Site Sponsors

Thread: Shoot W/O Lens question.

tripper

Shoot W/O Lens question.

I did a search but found no answer.

When 'Shoot w/o Lens' is on, (shooting with non OEM lens etc) I have just been reading that it can be left 'On' all the time. Even if swapping between legacy & OEM lens. Does this switch off the electrical contacts between lens & body ? I am thinking there must be some 'dialogue' between lens and body with dedicated lens such as the menu reporting O.I.S on or off. What about using flash both internal & external TTL metering etc. Can someone enlighten me please ?

tripper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Shoot W/O Lens question.

Quote Originally Posted by tripper View Post
    I did a search but found no answer.

When 'Shoot w/o Lens' is on, (shooting with non OEM lens etc) I have just been reading that it can be left 'On' all the time. Even if swapping between legacy & OEM lens. Does this switch off the electrical contacts between lens & body ? I am thinking there must be some 'dialogue' between lens and body with dedicated lens such as the menu reporting O.I.S on or off. What about using flash both internal & external TTL metering etc. Can someone enlighten me please ?

tripper
    I have left mine on all the time....it has been over six months. Do it once, never worry about it again.

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK, its fine to leave it on. I've had mine set to 'shoot w/o lens' since Feb. 09 when i got my first FD lens/adapter. We have been telling people for the last year to set it and forget it. There is, of course, data being passed with electrical contacts, but I don't believe that menu item has anything to do with it. I can't give you any particulars--maybe someone else can, but I do know it doesn't affect any of my lenses and I have legacy MFs, a ZD 9-18, m4/3rds Oly 17 f/2.8 and 4 Panny dedicated m4/3rds.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The SHOOT W/O LENS option on Panasonic bodies is there primarily to reduce service calls. It's a safety that ensures to the user that the lens has been fully mounted, properly, and perhaps keeps a nave user from sticking their finger in and feeling the shutter bend on it.

Disabling it does nothing to anything else, it just allows the shutter to operate when a lens isn't fitted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I leave mine on all the time and I only have one non-electronic lens. So far working fine...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

tripper

Well, I thought there has to be some reason why it is switchable on/off or why not set it permanently 'ON' in the firmware and dispense with the menu choice ?
    But now I am beginning to doubt my theory

tripper