Site Sponsors

Thread: Weather sealing? Apparently not any time soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Weather sealing? Apparently not any time soon.

I know there are some of us who aspire to own this type of camera in a weather sealed body and lens combo but from what I have seen to date it does not appear likely. My biggest reason for saying this is not so much that a weather sealed body is out of the question but there has not been one lens produced that has the weather sealing required to make a complete system. What a shame because it could be the ultimate go to camera style regardless of conditions. If anyone knows otherwise or can relate their inclement weather experiences I would be pleased to hear about it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather sealing? Apparently not any time soon.

In the 4/3 lenses weather proofing is available on the higher grade lenses, so presumably we won't see weather proofing in m4/3 until we start to see "pro" or higher grade m4/3 lenses, if ever. Of course, with the adapter you can use weather sealed 4/3 lenses on the m4/3 cameras.

My guess is that m4/3 will remain a consumer camera for a long time, even though I know many pros love them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well
    For what it's worth, my EP1 with kit lens was submerged in water for something like 3 minutes, and there was very little evidence of water inside . . . and after a few days in the airing cupboard it did work.
    So, I know they aren't weatherproof, but I certainly don't have qualms about using them in the rain.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the response Jono but what in the world happened?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bbodine9 View Post
    Thanks for the response Jono but what in the world happened?
    I jumped over a ditch with fast flowing 2ft deep muddy water, and the camera popped neatly out of my pocket and into the water - took a few minutes to find it. To be honest, it isn't perfect, but it does kind of work - the point being that if it nearly survived 3 minutes submersion in muddy water I'm not going to get too prissy about a bit of rain.

My Ricoh GX100 on the other hand died after one small splash.

Just this guy you know