Site Sponsors

Thread: new E-620 or refurbished E-30

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

new E-620 or refurbished E-30

I can buy a refurbished with a 14-54 MKII for the same price as a new E-620 with the same lens. Which would you choose and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new E-620 or refurbished E-30

Quote Originally Posted by Leo R View Post
    I can buy a refurbished with a 14-54 MKII for the same price as a new E-620 with the same lens. Which would you choose and why?

I'm not a pixel-peeper but from what I've seen both of those cameras are great and solid.

I'd get E-30, because it will be a better fit for my lenses.
    (ZD 12-60mm and Leica-D 25mm the only lenses I still have and I think I will keep those two for as long as I'm vested in 4/3rd body) Not to take away from other ZD glass, but this is my choice based on size, weight, performance, considering other systems/lenses I have, etc...

If I were a newcomer to the 4/3rd, I'd get E-620 with 14-54mm, (I did enjoy my E4xx with 11-22mm, 50mm and others, for many years as light kit) But since I have G1 and EP2 I don't really need the compactness of E620. Just wish Oly introduced new E30 with slightly more rigid design, I really don't like how E3 feels in my hands and the weight with 12-60mm is more than 5D with 90-Cron. (off topic...)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new E-620 or refurbished E-30

I am also facing this same choice. I am leaning towards the E620 after handling both the E-30 and E-620 in the store. I am partial to small and lightweight bodies so E-620 immediately appealed to me. I also liked the unobtrusive display of focus points in the viewfinder (they are just tiny dots) versus a bit bigger squares in the E-30. To my ears, the shutter sound of the E-620 was smoother and better. It is also little over 200gm lighter than the E-30. Also, I have the E-P1 and it uses the same battery as the E-620.

E-30 on the other hand has a considerably bigger viewfinder and it was surely a big difference when I used that camera. I also briefly tried the 12-60mm lens on both bodies and while it seemed better balanced on the E-30, it wasn't uncomfortable to hold on the E-620. E-30 also has more autofocus points to pick from and the interface with two dials seemed better than the E-620.

Currently, I pair my E-P1 with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens and plan to use the 12-60mm SWD lens with the E-620 or E-30. My thinking is that when traveling, I can carry just the DSLR with the 12-60mm lens (a very useful range) while for casual outings/parties I can use the E-P1 with just one lens. E-P1 is already working out very well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: new E-620 or refurbished E-30 neither one

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a new E-30 and 14-54 MK ll from B&H.
    I did a few test shots with that lense on the E-620 and E-30 and while there was little difference in the quality of the pictures, I felt the E-30 balanced better with the 14-54. Yes the weight is more but the E-30 had a nicer viewfinder and other features that I am looking forward to.

It cost about $300.00 more than the refurbished unit but I felt uncomfortable buying a used one and maybe having to send it back to the U.S. for repairs since I live in Canada. My peace of mind is worth more than $300.00 (:>)