The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new E-620 or refurbished E-30

Leo R

I can buy a refurbished with a 14-54 MKII for the same price as a new E-620 with the same lens. Which would you choose and why?

Photomorgana

I can buy a refurbished with a 14-54 MKII for the same price as a new E-620 with the same lens. Which would you choose and why?

I'm not a pixel-peeper :) but from what I've seen both of those cameras are great and solid.

I'd get E-30, because it will be a better fit for my lenses.
(ZD 12-60mm and Leica-D 25mm the only lenses I still have and I think I will keep those two for as long as I'm vested in 4/3rd body) Not to take away from other ZD glass, but this is my choice based on size, weight, performance, considering other systems/lenses I have, etc...

If I were a newcomer to the 4/3rd, I'd get E-620 with 14-54mm, (I did enjoy my E4xx with 11-22mm, 50mm and others, for many years as light kit) But since I have G1 and EP2 I don't really need the compactness of E620. Just wish Oly introduced new E30 with slightly more rigid design, I really don't like how E3 feels in my hands and the weight with 12-60mm is more than 5D with 90-Cron. (off topic...) :)

Jaladhi

I am also facing this same choice. I am leaning towards the E620 after handling both the E-30 and E-620 in the store. I am partial to small and lightweight bodies so E-620 immediately appealed to me. I also liked the unobtrusive display of focus points in the viewfinder (they are just tiny dots) versus a bit bigger squares in the E-30. To my ears, the shutter sound of the E-620 was smoother and better. It is also little over 200gm lighter than the E-30. Also, I have the E-P1 and it uses the same battery as the E-620.

E-30 on the other hand has a considerably bigger viewfinder and it was surely a big difference when I used that camera. I also briefly tried the 12-60mm lens on both bodies and while it seemed better balanced on the E-30, it wasn't uncomfortable to hold on the E-620. E-30 also has more autofocus points to pick from and the interface with two dials seemed better than the E-620.

Currently, I pair my E-P1 with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens and plan to use the 12-60mm SWD lens with the E-620 or E-30. My thinking is that when traveling, I can carry just the DSLR with the 12-60mm lens (a very useful range) while for casual outings/parties I can use the E-P1 with just one lens. E-P1 is already working out very well for me.

Leo R

Re: new E-620 or refurbished E-30 neither one

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a new E-30 and 14-54 MK ll from B&H.
I did a few test shots with that lense on the E-620 and E-30 and while there was little difference in the quality of the pictures, I felt the E-30 balanced better with the 14-54. Yes the weight is more but the E-30 had a nicer viewfinder and other features that I am looking forward to.

It cost about $300.00 more than the refurbished unit but I felt uncomfortable buying a used one and maybe having to send it back to the U.S. for repairs since I live in Canada. My peace of mind is worth more than $300.00 :)>)