The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

This summer will need a 300mm - suggestions

greypilgrim

So, given that the 100-300mm looks like it will not make it by this summer (Maybe Photokina?), I am going to need something with a longer reach than the 45-200mm by July.

I currently have a 70-300mm nikkor, but that is heftier than I would like although it may be the route I have to go.

I am looking for something that is relatively compact, has good image quality, and not too expensive that could get me out to at least 500mm equivalent with a 600mm equivalent preferable.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

slau

Have you considered the Canon 300f4 (non-IS)? I have the IS version and it is very good and it should be relatively inexpensive (~ $500?). You may have to shoot wide open at f4 if you don't have another Canon body to set the aperture. But, I won't hesitate to shoot that lens wide open and you probably need the shutter speed anyway. It is quite light and you can shoot handheld all day long. You can buy a tripod collar if you like. Look for a third party collar which should cost you 1/10 of what a Canon collar costs. On the G1/GH1, it is more like shooting with a 600 mm and you will need all the shutter speed you can afford and use all the good long lens technique.

Rich M

I agree with Stephen on the Canon. I also have shot with the Konica Hexanon 300mm AR 4.5.....It's relatively light (not a monster) and takes nice photos when you have good lighting.

These sell generally less than the Canons.

R

K

Kewk

The Olympus 70-300mm four thirds lens is what I'd look into.

simonclivehughes

Doug,

If you already own Nikon, then perhaps consider the Nikkor 300mm f4 lens. With a 1.4X teleconverter, you'll get up to 840mm, and the lens gives beautiful results on the u4/3's bodies. It doesn't solve the weight issue however, but then neither does the Canon lens.

Cheers,

f6cvalkyrie

Hi, Doug,

hard to give advice if we don't know what you need this lens for ;)
I myself use either the Zoom-Nikkor 50-300mm/4.5 or the Reflex-Nikkor 500/8 when I need the extra reach, like for shooting pics of birds in the garden.

Have you considered catadioptric lenses ? Usually they are lighter and cheaper than all glass lenses. But you have to live with the bokeh !

Unless you would go for this one, of course :D but the weight difference in you wallet will be overcompensated by the weight of the lens :mad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170455644807&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

C U
Rafael

V

Vivek

I am looking for something that is relatively compact, has good image quality, and not too expensive that could get me out to at least 500mm equivalent with a 600mm equivalent preferable.

Suggestions?
Doug, The Olympus pen F 250/5 fits the bill (perhaps except the "price" and availability) nicely. Tiny and light weight compared to the 300/4s and similar from any system. Come with a fabulous built in tripod mount and lens shade.:thumbs:

pellicle

Doug, The Olympus pen F 250/5 fits the bill (perhaps except the "price" and availability) nicely. Tiny and light weight compared to the 300/4s and similar from any system. Come with a fabulous built in tripod mount and lens shade.:thumbs:
hmmm ... you don't have a picture of that do you? Seems to be none around.

as a 250 however its a tough call ... the extra 50mm may or may not be noticeable over 200, which then opens up a number of 200mm options that are lighter, faster, have tripod mounts or many of the above ;-)

poking about on KEH I see there is an Olympus OM two touch 80-250 zoom with a lens based tripod mount (but missing) for $89, and a PEN F 250 too ... not that dear really

greypilgrim

Okay, some really good suggestions.

To answer as to why, we are going on an Alaska cruise this summer with my in laws who are celebrating their 50th and we are celebrating our 25th.

So, unfortunately, I anticipate being on the ship when I want to be "over there" wherever "there" is. Also, whales, dolphins, eagles, bears on shore, etc... All are possibilities. So, I do not think the 45-200 will have the reach I want.

And unfortunately, the money goes into the cruise rather than lenses for some reason :)...

I like Vivek's idea of the pen 250 as it seems smaller. I'll have to look at the mirror lenses to see what they weigh in at as well.

I wonder if there are any smallish catadioptric lenses...

All food for thought,

Doug

Last edited:

Rich M

Okay, some really good suggestions.

To answer as to why, we are going on an Alaska cruise this summer with my in laws who are celebrating their 50th and we are celebrating our 25th.
Congratulations on the anniversaries.

Alaska........the last frontier of photo ops. I have been going up there every year, and while not going on a cruise ship (which sounds like a nice stable platform), I do go out whenever I can on the bird/whale/glacier tour boats. It's a really challenging photographic environment....very wet, VERY bumpy. I don't think I would choose any of the m4/3 cameras or MF lenses (no matter how long) for this purpose. AF and IS (along with weatherproofing) are a must.

That sounds discouraging.....maybe it's just me, that I always seem to hit the more marginal weather. Good luck...I am sure you will have bright sun and glassy seas.

R

greypilgrim

Congratulations on the anniversaries.

Alaska........the last frontier of photo ops. I have been going up there every year, and while not going on a cruise ship (which sounds like a nice stable platform), I do go out whenever I can on the bird/whale/glacier tour boats. It's a really challenging photographic environment....very wet, VERY bumpy. I don't think I would choose any of the m4/3 cameras or MF lenses (no matter how long) for this purpose. AF and IS (along with weatherproofing) are a must.

That sounds discouraging.....maybe it's just me, that I always seem to hit the more marginal weather. Good luck...I am sure you will have bright sun and glassy seas.

R
Well, we won't be on many of the tour boats as they charge large amounts, and for a party as large as ours will be, that really adds up fast per person. Once we hit port, we will be making our own way (with some advanced prep work).

So, I am really interested in something that I can use from the ship for a longer reach; it would kinda suck to be on board and missing good whale shots for instance because I didn't have anything long enough. Once on shore, I will revert back to my normal kit I imagine.

Thanks,
Doug

apicius9

For such cases I snapped up a Leica Telyt 250/4 plus a 2x extender. The 250 is not yet such a monster as the longer ones, the extender doesn't deteriorate the picture to being unusable, the combo gives me 2 lengths for some variability, and it won't loose much in value should I ever decide to resell it again. But it clearly is not the lightest option...

Stefan

henningw

I've used a lot of different catadioptric lenses, and the newer Nikon one is probably the best of the affordable ones. That said, a Tamron 500/8 is probably the best value, and should be findable.

Some companies such as Sigma, Vivitar and Perkins-Elmer made 'solid cats' which are a bit heavier, but all were made to a fairly high standard and can deliver very good quality. They tend to be longer f.l. such as 650 or 800 and even more. The basic caveats mentioned below still apply.

All cat lenses have the obvious disadvantage of donut bokeh, but also have lower contrast than refractive lenses. This is not as big a deal for digital as it was for film, but still is not that good. The real downside is that while the lenses may say f/8, they're really t/11 to 16, so you need lots of light, especially with such a long reach. Their light weight also makes them less easy to hold steady, unless you hold them up to your eye for a long time.

The lenses with f.l. less than 500 generally have even less contrast, so the 350's (or even the couple of 250's made) are not as desirable on that account. On the other hand the 350's made by Tokina and Tamron (again, my preference is for the Tamron) are f/5.6, translating into t/8 or 9 in the case of the Tamron and t/9 to 10 for the Tokina.

Henning

I have been to Alaska several times and shot from boats on every trip (although I have never been on a cruise ship). This is a once in a lifetime experience for many. You will see lots of wildlife--whales, eagles, bears on the shore, all as you expect and maybe even more so! However, distances will be long and you can expect overcast weather much of the time (you might get lucky but be ready for cloudy and even rainy/sprinkly weather).

I will assume that you do not want to really shoot much at 1600 or above and are looking to tap the better image quality in the ISO 200-800 range.

For shipboard shooting I would most definitely recommend a zoom as your subjects will be at different distances and often moving (whales, dolphins, eagles in flight etc). Also, I would recommend IS as pretty essential. I definitely not leave your 45-200 behind as you might find it essential for much of your shooting.

You have an excellent longer option with the Nikon 70-300 and you really do not need anything else. Why spend the money?

If you truly want the best range of longer focal lengths, probably the ultimate choice would be the Sigma 50-500 zoom. It is larger, heavier and more expensive, but there is nothing you will encounter that that lens will not cover from the ship and with very good quality.

For probably the best image quality, but with a loss of flexibility, I would also vote for the Canon (or Nikon) 300mm f4. You get 600mm equiv. with wide aperture for fast shutter allowing lower ISO. Can use a teleconverter for 420mm (840 on m4/3!!) and still have 5.6. Again, care in technique is essential and the 840 length may be unuseable much of the time. A shorter 250 makes no sense-- only 20% more magnification over your already good 200. To make a difference, add a 300.

But, remember that without IS, any focal length 300mm (600mm equivalent) or over is going to be difficult to impossible to use. Even though a ship is stable, I suggest bringing a monopod which you can also brace against the ship's rail. This will give you worlds of improvement over hand-holding and make the difference between once-in-a-lifetime quality shots and blurry snaps.

Whatever lens you choose, at least consider adding a polarizing filter which will make a significant improvement when photographing into the water.

I would NOT get any mirror lenses. The focal lengths suggested (350/500) are 700 and 1,000 equivalents and you will not be able to handhold them or even monopod them and get reliably decent results. Their bokeh is atrocious and that really shows in wildlife photos. If you are photographing over water for whales, birds and such, the out of focus highlights in the water will show as donuts and are very distracting, and even dark backgrounds are busy and unpleasant looking. These lenses can be very sharp but their contrast problems cause loss of detail. They are niche lenses for ultra-portable ultra-telephoto lengths, but not real contenders in terms of image quality. You cannot use a filter on most them and even if you could they are too slow to allow a polarizer.

To sum it up:

Bring your 45-200 with IS!

Best zoom combo to reach 600mm equiv--add your Nikon 70-300 and no more cost!

Best extreme-range option: add the Sigma 50-500

Best image quality: add the Canon/Nikon 300mm f4, with 1.4 converter if you want.

Monopod essential.

Polarizer recommended.

Hope this helps!

Guy

S

stevebarnett

The obvious, not too expensive, half functional,moderately good quality choice is the Oly 70-300. It should be findable at less than $300. Used with the 4/3 to m4/3 adaptor it will autofocus on AFS and the aperture will work. There is no IS (with a Panasonic camera) so a monopod is a good idea. I have seen very good results from this lens (see Laura Pipkin's 2008 gallery at pbase) so its quality is good enough to not compromise your photos.

A Nikon, Pentax, or Canon FD 300/4 would also be good but MF only, more expensive, and much larger.