The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panny/Oly AF lenses for the G1?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
A cross-post from the Alt. DSLR thread at FM:

As I use this as the 'go-to' baby- and cat-cam (using the 14–45 and 45–200 OIS Panny lenses), I wonder if anyone has experience with the other Panny lenses (or Oly lenses that AF with the G1)?

I ask because the images out of this toy have a lovely quality; it focuses pretty quickly, and the swivel screen really is practical for overhead shots.

The Oly 14–54 (ver. II) has been recommended, but that's a pretty big lens on this body and, if I went that route, I'd probably prefer the 12–60 (if it AFs) for the 12mm end, and it's only 100g heavier, IIRC.

Does anyone know when the 14 prime is coming? Has anyone here used the 45 macro? I did like the 20/1,7 when i had it, too. TIA, kl

pellicle

Kit

As I use this as the 'go-to' baby- and cat-cam (using the 14–45 and 45–200 OIS Panny lenses), I wonder if anyone has experience with the other Panny lenses (or Oly lenses that AF with the G1)?
forgive me if I've mis understood this (but it seems unclear to me) are you asking about lenses on that G1? Right now, the "other" Pana lenses on the G1 would be the 7-14 the 50macro and the 20mm as far as I know.

If you're asking about the 14-45 and 45-200 Pana lenses on your camera (I seem to recall you have something other than the G1) then I like them.

I have posted my opinion on the 45-200 here but generally find that its OK. Its a little dark in transmission compared to my other FD200mm at the same aperture, which is interesting ... here it is at our floor ball club the other night

AF is not brilliant (I used to some athletics and sports photography with Canon, so I am used to USM ring motor AF speeds) but can get the job done. It will not do follow focus on anything moving towards you fast ... even moderately fast.

I love the 14-45 ... its good value for money and by and a way (optically) the best zoom in that sort of effective range I've ever used.

Diane B

A cross-post from the Alt. DSLR thread at FM:

I ask because the images out of this toy have a lovely quality; it focuses pretty quickly, and the swivel screen really is practical for overhead shots.

The Oly 14–54 (ver. II) has been recommended, but that's a pretty big lens on this body and, if I went that route, I'd probably prefer the 12–60 (if it AFs) for the 12mm end, and it's only 100g heavier, IIRC.

Does anyone know when the 14 prime is coming? Has anyone here used the 45 macro? I did like the 20/1,7 when i had it, too. TIA, kl
I have the Panny 20 f/1.7 and 45 f/2.8. I like them very much on both the G1 and GF1. I also have the Oly ZD 9-18 and use with MA-1 adapter--primarily on G1. Like it also--and not sure if I'll sell and add 7-14. Feel pretty confident I won't sell to buy the new m4/3rds 9-18 since the ZD is relatively small enough to suit me. I also have the Oly m4/3rds 17 f/2.8--bought it last Spring for a faster small prime for G1 when we didn't know when the 20 was coming out. Its a nice lens, nice FL and can be found pretty reasonably now I think. I generally carry the 20 though.

Diane

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks everyone; pretty much as I thought.

pellicle, I did mean for use on the G1; I have the 14–45 and the 45–200 already. I have heard about the 7–14, and the 45 macro, and the one-day-soon 14, and was wondering about these. "Wondering" in the sense that the 14–45 already produces very nice images, so how much better would the primes be?

Diane, thanks. If it's not too much trouble, could you post an images of the 9-18 on one of your µ4/3rd's bodies? I want to get a sense of the overall size.

cheers, Kit

Tullio

I also have the Oly 17mm and find it to be a great little lens, specially considering that it costs 1/2 the price of the 20mm.

Diane B

Diane, thanks. If it's not too much trouble, could you post an images of the 9-18 on one of your µ4/3rd's bodies? I want to get a sense of the overall size.

cheers, Kit
Will do, but there's a nice little site that allows you to 'see' various lenses on all the m4/3rds.
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/matching/index.html

I prefer it on the G1, but its fine on the GF1 also as far as handling. When the lens is larger than the 20 LOL--I hold by lens--sort of basic DSLR hold.

Diane

wjlapier

That is a cool site. I never could figure out how to change the profile. Just did.

Got a question. Can those Olympus 4/3 lenses AF on Pana m4/3 bodies?