The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M4/3rds and lens diffraction

T

tripper

Smaller sensor larger dof (compared to APS-C and especially FF) this presumably means lens diffraction will begin to degrade the picture sharpness at larger apertures than with APS-C or FF. Are there any articles/tests or have you formed strong opinions on this effect on M4/3rds ? Would you shoot at f/22 or is f/11 your limit ?

tripper

V

Vivek

When dust bunnies start showing, you have reached the diffraction limit. It is usually f/11 for the 4/3rds (m4/3rds).

photoSmart42

According to the Cambridge tutorials website, we should start to see effects of diffraction above f/5.6 based on the m4/3 small CoC of 0.015.

Is there a way to observe the effects of diffraction in photos? I've been wondering about this for my macro shots where I don't want such a narrow DoF offered by an f/5.6 all the time.

V

Vivek

Don't have time for the tutorial and its charts. Liveview (use magnification if you need it) clearly shows the onset of diffraction.

T

tripper

photoSmart43 I read that link, :wtf: heavy going in parts, where does it point to the m4/3 CoC being 0.015 ?

Thanks

tripper

photoSmart42

photoSmart43 I read that link, :wtf: heavy going in parts, where does it point to the m4/3 CoC being 0.015 ?

Thanks

tripper
Oh, I got that from other sources that say for a 4/3 sensor the CoC is 0.015. I'm still trying to figure out how all that works.

@ Vivek - what does the onset of diffraction look like in liveview? Is it just a separation of the image? I'm not sure what to look for.

Jonas

The CoC for a FF sensor is commonly said to be 0.03mm. Half the sensor diagonal means double the magnification whichh in turn means a CoC of 0.015. Basically you decide though, what's your print size and viewing distance.

photosmart; aim your camera aginst something with a lot of fine details. Shoot away from largest to smallest aperture opening. Look at the images in your raw converter set to 100% view. Your image quality will start to degrade somewhere between f/4 and f/5.6. But is it severe and will it show in your prints?

By making your own experiments you'll find the treshold for your own needs. (target, print size, personal taste). I just don't use smaller openings but f/8 with the G1 and if possible I stay with f/4 or f/5.6.

There are many not concerned at all with diffraction and some claim they don't see it. I'm not that lucky. OTOH I don't see the great color differences between lenses some people suffer from.

/Jonas