The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Lumix 14-42 kit lens vs disc. 14-45

B

bruce1s

What are your thoughts on the newly announced 14-42 kit lens for the G2 vs the discontinued 14-45? Internet consensus (based on Pany press release) says it is:

-Lighter
-Less range (14-42 vs 14-45)
-No O.I.S image stabilization switch (control in camera body)
-Plastic vs metal mount

Except for weight it seems the old 14-45 is better in every way. Since there are some 14-45s still in the channel, do any of you m4/3 veterans think it is worth while for a new adopter to buy one before they disappear?

For reference, B&H lists the lens without body at $350, and the G1/14-45 bundle at $640 (depending on how you look at it, that means the G1 body costs $290).

Thank you in advance if you respond.

Terry

I read somewhere that the 14-45 was not discontinued and would be sold on the G2. The 14-42 was to be paired with the G10. However, all of the pictures show the G2 withthe 14-42 so it isn't clear yet.

frank2001

Panasonic is just trying to get the cost down for entry level cameras.
Their prices are higher than the competition.
They made the decision to put IS in the lens not the body and thus their lenses are more costly.
I would imagine they are probably questioning that decision but it's too late to change.
A plastic lens mount and shorter range cost less to produce but it matches up with the new plastic mount lens Olympus introduced with the E-PL1. Plus the other 4/3 and APS competitors kit lenses as well
I would imagine all their kits will have the cheaper lenses and the other lenses will eventually be split into quality ranges like Canon does.
As to whether or not the 14-45mm stays, I guess it depends on sales.
It's all about the bottom line :).
JMHO
Frank

Tullio

I really like the 14-45mm however, I think it's way over-priced. It's almost a better deal to buy the G1 kit and sell the body than to buy the lens alone. If I was buying one of the two new G models and having the 14-45mm as its kit lens was not an option, I'd get with the 14-42 and spend the money on the 20mm.

B

bruce1s

I really like the 14-45mm however, I think it's way over-priced. It's almost a better deal to buy the G1 kit and sell the body than to buy the lens alone. If I was buying one of the two new G models and having the 14-45mm as its kit lens was not an option, I'd get with the 14-42 and spend the money on the 20mm.
Thanks for this excellent idea.:thumbs: