Site Sponsors

Thread: Questions about using vintage lenses on m4/3

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Questions about using vintage lenses on m4/3

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting some Voigtlander lenses to use on my G1 but I have a few questions about using them.

Firstly as micro four thirds cameras have a 2x crop factor, the focal length you actually get is multiplied by 2, so does that mean when you use the on-lense focus distance markings, you have to multiply the numbers by two also? I tried googling for more information but it just made me more confused

Secondly can any one recommend me a quality m-mount to m4/3 adaptor? (which will allow infinity focus) as I don't really want to pay the amount Panasonic are asking for theirs, and there is just too much choice on ebay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks - Vince
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about using vintage lenses on m4/3

The subject distance will always be the same irrespective of the focal length. i.e. a child 8 meters away will always be 8 meters away. Obviously, dependent on the lens attached the AMOUNT of the child captured will differ. (full length v head/shoulders etc)

I have both an RJ and a Kipon adapter for my Contax G attachments on a GF1 and both work very well. Bought fom Ebay.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about using vintage lenses on m4/3

Focal length doesn't change, only the covered area changes since it's cropped 2x. As an example, if you look through a 50mm lens on a G1 you should see an image the same size as what you see with your naked eye (it works if you keep both eyes open while you look through the EVF). It's just that with a larger sensor you'd see more of that same scene.

I also have the Kipon M-adapter, and it seems fine.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Questions about using vintage lenses on m4/3

Thanks Reeray and photoSmart43 for the quick response and adaptor suggestions, I really appreciate it
    Vince