The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rome and some Angenieux…

Andrea Manuti

Hi guys from Rome, Italy!
I’d like to show some of the capabilities that “old” lenses have, taking for granted that many among you already know this. But, you know, sometimes actual experiences may help for… a new rush for buying!

Let me start from my present going-nuts-derive for the M4/3: I was an SLR addicted in the times of Athens vs. Troy war, with some Canon lenses (i.e., 20, 35, 100 and 200 FDs, that I still have in my dusty bag). More, I’ve always being luring for Leica HW, which I could never afford to buy. But a long time repressed desire can become reality, sometimes…

When the Lumix showed up (I’ve seen it for the first time at CES 2009) I was attracted by the promise of a better color fidelity: I had a couple of Sony DSC-F828 that I used for taking pictures from what the projectors I test do show on screen. I run a website named www.htprojectors.com that is obviously related to Home Theater projectors, and when making tests I was maybe the first to add actual photographs taken from the screen. This is not exactly easy, since the whole reproduction chain is involved: the monitor you use is critical, since lot of people have non correct setups, so what you try to show with a shot might be overrun by wrong settings. No need to say that the source is equally important, so the Sony was starting to show its limit.

This is why I was taken by the Lumix, and I rapidly discovered the new “lens paradise” that was related, starting with RJ adapters that I found. He’s very kind, but lives in the Far East, and this is not the best solution for exchanging specific needs.

Stumbling on the net, I found someone really close to home, and, boy, this man is a genius. He’s Adriano Lolli, a master in this craftsman’s art (www.adrianololli.com). While being very peculiar (he’s an optics addicted, and you can’t force him with time, that is a don’t care for him), he can do almost everything: I visited his lab and he has an incredible collection of lenses, adapters, rings and whatever stuff you can (and cannot) imagine. If you add a 90 minutes trip from Rome, you’ll see why he’d become my “adapter pusher”.

Back to optics.

I was attracted by Leitz, as I mentioned, and by Angenieux too.

I know you know it, but this is what a cheap, old and long forgotten Leitz Hector 135mm f/4.5 can do…

So I started my chase with the classic Angenieux 12-120mm, that I found on eBay with the Arri mount.

No problem, I can rely on Adriano. But when I found the 5.9mm, a rectilinear fisheye used by Kubrick and others, I panicked. It was to cheap to be true, the classic surplus sale that makes you mad: real or fake? I made it, hoping that the lens could become a bargain.

It was.

Far from being perfect from an aesthetic point of view (that I don’t consider too much…) the Angenieux I received wasn’t bad…

Andrea Manuti

Let me add that I couldn’t resist and bought almost 40 different lenses, mostly C-mount (the 25mm Tevidon, for example, a 10mm Kern Switar with a Century Optics 0.5X adapter that makes an high-end fish eye effect, or 3 Angenieux 10mm f/1.8 retrofocus, a Cosmicar 4.5mm f/1.8, to name a few), but including some strange creatures like a Canon XI 42mm f/1.0 and a Rodenstock 50 f/0.95, that Adriano is currently setting up for me. I’m forcing him to built a D-mount to M4/3 adapter, since I have a whole collection with this mount, too. I’m also waiting for him to machine a Pentax 8-48mm f/1.0, that will make the Angenieux 25mm f/0.95 a fool’s rush (I’m referring to the average $ 1.000,00 price, that is a bargain.. for the vampire-seller!).

Here’s another example: this is my loved Tevidon 25mm f/1.4, hand-held in Via Veneto:

I’d like to report here some shots, with the help of the adapter Adriano made for me.

I told you this guy is versatile like no other. He told me the Angie 12-120mm had some shift with focus from different zoom positions, so he built the adapter with a screw to lock the lens in position. The result is that I have to manually focus the lens each time, but I can go from far

to closer

until I touch the front lens…

Please keep in mind that I like vignetting, since I think this is a good option for framing the picture in a peculiar way; should you dislike it, the Lumix gives us the “L”, “M” and “S” options. With the G1 you can choose from 16:9, 3:2 and 4:3, while the GH1 adds the 1:1 AR too. You can wander through these options if you don’t like vignetting, with the only drawback of loosing some resolution, i.e. flexibility vs. pure performance (a real plus for this camera, I think).

One thing: don’t ask timing and f/stops, since I don’t record them and the exif info doesn’t contain this info for manual lenses…I don’t know if the exposure time is correct, but maybe there’s something to get from there.

gmoe

Wow! $100 for 4 Ang lenses that's an incredible deal. Thanks for sharing your pics with these lenses.

zcream

Hi Andrea. What happened with your 8-48mm f1.0 lens ? I think 8mm will vignette severely but maybe the 16-48mm will work in 16:9 for a 3x very fast zoom lens. Please post some pics at different zoom lengths.

E

Ernesto Mantaras

Hi! I'm sorry for bringing afloat an old thread, but I was interested in seeing the results you got on the Pentax 8-48mm f1.0 zoom lens. From what I saw in this video its performance is superb, but how much vignetting would one get when using it without ETC mode?

And how good do you think the Angenieux 17-68mm performs wide open?

Very insightful samples, thanks!

Wotsisname

Hi Andrea,

I had a look at your beautiful images shot with different Zooms. Fantastic stuff!

I have just bought an old Angenieux 12-240 lens which I want to mount on my GH3 but it has an auricon mount which is going to be tricky to adapt.

Auricon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you have any ideas?

I will attach some pics too.

Many thanks.

Andrea Manuti

Hi Jules!
Honestly I have no idea since have no info about the Auricon mount (i.e., at least the size of the mount). The only option I could seek is trying to use the Arri adapter (as you can see from post #2 it's large enough to accomodate large lenses). More, you could carefully try to somehow detach the original mount changing it to Arri, or, better, trying with a direct C-mount. But this 2nd option requires a lot of manual expertise (I personally wouldn't dare to try myself... ;) ) and maybe you should ask an expert technician to have the job done for you.
Ernesto, sorry but I didn't see your question. Well, Adriano gave up since the vignetting with the 8-48 would have been too large to make the lens usable... :(