The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro 4/3 manual focusing

Z

zivk

... I was using the GF1 with a Konica 40mm f1.8 lens wide open. To focus manually, you simply push in the rear command wheel and the screen magnifies, focus to taste, shoot.

But with GF1 the only way I know to activate manual focus assist (magnification) is to first press the button to the left of the menu/set button and then the menu/set button. Only then, if you turn the command wheel it will change the MF assist magnification (only two settings for magnification though). Pushing in the rear command wheel activates overexposing or underexposing only. Maybe I got something wrong? I wish I could bring in the MF assist by only one push, not two.

Rich M

But with GF1 the only way I know to activate manual focus assist (magnification) is to first press the button to the left of the menu/set button and then the menu/set button. Only then, if you turn the command wheel it will change the MF assist magnification (only two settings for magnification though). Pushing in the rear command wheel activates overexposing or underexposing only. Maybe I got something wrong? I wish I could bring in the MF assist by only one push, not two.
Check the firmware on your GF-1 (Menu.....Tools....screen #4....version disp).

Firmware 1.1 enabled the single push on the rear thumbwheel that Jack alludes too.

R

Z

zivk

Check the firmware on your GF-1 (Menu.....Tools....screen #4....version disp).

Firmware 1.1 enabled the single push on the rear thumbwheel that Jack alludes too.

R
Wow! Thanks, I updated the firmware and it works like a charm.

Marko

retow

I'm going to jump in here. I think something that has not been mentioned is the IBIS that goes along with the E-P2. Maybe it's just me, but my longer MF lenses are problematic on my GF-1 in low light. If I don't keep in mind the old rule....length=speed, then I get lots of motion blur.

So, it's not an issue of the focus.......it's an issue with shake.

On my E-P2, I am getting shots (again on longer lenses >50mm) that I was not able to get on my GF-1. Does that mean the E-P2 is a "better" camera? No....I just shoot more of my legacy lenses on it.

R
You are absolutely right. Had the G1 before, but because of IBIS & best in class EVF the EP2 it is the better tool for mf.

pellicle

Hi

You are absolutely right. Had the G1 before, but because of IBIS & best in class EVF the EP2 it is the better tool for mf.
I'd agree about the IBIS, but wonder what this class you speak of is? It would be hard to argue that the E-P2 EVF is better than the G1 so, do you mean out of the GF1 and the EP-2, as there is no EVF for the E-P1 as I understood it .. ??

retow

Hi

I'd agree about the IBIS, but wonder what this class you speak of is? It would be hard to argue that the E-P2 EVF is better than the G1 so, do you mean out of the GF1 and the EP-2, as there is no EVF for the E-P1 as I understood it .. ??[/QUOTE

It refers to the EVFs of G1, GF1 and EP2. There is nothing to complain about the G1's EVF, but the EP2's is a tad better.

pellicle

Hi

It refers to the EVFs of G1, GF1 and EP2. There is nothing to complain about the G1's EVF, but the EP2's is a tad better.
that's interesting that you say a tad better, as a quick hunt up will reveal that Olympus VF-2 has 1.15x magnification while the G1 has 1.4x magnification.

Firstly, this makes the G1 view bigger to your eye than the VF-2. However there is a reason for the lower magnification, that is that it is actually a lower resolution. So if it was viewed at the same apparent size then pixels would be more apparent than they are.

I see pixels in the VF-2 when I look into it.

The chip that the Panasonic uses for its EVF alternates each pixel, to quote from a well known reference "uses a field sequential system that mixes red, green and blue images shown sequentially at 60fps, giving an effective viewfinder resolution of 1.4 million dots at 180 fps."

The Olympus as I have read does not do this and uses the more common pixel divided into 3 bars that other screens use. So Technically it has the same number of pixels (1.44Mp), but that's the total count of R, G, and B pixels

I guess that its like wine, everyone has different tastes. I'm certainly not going to suggest that you don't prefer one over the other, but there just isn't any technical reason to suggest that the E-P2's VF-2 could be superior to the G1's.

Having said that I do know another person who has a GH1 and a E-P2 who says he prefers the EP-2's finder ... so its not only down to spec

I like my wine in red, preferably dry ...

PS:

from

Seiko Epson Corporation (“Epson”, TSE:6724) today announced that it has begun volume production of a new high-temperature polysilicon (HTPS) TFT color panel for electronic viewfinders. Measuring just 0.47 of an inch (1.2 cm) diagonally, the new panels offer SVGA (800 x RGB x 600) resolution in red, green and blue for a total of 1.44 megapixels.
800x600 display is 480,000 actual colour dots, if you multiply that by 3 you get 1.44 "pixels"

Last edited:
K

ktraphagen

Wow! Thanks, I updated the firmware and it works like a charm.

Marko
I've updated my firmware, but I'm still new to the camera and need to reference the manual. Is there a list online of the updated features and how to access them? Thx.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I love my GF1 EVF.

Karyn

V

Vivek

The chip that the Panasonic uses for its EVF alternates each pixel, to quote from a well known reference "uses a field sequential system that mixes red, green and blue images shown sequentially at 60fps, giving an effective viewfinder resolution of 1.4 million dots at 180 fps."
The best in the business, without any question. They (Pana) do know how to make an useful EVF. Even now, I can't believe that the G1 was priced the way it was. The EVF and the swivel TFT screen alone was worth the price tag.

The NX10's EVF is very, very sharp. So sharp that you can see the pixels which are more prominent than the information you see.:rolleyes: