because the colors on the LCD are so muted and low contrast it is harder to frame in bright conditions.

    It will be interesting to see what the US price point come in at.

  13. #13
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    >Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Not much. But if you want video on the side than 720p is nice to have.

    I really hope for the GH-2 that they raise the bar for video a lot.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  14. #14
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Hi guys here's a promo video for the G2:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01q7gr2_TQQ

    I agree there isnt too much to be excited about but I'm very interested in the new Venus Engine HD II, if it gives us better ISO performance and IQ then I might be tempted to upgrade. The touch screen interface seems like a good idea and should make the G2 more user friendly and I can see the touch to focus idea being a big hit :-)
    Vince

  15. #15
    Member vincechu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England - UK
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Not much. But if you want video on the side than 720p is nice to have.

    I really hope for the GH-2 that they raise the bar for video a lot.
    Agreed, especially because the G2 kind of closes the gap between the G and GH series. I hope they introduce the rumoured back-lit sensor for the GH2 too
    Vince

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    The very last thing they show on the YouTube clip "pulling focus" with the touch screen in movie mode is pretty slick.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Not much. But if you want video on the side than 720p is nice to have.

    I really hope for the GH-2 that they raise the bar for video a lot.
    I think there are some really nice videos being done. I thought I might be somewhat interested and have done a bit with the GF1, but found it doesn't interest me very much now. So--as I thought, I will wait until Fall and see what the GH2 brings as I'm mostly interested in DR, etc.--and expect that's the body that will see any more improvement there--and I hope it will be available as body only.

    Terry's idea of the G10 for IR does interest me a bit as I've sold my IR camera--and might like to have one for some summer travel.

    I just watched the video and agree--the touch for pulling focus is cool.

    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 7th March 2010 at 09:37.

  18. #18
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,350
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Probably exciting enough for those who planned to buy a G1 but waited till now. As for me, I bought a GH1, body only, plus an F-mount adapter, yesterday. Looks kind of weird with the 105mm f/1.8 mounted, but I'll take the combo for a spin tomorrow

  19. #19
    Senior Member Y.B.Hudson III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    was hoping to get G3 connectivity... for web browsing... and at least an mp3 player, and I want it in pink...


    I do hope t' Light well is improved, and that the sensor is in the center of the optical plane...*


    * it's not on many of the G1's... as can be noted by the darker right edge of many MFL pics posted on the web
    Last edited by Y.B.Hudson III; 7th March 2010 at 09:50.

  20. #20
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Should have replaced fragile skin covering

    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

    But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

    Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

    What do you think?

    Seyhun
    I don't care much about video and 720P is sufficient for any non-professional. The sensor upgrade is the best thing, IMO, if it has the GH1 sensor, one stop better hig ISO. I don't like touch screens, they just look disgusting from fingerprints. It remains to be seen how the novelties in it will be put to use by people.

  21. #21
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: 105mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Looks kind of weird with the 105mm f/1.8 mounted, but I'll take the combo for a spin tomorrow
    Jorgen, I don't have the 105mm f/1.8 Nikkor, only the f/2.5 and I can tell you it's a great combo with the G1 at least. Here's an example I posted a while back taken at f/8:


  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I can also see the touch screen potentially being good for macro work. You can in one touch "tell" the camera to focus and shoot. Looking forward to seeing more in depth reviews or videos of the touch controls in action.

    http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste.../g2/touch.html

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I agree--exciting enough for those that haven't bought a G1 yet. I'm going to reserve my opinion until more about it becomes available. I'm having some issues with lens connectivity and error message telling me I'm not in right shoot mode--but I will clean the contacts and see (I suspect that's the problem LOL--but any rationalization for a new body).

    Actually though--I'm really not in a buying mood--in fact have been selling off Canon gear (but in trying out several WAZ yesterday to decide which to keep--I remembered why I still really like my 5D *smile*). I would like to see more reason to buy a new m4/3rds. I'm just not sure what will push me.

    Diane

  24. #24
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Not enough of a change to get me to update from the GF1 as i see it. Panny and Oly seem to be in a hurry to release the next version, without anything worth upgrading too, YMMV
    Joe

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I have a question. In reading the preview, it states that the image stabilization of the new 14-42 lens is passed off to the body--"It loses its O.I.S image stabilization switch, passing control to the camera body." Just what does this mean exactly--that one goes to the menu to choose IS just for that lens?? That seems strange to me--to activate stabilization from a menu, but stranger things occur. Does this mean that the lens does not have stabilization and that the camera does (I think not)? Even stranger since it still says in specs that it has OIS. I've just wondered about this particular thing--would it not be easier to put a switch on the lens rather than include a menu item to control only THAT lens?--or maybe I don't understand how costly it would be to include a switch--and perhaps its easier/cheaper to control from the body.

    Maybe someone has an explanation that makes sense to me LOL.

    Edit: I just read the G2 and lens review again--and it is OIS. But---put that lens on, say, the GF1 or an Oly body--I guess it won't have OIS--or perhaps it maybe default OIS and can't be changed (or vice versa). Doesn't seem like a good addition to a 'system' to me---other than price which may have been their deciding point.

    Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 7th March 2010 at 12:45.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I have a question. In reading the preview, it states that the image stabilization of the new 14-42 lens is passed off to the body--"It loses its O.I.S image stabilization switch, passing control to the camera body." Just what does this mean exactly--that one goes to the menu to choose IS just for that lens?? That seems strange to me--to activate stabilization from a menu, but stranger things occur. Does this mean that the lens does not have stabilization and that the camera does (I think not)? Even stranger since it still says in specs that it has OIS. I've just wondered about this particular thing--would it not be easier to put a switch on the lens rather than include a menu item to control only THAT lens?--or maybe I don't understand how costly it would be to include a switch--and perhaps its easier/cheaper to control from the body.

    Maybe someone has an explanation that makes sense to me LOL.

    Diane
    The switch on the lens is just that - a switch that closes an electrical circuit in the lens to activate/de-activate the OIS, which is a set of mechanisms inside the lens body. These mechanisms are controlled by a computer chip inside the lens body. So by getting rid of the mechanical switch on the lens, all they're doing is moving that signal to activate/de-activate the OIS to the camera (through the lens contacts), so I'm guessing it'll be a menu function to do that. The circuitry inside the lens doesn't care where the signal comes from, so it doesn't need a physical switch on the lens body. Of course, in moving the switch to the in-camera menu, Panasonic engineers are assuming (correctly so) that most users don't play around with the OIS settings all that much to require fast direct access to it.

    There is definitely cost associated with having that mechanical switch on the lens body. Not only is there the cost of the materials involved, but getting rid of the switch also allows the camera to be made of more plastic, thus reducing weight. While it doesn't seem like the cost of the switch is all that much, it adds up. Every $1 of materials in the build process normally adds (at least) $10 to the price of the product, so removing the switch probably allows them to shave about $50 off the price of the lens.

    Hope this helps.
    -Dragos
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

  27. #27
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    The very last thing they show on the YouTube clip "pulling focus" with the touch screen in movie mode is pretty slick.
    True, that could be something.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Presently I have the GF-1. I'm very happy with this small camera and the lenses..

    But, I'm still waiting for a camera with better sensor from Panasonic, one that has better high ISO performance, and wider "highlight" dynamic range. For me photographs are much more important than the video capabilities, but improvements in video are also welcome. I was hoping to see G2 or GH2 to be capable of these. For me, these are the relatively weak points of the present series. Otherwise the concept is excellent, and the photos are already good.

    Hopefully G3 will be doing that. Then there will be a reason to upgrade to GF-?.

    Seyhun



    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

    But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

    Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

    What do you think?

    Seyhun
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Yes, that makes sense. The only niggle for me is for its use with the GF1--but perhaps firmware upgrades can take care of that--OR--they assume that no one will want it on the GF1. Since the GF1 kit is now either with 20 OR the 14-45--wonder if they will sub the 14-42--or if the current build cycle is about complete and the GF2 will eventually use the 14-42?

    You are probably right--they assume few probably turn it off for tripod shooting--wonder if default is 'on'.

    Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    The switch on the lens is just that - a switch that closes an electrical circuit in the lens to activate/de-activate the OIS, which is a set of mechanisms inside the lens body. These mechanisms are controlled by a computer chip inside the lens body. So by getting rid of the mechanical switch on the lens, all they're doing is moving that signal to activate/de-activate the OIS to the camera (through the lens contacts), so I'm guessing it'll be a menu function to do that. The circuitry inside the lens doesn't care where the signal comes from, so it doesn't need a physical switch on the lens body. Of course, in moving the switch to the in-camera menu, Panasonic engineers are assuming (correctly so) that most users don't play around with the OIS settings all that much to require fast direct access to it.

    There is definitely cost associated with having that mechanical switch on the lens body. Not only is there the cost of the materials involved, but getting rid of the switch also allows the camera to be made of more plastic, thus reducing weight. While it doesn't seem like the cost of the switch is all that much, it adds up. Every $1 of materials in the build process normally adds (at least) $10 to the price of the product, so removing the switch probably allows them to shave about $50 off the price of the lens.

    Hope this helps.
    -Dragos

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    But, I'm still waiting for a camera with better sensor from Panasonic, one that has better high ISO performance, and wider "highlight" dynamic range. For me photographs are much more important than the video capabilities, but improvements in video are also welcome. I was hoping to see G2 or GH2 to be capable of these. For me, these are the relatively weak points of the present series. Otherwise the concept is excellent, and the photos are already good.

    Hopefully G3 will be doing that. Then there will be a reason to upgrade to GF-?.

    Seyhun
    I suspect we'll see some significant sensor/performance improvements when the GH2 comes out, which is the premium camera. You're already seeing some improvements with the new Venus II engine in the G2 as evidenced by the higher ISO 6400 setting. I'm sure reviewers will look at high ISO performance on the G2 to compare it to the G1. Keep in mind that better ISO performance or better dynamic range are not just tied to the sensor, but also to the processor, so in effect you're getting your wish with the G2.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Yes, that makes sense. The only niggle for me is for its use with the GF1--but perhaps firmware upgrades can take care of that--OR--they assume that no one will want it on the GF1. Since the GF1 kit is now either with 20 OR the 14-45--wonder if they will sub the 14-42--or if the current build cycle is about complete and the GF2 will eventually use the 14-42?

    You are probably right--they assume few probably turn it off for tripod shooting--wonder if default is 'on'.
    Good question Diane. I would assume that the default on the G2 is "ON", but how it behaves on other "dumb" platforms is unknown at the moment.

    I was hoping that Panasonic would move to IBIS but that does not seem to be in their game plan, either because they prefer and want to stay with lens OIS or because of inhibitory patent issues with IBIS.
    Carl
    Gallery

  32. #32
    Senior Member Peter Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    An OIS on/off switch in the menus should easily be accomplished in a firmware upgrade for earlier cameras, if they deem it justified.

  33. #33
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,875
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I would buy a camera with improved sensor WRT higher ISO - something like backlight technology or whatever Panasonic will come up with. And I would buy it from Panasonic or Olympus no matter who comes first.

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Klein View Post
    An OIS on/off switch in the menus should easily be accomplished in a firmware upgrade for earlier cameras, if they deem it justified.
    All of the screen shots show it as an item on the control Panel which means you can get to it from the menus. Remember you can already change modes in the menus.

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    dpreview.com has published a preview. They have compared the G2 with G1, where G2 shines.

    But the real comparison should have been made with the GH1.

    Apart from touch sensitive LCD, and the new Venus Engine HD II processor, there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

    What do you think?

    Seyhun
    Yes, of course there is.

    They left a darn good camera design intact and did a couple of careful updates to control ergonomics, added the now-well-worked out HD video capture, added the latest image data handling and processing system.

    This insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me. I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released. I need and want a solid, well worked out, incremental improvement on something I already know works brilliantly.

    I think Panasonic's done just the right thing with their model line. Produced a cheaper model in the line for those who can't afford the more expensive ones, produce a better version of an existing excellent model, and keep on going.

    The only thing I don't know or care about is the new version of the kit lens. Panasonic: "Please make the G2 available as a body-only kit. I have all the lenses I need, and I didn't need the 14-45/3.5-5.6 zoom. I don't need another 14-42 zoom either."

  36. #36
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    there seems to be not much differences to justify an upgrade from GH1.

    What do you think?

    Seyhun
    I'd see going from the GH1 to G2 a downgrade or at best a sidegrade (only if you had to have the touchscreen thingy). The G2 is probably just right to coax me into 4/3. My Nikon D80 is too big, and we rarely make use of the extra resolution that the APS-C offers anyhow.

    I don't need video but my wife uses it and the type of video in the G2 will work well for us. The rest of the G2 package I suspect will be fine for me - I've been hanging off tossing the G1/GF1 back and forth. While I'd like to go GF-1 and actually prefer its looks, I think I'd have the EVF on the GF1 all the time so the integrated EVF in the G2 seems a more sensible way to go.

    The G2 is on my likely to buy - anyone know a release date? I've got some OM Zuiko glass from my OM4 whats the best Zuiko 4/3 adapter?

  37. #37
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released.
    especially when the present camera is so darn good.

    likewise I'm glad they didn't mess with it much and I also like the idea of touch screen features ... though wonder how much that will disturb the camera on the tripod when taking an exposure with touch screen ...

    but touch screen access to magnification is great, as is touch screen navigation of taken images ... do I want that? yes please!

  38. #38
    tripper
    Guest

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Battery life is not a strong suit of the G1 so I do wonder how using the touchscreen is going to impact on battery life ? maybe they have improved power usage but I guess they would be shouting it loud if they had ?

    tripper

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    I notice that the G10 is 100g or so lighter than the G1 and nearly as light as the GF-1

    this is interesting as unlike the GF the G10 will give you some sort of EVF, both have video but neither have swivel screens.
    Doesn't the GF-1 have an optional plug-in EVF?

  40. #40
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB666 View Post
    Doesn't the GF-1 have an optional plug-in EVF?
    yes, exactly as you say, optional plug in ... but you need to spend another US$199 on top of the (IMHO already inflated) price of the GF-1 ... as it is an accessory (haven't seen it bundled by panasonic yet) I wasn't including that in the list of camera features.

    Thus out of the box my above simplification stands:
    The G10 will give you some sort of EVF, while the GF-1 will not. Both have video but neither have swivel screens.

    but as you point out the option exists for adding to the GF what the G10 comes with standard. I'll be real interested to see the price of the G10.

    Also, as the LVF-1 will weigh something it will alter the weight spec of the GF-1 which people like to tout as being a factor. And if you have it fitted it'll make it less pocketable than it is without it (another point people love to cite about the GF-1, its more pocketable)

    this is not to say I don't like the GF-1, as I do. I would like to buy one but as it comes with less features I don't feel like paying more for what I see as less.
    Last edited by pellicle; 8th March 2010 at 01:30.

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by tripper View Post
    Battery life is not a strong suit of the G1 so I do wonder how using the touchscreen is going to impact on battery life ? maybe they have improved power usage but I guess they would be shouting it loud if they had ?

    tripper
    I think it depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to my D700 or A900, I agree. Compared to Oly, it is like double. I'm actually very happy with battery life on both G1 and GF1

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Well, in truth, Godfrey about hits it on the head for what I want. Even though I asked about the 14-42 it was more about clarifying the OIS/IBIS question--which I believe will remain OIS and that's okay with me. Its how I've shot for many years.

    Diane



    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Yes, of course there is.

    They left a darn good camera design intact and did a couple of careful updates to control ergonomics, added the now-well-worked out HD video capture, added the latest image data handling and processing system.

    This insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me. I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released. I need and want a solid, well worked out, incremental improvement on something I already know works brilliantly.

    I think Panasonic's done just the right thing with their model line. Produced a cheaper model in the line for those who can't afford the more expensive ones, produce a better version of an existing excellent model, and keep on going.

    The only thing I don't know or care about is the new version of the kit lens. Panasonic: "Please make the G2 available as a body-only kit. I have all the lenses I need, and I didn't need the 14-45/3.5-5.6 zoom. I don't need another 14-42 zoom either."

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    I do like my GF1 and the EVF accessory--wouldn't have bought it without. I added the leather full case so now I carry the camera in my handbag without care, the EVF in its little case to be added (it snaps onto the strap)--for more casual shooting.

    Its also a nice second body for me--def. not my first as the G1 suits my needs better all round, but I like having 2 bodies whenever I shoot---and the GF1 tucks into a bag really easily--hardly know its there. The G10 may replace the GF1 for some as a 'second' body--or more inexpensive way to enter m4/3rds--esp. for P & S upgraders.

    Diane

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    yes, exactly as you say, optional plug in ... but you need to spend another US$199 on top of the (IMHO already inflated) price of the GF-1 ... as it is an accessory (haven't seen it bundled by panasonic yet) I wasn't including that in the list of camera features.

    Thus out of the box my above simplification stands:
    The G10 will give you some sort of EVF, while the GF-1 will not. Both have video but neither have swivel screens.

    but as you point out the option exists for adding to the GF what the G10 comes with standard. I'll be real interested to see the price of the G10.

    Also, as the LVF-1 will weigh something it will alter the weight spec of the GF-1 which people like to tout as being a factor. And if you have it fitted it'll make it less pocketable than it is without it (another point people love to cite about the GF-1, its more pocketable)

    this is not to say I don't like the GF-1, as I do. I would like to buy one but as it comes with less features I don't feel like paying more for what I see as less.

  44. #44
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Di

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I do like my GF1 and the EVF accessory--wouldn't have bought it without.
    out of interest, did you pay more for your GF1 + EVF than you did for your G1?


    just wondering, though perhaps I'd pick up the EP-2 as my second tuck away body :-)

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Yes LOL. I bought my G1 for $539 from Canada back in Dec. 2008 from Ebay. A number of us got great prices then. I paid full price for my GF1 and got my EVF from Monza at a bit of better price for getdpi folks--so yes, paid more.

    So--people would ask--why would I do that??? I guess even at that price, still not a bad price when you consider I paid $500 for the Canon G9 (just out--and it never served my purpose and is now my husband's carry around) and it has the PITS for an OVF (I added a Voigtlander 35mm finder--so that brought THAT one up--and didn't improve the usability nor the IQ for me LOL). I do use the GF1 quite a bit--and its nice to have the 20 or some other smaller lens on it and a longer or MF lens on the G1.

    I like the, as you say, 'tuck away body'---it fits into a lens slot in my Domke F6, even with the EVF on--so hardly notice it, but nice to have along.

  46. #46
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Hi Di

    over here in Finland the GF-1 + a EVF will set me back 928 euro (with the 14-45 and 978 euro with the 20mm) while an E-P2 with the Oly pancake (which comes with an EVF) will cost about 100 euro less (which is about US$140)

    I consider the IBIS to be a benefit for things (like movies as well as the obvious) and thus think that E-P2 is a better buy

    If the G10 comes in for less than the GF I'll swear

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    That sounds a reasonable plan. I don't have any particular loyalty--just that I bought the G1 first--and then bought the GF1 because it had an EVF then--and then EP2 came out. The G10 sounds like it might be a good second also--price will count.

    Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi Di

    over here in Finland the GF-1 + a EVF will set me back 928 euro (with the 14-45 and 978 euro with the 20mm) while an E-P2 with the Oly pancake (which comes with an EVF) will cost about 100 euro less (which is about US$140)

    I consider the IBIS to be a benefit for things (like movies as well as the obvious) and thus think that E-P2 is a better buy

    If the G10 comes in for less than the GF I'll swear

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Godfrey,

    Nice to know your opinion, which I asked for in the first place. Thanks for your reply.
    I had given my own opinion just a few messages before yours, so you may have read it too. Byt that's not important. It's just a matter of opinion.

    But taking your reply to a point to include the sentence "insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me" which does not relate to me, was unnecessary. So I have to send it back to you.

    Coming back to the technical discussion, with the present level of technology, I wouldn't be surprised to have a backlit sensor (like Sony is working on, and Ricoh is already using, etc.) or other improvements that can make it still better for high ISO photos. I also think that the highlight end needs some improvements (my personal opinion, others may not agree).

    Summary: G2 is fine, but so are G1, GH1 and GF-1. I know that the improvements will be coming in a relatively short time, because the competition is tough.





    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Yes, of course there is.

    They left a darn good camera design intact and did a couple of careful updates to control ergonomics, added the now-well-worked out HD video capture, added the latest image data handling and processing system.

    This insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me. I don't need to be titillated and dizzy with excitement when an updated model for my present camera is released. I need and want a solid, well worked out, incremental improvement on something I already know works brilliantly.

    I think Panasonic's done just the right thing with their model line. Produced a cheaper model in the line for those who can't afford the more expensive ones, produce a better version of an existing excellent model, and keep on going.

    The only thing I don't know or care about is the new version of the kit lens. Panasonic: "Please make the G2 available as a body-only kit. I have all the lenses I need, and I didn't need the 14-45/3.5-5.6 zoom. I don't need another 14-42 zoom either."
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

  49. #49
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    ...
    But taking your reply to a point to include the sentence "insane need for every new model to be something "New, Groundbreaking, Different,..." blah blah blah is ridiculous to me" which does not relate to me, was unnecessary. So I have to send it back to you. ...
    No offense was intended. I was speaking out of exasperation reading several threads of similar nature where 'wails of discontent' seemed to be the norm that Panasonic had not created some god-like magical device imbued with mystical powers to excite and bedazzle with the G2 introduction.

    It's an update to a camera, looks to be a sensible one. The added value seems to be worth it. More things will come in the future: life is good. For that I need to be excited? I'll buy one when it makes sense to, which depends on my work and on how quickly it is supported by Lightroom.

  50. #50
    Senior Member Y.B.Hudson III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is there any reason to be excited about the G2?

    ... better sensor won't help pooly designed lenses...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •