The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-PL1

monza

Blue E-PL1, I like the color, grip is more substantial than E-P1, built-in flash, and EVF option, at $600 with 14-42 it's a lot less than the GF1 14-45 kit...

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Blue E-PL1, I like the color, grip is more substantial than E-P1, built-in flash, and EVF option, at $600 with 14-42 it's a lot less than the GF1 14-45 kit...
Thanks Monza

I guess there is no hope of them doing body only?

Keith

monza

SKU 262855 is body only, but it's only $50 less. Probably best to buy the body with lens and then ebay the lens. :)

Y.B.Hudson III

Iridient Digital's Raw Developer now supports the E-PL1... I got a bLue one... it should complement my Hello Kitty bag. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Monza.

kevinparis

If you are a mac user ... and your favorite app supports e-p2 but not e-pl1... then this little app may help

facefullofbees.com

K

V

Vivek

Is there a proper sized EVF available for this? Will GF-1's "optional" EVF will work with this?

Why would they not sell a cam with an EVF alone instead of the kitzoomm? :confused:

frank2001

I have owned the E-P1 then the GF-1, then the EP-2.
None of them made me happy.
Now I have the E-PL1 with the Olympus EVF and I am finally happy.
Olympus finally got it right :)

Terry

Can you compare and contrast what you like about the E-PL1 that you didn't like about the other Olys?

Photomorgana

Could you please let me know why do you prefer EPL1 over EP2 (what are the reasons, what are the advantages, other than price)

Thanks,

I guess Terry was first :) but still....

retow

Same question here. Besides being a tad lighter and having a better (?) grip, what makes the E-PL1 the better choice?

DjordjeJ

I dont own E-PL1, but from spec, major advantage over E-P1 are wireless control of external Olympus "R" flashes, EVF, internal flash.
However I handled E-PL1, and it seems less well made than E-P1 or E-P2. Also, grip is bigger, bit doesnt seems better. I think Ricoh has best grip for small cameras.

kwatro

How about the shutter speed? I heard E-PL1 only goes up to 1/2000.
I lke pictures with low DOF, is it enough to take picture with f1.5 outside on sunny day? :)

Y.B.Hudson III

How about the shutter speed? I heard E-PL1 only goes up to 1/2000.
I lke pictures with low DOF, is it enough to take picture with f1.5 outside on sunny day? :)
... do the math...sunny 16 rule... f/1.5 @ ISO 100 = 12,800/sec...

:toocool: duh... don't know of a camera that does that.:lecture:

Looks like you need a neutral density filter ...

frank2001

Could you please let me know why do you prefer EPL1 over EP2 (what are the reasons, what are the advantages, other than price)

Thanks,

I guess Terry was first :) but still....
Sorry I didn't respond sooner
I wasn't subscribed to the thread
I started with an E-P1.
I didn’t care for the LCD and the AF was slow. However, I did sell it before the AF firmware update.
The biggest problem was trying to focus with the 45-200mm Panasonic lens. The balance, at arm’s length, was just awkward and the LCD was not good in daylight.
I then switched to the GF-1 and the EVF. It was better but the EVF was disappointing compared to my G1.
The jpegs weren’t as nice either and I do not want to have to post process every shot.
Then came the E-P2. Great little camera build and feel are high quality. It reminded me of a little Leica.
The Olympus EVF is hands down better than the Panasonic and balance with the Camera held like an SLR made the Panasonic 45-200mm very usable.
Only drawback, you cannot use flash and EVF at the same time.
So Olympus announces the E-PL1 a week after I got my E-P2.
Had to give it a try so I ordered one as soon as they were available.
I am happy I did.
I have big hands and the E-PL1, even though it is smaller, it just feels better than the others.
That little grip helps a lot.
It has a built in flash so I can use the EVF and fill flash plus. It has, IMHO, better out of the camera images.
Frank

Y.B.Hudson III

EPL-1.../ jupiter 8 @ 2.8±, ISO 100 "scratchin' post"

raw developer conversion, no sharpening, no noise reduction, no adjustments...

LCD screen loves fingerprints :rolleyes:... VF-2 recommended for bright light situations.

ergonomics for manual focus and exposure lock are very good :cool: , though the "focusing patch" movement is herky jerky... and needs a firmware fix.

cheers Hudson...

V

Vivek

Nice photo, Hudson.

Is there any reason the more expensive E-PL1 (plus EVF) is better than the G1 in terms of image quality or is it purely a matter of camera fetish?

kdphotography

*what if* instead of converting a 2d Panasonic GF1 to IR....... converting the Oly E-PL1 to IR instead....??

-saves about $200 initial body acquisition over another GF1 with 14-45
-leave 14-42 lens on the E-PL1 for IR

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
*what if* instead of converting a 2d Panasonic GF1 to IR....... converting the Oly E-PL1 to IR instead....??

-saves about $200 initial body acquisition over another GF1 with 14-45
-leave 14-42 lens on the E-PL1 for IR
Just my 2 cents, but when I had the G1 and EP1, shooting with the two different interfaces drove me nuts. YMMV