The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some of you may be forming the opinion I am cheap.

Ron Evers

Well, maybe I am as I am always hunting down bargains. :)

I was in a pawn shop a month ago & they had a Manfrotto 190QC (Bogen3001V) with a Manfrotto 352 RC ball head for $79. However, it was missing the quick release plate. After pointing out that it was useless without the plate I was able to negotiate the price down to $50. Henry's here was asking $21+tax for one so I ordered two from China @ the same cost. Got the plates today & they are good quality & lock in good & tight. So I now have tripod, head & two plates for $81.50 taxes included. :cool:

pellicle

sounds like a bargain. I have the 190 and I don't use quick release plates, instead have a 3 way head ... I use a variety of cameras on it, and don't want to have plates on my 4x5 camera

Ron Evers

sounds like a bargain. I have the 190 and I don't use quick release plates, instead have a 3 way head ... I use a variety of cameras on it, and don't want to have plates on my 4x5 camera
I am considering switching heads with my Velbon Sherpa which has a tilt/pan head I like very much. The Sherpa has only one leg spread whereas the 190QC has three allowing it to squat down low for flowers etc. Both are the same weight with the heads on as they are now. I must confess I fail to see the advantage of a ball-head on a rigid tripod. On a gorilla pod I do & have one on that & am waiting for a two-way focusing rail from China to add to it for outdoor macro work. The four-way I have is just too heavy with camera for the flexible legs.

pellicle

I am considering switching heads with my Velbon Sherpa which has a tilt/pan head I like very much. The Sherpa has only one leg spread whereas the 190QC has three allowing it to squat down low for flowers etc.
my main love of the 3 way head is I can invert the center pole and get the camera really low

it used to mean I needed my angle finder on my EOS camera, but with the G1's angle screen its a peach

Ron Evers

That's a nice set-up Pellicle. Not so handy as your kit but with the camera inverted I can do similar with my Sherpa tripod. A cable release is handy as well.