Site Sponsors

Thread: Shortest adapter for m4/3s

Post Thanks / Like

Shortest adapter for m4/3s

I want to add a fast 50mm lens to use with my GF-1. From what I can see, the Leica/Voigtlander adapters are the shortest. I have a Nikon adapter but it's a bit on the long side. I really want to keep the bulk of this kit down.

What's the smallest 50mm including adapter set up? Is there anything smaller than the Voigtlander 50/2.5 LTM?

Kewk

Re: Shortest adapter for m4/3s

A c mount 50mm might be lighter. Maybe a screw mount collapsible Summicron. You must have some other requirements besides size.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kewk View Post
    You must have some other requirements besides size.
    The only requirements I have is that I want something reasonably sharp and no slower than f2.8. The lens will only be used occasionally for casual portraits, shallow dof shots and the random general scenic focused at infinity.

Post Thanks / Like

The one that comes to mind is the Kern Switar 50/1.4 c-mount, very sharp and small lens but may be a bit pricey for occasional shooting...

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might have a look at the Olympus OM 50mm f1.8. It's tiny by comparison to the equivalent Nikons and Canons, and a good performer; but the adapter is about the same size/weight as your Nikon adapter. You can find good samples for well under $100.

regards
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest the Contax Zeiss Planar G 45/2 T*.

Here is a compilation somebody wanting a small sized kit made the other day at another forum:

# 55 CV 50/2.5 Color Skopar (shade included)
    # 60 Pentax 40/2.8
    # 64 CY 45/2.8 Tessar
    # 68 CV 40/1.4 Nocton
    # 68 Contax G 45/2 Planar
    # 69 Minolta Rokkor 45/2
    # 71 Nikon E 50/1.8
    # 78 Zuiko 50/1.8

The first number is the total length of the lens plus register distance (=from the front end of the lens to the sensor). I hope the numbers are correct, the list is said to be updated after some errors were found. Thanks to somebody calling himself mphaha. Please note he didn't include any c-mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lens mount distance to sensor/film plane - you are probably best of with the Leica M mount which is 27.95mm. C-mount is less at 17.52mm but unfortunately that is also less than the MFT standard which means lenses must be recessed into the mount. This restricts what you can fit.

For fast glass, why not look to a native MFT mount, e.g. the Noctor 50mm f/0.95 for USD $795? No adapter required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB666 View Post
    (...)
    For fast glass, why not look to a native MFT mount, e.g. the Noctor 50mm f/0.95 for USD $795? No adapter required.
    That lens is as "native" as any C-mount lens made for CCTV/Machine Vision is. Or maybe it is a notch more native with its bolted adapter.
    But, it is also big, heavy and expensive, but of course, fast. Unfortunately the background OOF rendering is a hit or miss. To my eyes it is most often plain ugly but that is subjective.

What make you suggest this lens as an option for a small lens for occasional use?

/Jonas

Kewk

I'd either go for c-mount or Leica mount depending on your budget. I'm a big fan of the 50mm Cosmicar for a cheap solution ($30). The old LTM Summitar is a nice portrait lens. A modern Summilux is even nicer if you want to spend the money. Or maybe a 40mm Rokkor. There are a lot lenses which fit your requirements.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the heck of it I ordered an Industar 61 from ebay for $15.00. Does anyone have experience with this lens on the m4/3 format?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest the Olympus Pen 40/1.4 or 38/1.8, they focus very close and the Pen adapter is about the same size as an M adapter, as the flange distance is almost the same.

noirist

Quote Originally Posted by jsnack View Post
    The only requirements I have is that I want something reasonably sharp and no slower than f2.8. The lens will only be used occasionally for casual portraits, shallow dof shots and the random general scenic focused at infinity.
    Why don't you get the Panasonic/Leica 45mm f2.8 lens instead of adapting a different lens? It's native m43rds so it will auto-focus and auto-aperture, has OIS, and only weighs 8oz. Yes its more expensive but it's pictures will likely look better than many of the older lenses you are considering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsnack View Post
    As a cheap trial I got the Pentax Auto 110 system 50mm.
    Its adapter can be bought here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/pentax-110-lens-...ht_3928wt_1167

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    What make you suggest this lens as an option for a small lens for occasional use?
    The first part of my reply stands but the quoted part is not. I'm sorry, I think I mixed up the OPs question with another discussion.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

the Pentax 110 series offer full coverage on the 4/3 sensor although do not have aperture built in

the 50mm f2.8 mounted on my G1

quite a nice portrait lens on the micro 4/3

may be worth reading my blog posts on 110 lenses on the G1

I find them light and the 50mm in particular is a favorite of mine for a 'pocket' lens. I seem to be using it more than my other 50's. If I had the GF-1 or EP it would be a certainty I'd pick it over the kit lens for just that little extra length and brightness

cheap too

PS I'd stack it up against the Voigtlander 50/2.5 LTM at wide open any day and be surprised if you could tell the images apart in blind testing.

Some flare and other testing with the 50 and the 24mm

Last edited by pellicle; 14th March 2010 at 04:39.

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I would suggest the Olympus Pen 40/1.4 or 38/1.8, they focus very close and the Pen adapter is about the same size as an M adapter, as the flange distance is almost the same.
    +1

Although the M-Rokkor 40/2 is tiny and good, it's not cheap. If you're looking for something small, I think the Pen F lenses provide the best value for money. Plus, they focus closer than any M-mount lens.

Post Thanks / Like

The Leica LTM>mFT adapter is smaller than the M>mFT adapter. Look at Canon 1.8 LTM lenses. By 2.8 you'll have a nice sharp lens. Or the Nikkor 50/1.4 or 2 in LTM.

Another small sharp 50 is the Canon TV 50/1.8 lens in c-mount. Tiny lens and the adapter is pretty thin.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions and the links...all very interesting. The Pentax 110 looks good. I may just end up with the Panasonic 45 macro, but I'm kind of biding my time to see if they produce a smaller non-macro prime.