The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 vs. EP1 lens mount

Tullio

I bought a Canon FD adapter and I'm puzzled by the fact that it mounts nice and tight on my EP1 but on the G1 it's a bit loose (as I turn the focus ring, the adapter moves slightly forward/backward). Has anyone experienced a similar issue? It is obvious that in my case the problem is with the FD adapter because I also have a Pentax mount adapter, which works perfectly fine on both cameras.

pellicle

Tullio

I suspect that this is down to manufacturing tolerances and the makers guessing what it is. The springs may be of different tension inside the mount (the ones which hold the inside of the lens flanges) and this may make the difference.

there could also be some variation between cameras. Different to your question I know, but I have 2 FD's which are quite snug on one adaptor and one that just won't mount.

Tullio

Thanks for your replies. It makes me wonder whether I should spend another $40 and buy a different adapter or just keep the one I have and ignore the problem. It is annoying but it works.

pellicle

my FIL seemed to be somehow bothered by the movement when I put my lens on his camera via adaptor ... so there is some half a thou play ... no light gets in, image seems fine ... why grumble?

unless its not about the photos and all about the gear ... I know what it is in his case.

:)

Tullio

The problem I have is with focus. As the adapter slightly moves forward/backward, it affects the accuracy of the focus.

pellicle

The problem I have is with focus. As the adapter slightly moves forward/backward, it affects the accuracy of the focus.
really ... that's totally crap ... can you post an image of the adaptor on the camera (like a close up)

what brand is it?

Tullio

I got the adapter on eBay and there is no brand name on it. Interestingly enough, I can't find any auction from that same seller...humm!?! Because it's been over 3 months, I can't go back and look at the auction either. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow morning.

PeterB666

There is a little metal strip behind the mount tabs in the adapter. Just increase the gap between the tab and the strip using a fine jeweller’s screwdriver but don't go overboard. That will tighten up the adapter and get rid of the movement.

Tullio

Thanks, Peter. However, I'm not quite sure I understood the exercise. The problem is, I'm not sure I know what the "tabs" are and how to increase the gap with a screwdriver. Am I supposed to unscrew something? Pardon my ignorance.

pellicle

Tulio

the spring peter is discussing is here ...

try reading this blog article ... http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/11/micro-43-om-adaptors.html

the points it makes with reference to the OM lens seating on the adaptor are precisely the same points of the adaptor seating on the camera

in particular look at this image carefully

click on it in the blog article (or any of the images actually) for a larger view

examine your lens and look at the rear of the lens (the mount) carefully, perhaps you will see the flanges being discussed. I do not know if you are a native english speaker, so if not, if your language is Spanish, try these words

noun

1. ceja
2. pestaña
3. reborde
4. brida
5. borde

I don't speak spanish, so I can not comment on the relevence of them.

If the answers I provide are insufficient for your understanding, please ask specific questions related to that reply and I will do my best to rephrase, but as I have gone to the trouble to reply it means that I am trying to help you.

Tullio

Thanks, guys. Now I understand. The thing is, the wiggly problem I'm experiencing is between the adapter and the camera. The lens mounts on the adapter nice and tight. When I mount the adapter on the EP1, once it clicks it stays firm and won't move at all. On the G1 however, it clicks but I can still move a millimeter forward or backward. That's enough to mess up crucial focusing (particular when shooting macro or at f1.4 where DoF is very shallow). So, if the issue makes me think that the problem is with the G1 lens mount flanges being slightly smaller than the EP1, thus causing the problem. I guess the only way to find out is to buy another adapter from a different eBay seller.

frank2001

I also bought a cheaply built no name adapter on eBay.
The release button was stuck and I couldn't get my Leica lens off the adapter..
Finally, after careful prodding and repeated attempts it freed up and I got it off.
I learned my lesson, almost the hard way, and I won't try to save a buck on a no-name product again.

Tullio

pellicle, here's the funny part. The FD mount fits perfectly on the EP1, with no wiggling what-so-ever. I also have a Pentax mount adapter, which fits good on both cameras. So, that makes me believe the adapter is the problem but there is certainly a difference between the G1 and the EP1 mounts (on the camera) otherwise the FD adapter would not wiggle.

Frank, the problem is that as far as price goes, they are all over the place. I've seen some adapters going for $25 and others for $125 and a whole bunch in between. So, which ones are OK and which are not?

pellicle

Tullio ... might be interesting to put together a post showing which and what. I would love to know how much movement we're talking about here ... but as you say its effecting focus.

ps: touching the front element of my EF50f1.8 (for instance moving the polariser) causes the image to move significantly in the view finder ... so slop in lenses isn't really new to me

Tullio

I might just do that. I need time to set up the camera, take the shots and edit the images with some arrows pointing to a mark or something that will show how much the adapter turns once it clicks. To be honest, I don't believe there is a solution other than buying a different adapter brand and see how it compares.