The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G2 and G10 announced

D

Devon Shaw

Interesting how they've changed the kit from a 14-45 to a 14-42 like the Olympus collapsible, not that it is that big of a difference, but does anyone have an idea why?

T

tripper

Devon, I think this is a cost cutting exercise, apparently is has a plastic mount and no O.I.S switch. O.I.S now switched in body.

Sadly for the HDR shooters there is no improvement on the 3/5/7 shot spread of the G1. Where is the 3 shot -2, 0, +2 option everyone wanted.

I also notice this statement.

" • The DMC-G2 comes with a function to check whether the battery and unit can be safely used together. • Batteries made by other companies which have been certified by Panasonic may be used with these units "

Assuming Panasonic certify any of course ?

tripper

pellicle

Hi

nice to see finally ... do let us know what you think Tipper!

I see that the G10 has rather a lame EVF specification compared to the G1 ... I suspect you'll need to get the GH1 to get that now

it is as I suspected, they played their best hand to lead with the G1

pellicle

and what is it with stating their lenses as 14-28 (35mm equivalent), I personally find that confusing

K

Kewk

The camera's are not too exciting, but that 100-300mm f4 lens looks nice. Assuming it has OIS and is high quality glass, it may allow me to completely ditch my Canon stuff which I keep for nature photography.

The 14mm is also sounds like nice lens, though I have hopes Olympus will come out with the rumored 12mm lens soon.

T

tripper

Kewk, where are you seeing the " 100 - 300mm f4 lens ?

tripper

pellicle

The camera's are not too exciting, but that 100-300mm f4 lens looks nice.
did we see the same page? I looked again to see, but didn't see the 100-300mm mentioned there. I've heard it rumored and seen prototypes pikkies but not more yet ... can you toss me a link? I'm also very interested in a 300f4

CPWarner

The 100-300mm has been on the Panasonic lens roadmap for a while.

As to the G10, it seems this is a low cost option to go below the G2. The G2, now that it has video, makes me wonder what they will do with the GH1 and it's replacement down the road. Curiously, here was little discussion on sensors either in the anouncements or in the DPreview hands on preview. I wonder if there are improvements there. Lastly, there was not statement of price or availability...

pellicle

Amin

The 100-300 will be f/5.6 at the tele end.
thanks, yep, that's the picture I've seen ... for me the lack of lens based tripod mount is a bit of a downer ... makes the lens more of a hand holding affair (or a beanbag).

hope that OIS is good :)

CPWarner

Interesting how they've changed the kit from a 14-45 to a 14-42 like the Olympus collapsible, not that it is that big of a difference, but does anyone have an idea why?
The DPreview comments say that it has a plastic mount. I think Panasonic introduced this to decreasing the costs of producing the lens to allow a lower price of the G10 and lens kit. It is odd that they included it with the G2. I would have thought they would the 14-45 with the G2 to differentiate it more.

Amin

Amin

thanks, yep, that's the picture I've seen ... for me the lack of lens based tripod mount is a bit of a downer ... makes the lens more of a hand holding affair (or a beanbag).

hope that OIS is good :)
Maybe it just doesn't need one? I don't know the size/weight of that lens, but isn't it possible that the camera based tripod mount will be just fine? Similar to the 70-300mm lenses for APS-C and regular 4/3.

scho

Guess I would rather have a 300m f/4 than the zoom, but I could always pick up a Canon FD if I should ever decide I really need this focal length.

pellicle

Maybe it just doesn't need one? I don't know the size/weight of that lens, but isn't it possible that the camera based tripod mount will be just fine? Similar to the 70-300mm lenses for APS-C and regular 4/3.
it is possible, but as a long time user of the EF100-300 I can say I constantly scratched my head as to how to make a mount for the lens.

It definitely reduces cantilever type vibration (I'm not so concerned about the strain on the mount or camera) especially on a monopod. It can make changing the orientation from portrait to landscape much smoother and the I just happen to like working that way.

Have you ever used a lens that way?

pellicle

Hi

Guess I would rather have a 300m f/4 than the zoom, but I could always pick up a Canon FD if I should ever decide I really need this focal length.
a good choice and a nice lens ... I have exactly that. But it might be nice to have AF from time to time. Sometimes its a struggle sometimes its like having an assistant to do focus for me.

Tullio

... apparently is has a plastic mount and no O.I.S switch. O.I.S now switched in body....
The announcement does mention OIS but it does not specifically states that's now IBIS. We assume it is since the new 14-42mm no longer has the switch. That will be a good thing, specially for those of us shooting with old vintage MF lenses. However, my concern is with regards to all new Lumix lenses not having OIS, particularly the 100-300mm, which I'm very much interested in for the long reach. If I had to guess, I'd say the new L lenses will not have OIS, which is bad for G1/GH1/GF1 owners. I just hope the lens will be fully compatible with the EP1.