The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-PL1

Terry

*what if* instead of converting a 2d Panasonic GF1 to IR....... converting the Oly E-PL1 to IR instead....??

-saves about $200 initial body acquisition over another GF1 with 14-45
-leave 14-42 lens on the E-PL1 for IR
In converting a m4/3 camera to IR I would HIGHLY recommend converting a camera with a viewfinder. So, G1/GF1/EP2/E-PL1. The image on the LCD will be very muted and in bright sunlight you will find it hard to even frame the shot. The best value, most practical would be a used G1. The most compact would be the GF1/E-Pl1.

kdphotography

Decisions, decisions....

I already have a GF1 (20mm, 14-45, EVF) that I love; the plan was to get a 2d GF1 with another 14-45 and convert it to IR, leaving the 14-45 on it fulltime.

I think Cindy may be right---skimping to save $200---probably better to have the same body/interface.... and I can use the EVF on it too as Terry suggests...

Y.B.Hudson III

Nice photo, Hudson.

Is there any reason the more expensive E-PL1 (plus EVF) is better than the G1 in terms of image quality or is it purely a matter of camera fetish?
yehh, thanks, Vivek... My G1's shutter at the higher speeds was not evenly illuminating the sensor, light fall of on the right edge (an evolving problem)... on an old school M, a simple cla would have solve t' problem.

The raw files are different... my limited intuitive take is that the oLy is longer tonally? best with out any noise reduction, and minimal to no sharpening required.* The OLy defalt jpegs are in La La land. I wanted to try something different...while waiting for the G2...and Hoping that some manufacturer will make real tools. :toocool: ones that clean fly poop off the sensor and float when your horse decides to take a swim...

* I should do some real tests...but then again... the EPL-1 wif a Switar Macro is so cute, a chic magnet, I was feeling neglected with the G1.

Hudson:ROTFL:

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... Vivek... did an unscientific, ugly test, but very interesting... completely boring, you have to be a neurotic pixel peeper to see the difference.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Decisions, decisions....

I already have a GF1 (20mm, 14-45, EVF) that I love; the plan was to get a 2d GF1 with another 14-45 and convert it to IR, leaving the 14-45 on it fulltime.

I think Cindy may be right---skimping to save $200---probably better to have the same body/interface.... and I can use the EVF on it too as Terry suggests...
Really, what is $200 at this point!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Also, I'm finding I never take the 7-14mm off of my G1 IR. It is so much more interesting than 14-45. YMMV

kdphotography

Really, what is $200 at this point!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Also, I'm finding I never take the 7-14mm off of my G1 IR. It is so much more interesting than 14-45. YMMV
Instigator!

I've been avoiding looking at that 7-14mm thread....

Geez! This forum is getting just like the Medium Format Forum Spending Support Group....just on a smaller scale! :ROTFL:

T

teho

Hi All, i need help choosing between the E-P2 and E-PL1. I'm in a dilemma.
truth to be told I'm a novice in photography. I did take BASIC fundamentals in a photography module at school, played with an SLR for a while, so I have basic knowledge about shutter, aperture, ISO and a few other basic in-cam stuff. I'm trying to find one that is worth investing in, even though an entry level DSLR is cheaper but I'll rather pay more for something less burden to carry around.

One of the drawbacks of the E-P2 for me is the lack of flash. I seldom turn on the flash on my PnS camera so I'm not sure if flash is a must on a micro four thirds cam/SLR, or is it just a great addition to have like the E-PL1??
The downside for the E-PL1 for me is the build less solid, and the lesser range of shutter speed. at 1/2000 max, does it restrict a lot of stuff?

I hope i don't come off as ambitious trying to buy a prosumer cam like the E-P2 where an E-PL1 might be more suitable for an amateur like me. I'm just hoping to find one that can learn more, and purchase one that can build on for a very long while.

Thank you for your kind advise.

Terry

I would probably opt for the E-PL1. The flash can come in very handy. There are some good new features on the E-PL1. You can decide if you want the EVF or not. I would rather save some money for lenses. The 1/2000 would be a problem in bright sun shooting with a wide aperture. What do you think the bulk of your shooting will be?

V

Vivek

teho, I don't know where you are. Here in the Netherlands, Olympus have a 30 day money back offer on the EPL1.

If I am not shooting with a Panasonic G1 (more versatile and cheaper camera), I would have been tempted or might have bought a Sony TX7 (really cute).

EPL1 is cute as well but not cute enough to spend 450 Euros (plus extra for an unavailable EVF).

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh... 2,000/sec. is a mute question, with out the (unavailable) EVF I can't see anything in bright light.:bugeyes:*

but that said, the blue looks really cute with a switar macro 26mm and a pink wrist strap.:p

* an...heLLo, digital cameras are not investments... "swine futures" are a better bet... rebounding after last years flu scare...

Last edited:
T

teho

First off, thank you all for your helpful input :)

I would probably opt for the E-PL1. The flash can come in very handy. There are some good new features on the E-PL1. You can decide if you want the EVF or not. I would rather save some money for lenses. The 1/2000 would be a problem in bright sun shooting with a wide aperture. What do you think the bulk of your shooting will be?
I've looked up, the smallest aperture for the lens that comes with the E-PL1 is only at f5.6. If i'm getting the E-PL1, is it highly advisable to buy E-PL1 body with the GF1 lenses?
I'll be traveling quite a bit so it'll be scenery and some that involves people (*gulps* moving objects) heard AF speed on E-PL1 haven improve that much

teho, I don't know where you are. Here in the Netherlands, Olympus have a 30 day money back offer on the EPL1.

If I am not shooting with a Panasonic G1 (more versatile and cheaper camera), I would have been tempted or might have bought a Sony TX7 (really cute).

EPL1 is cute as well but not cute enough to spend 450 Euros (plus extra for an unavailable EVF).
sadly here in asia, i never heard of this kind of benefits. The G1 is a very good cam from what i've seen of the photos people share. but i'm a little greedy, prefer a cam that offers HD video capability.

yehh... 2,000/sec. is a mute question, with out the (unavailable) EVF I can't see anything in bright light.:bugeyes:*

but that said, the blue looks really cute with a switar macro 26mm and a pink wrist strap.:p

* an...heLLo, digital cameras are not investments... "swine futures" are a better bet... rebounding after last years flu scare...
haha you're funny. maybe not for you as an investment, but for tight budget poor student like me, i can only splurge once on a camera body and build from there (lens, filter...etc) the next time i can spend like that will be like errrr...5 years from now when i grad, start work and payoff school fees debt.