The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ loss with tele-converter

Ron Evers

I have often read that you loose IQ if you use a tele-converter so I wanted to see for myself. I used a Vivitar series 1, 70-210/3.5 & a Vivitar 2x converter for the experiment on my G1. I set a tripod on our balcony & shot the bird bath in the back yard with a salmon tin sitting in it. The ISO was set @ 100 & I used f5.6 for the shots.

1. Lens set ~ FL 200, no converter, 1/1600s

2. Lens set ~ FL 100 with 2x converter to equal FL 200, 1/400s

There is definitely a loss of light & IQ with the converter in this simple trial.

D

Devon Shaw

I've appreciated seeing your tests with all these old lenses.

One possible problem I see with this test though is that the lens might not have the same image quality when used alone at the different focal lengths.

Ron Evers

I've appreciated seeing your tests with all these old lenses.

One possible problem I see with this test though is that the lens might not have the same image quality when used alone at the different focal lengths.

I expect this is true of any lens.

Tullio

Both images look very similar (you can actually see more details under the water on the second shot). I have a Kenko 1.5x tele-converter (Pentax mount). I'll check it out just out of curiosity.