The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 on m4/3?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One of the nice things about the adapting thing, is that one can carry two bodies, like a GH1 and a 5D, and two lenses, but actually get four completely different results. This way, it becomes possible to tailor-make a system consisting of bodies and lenses from many different sources, making the process of taking a photo even more rewarding.

Life is kewl :)

pellicle

One of the nice things about the adapting thing, is that one can carry two bodies, like a GH1 and a 5D, and two lenses, but actually get four completely different results.
I know ... its why I sold my 9-18 ZD lens ... I already have the 21mm and on full frame its a sweet as pie wide ... my G1 works better than a x2 teleconverter making my 300mm a fantastic lens for small birds

actually a used G1 is cheaper than a good used Canon x2 teleconverter

Life is kewl :)
isn't it just!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting ideas. I have been considering the Panasonic 7-14, but I do have the OM Zuiko 21mm f/3.5, and I'm sure I can find a used 5D for around the same price as the Panasonic lens. I've never had a lens wider than 21mm anyway, so I probably won't miss the widest part.

pellicle

Hi

Interesting ideas. I have been considering the Panasonic 7-14, but I do have the OM Zuiko 21mm f/3.5, and I'm sure I can find a used 5D for around the same price as the Panasonic lens.
yep ... just fyi

21mm f3.5 wide open

9-81 @11 wide open

but its on the print that the bokeh looks the worst ... even at 10x15 size I don't like it. Of course if you photograph everything at a distance this is not an issue (there is no bokeh) and the Olympus 9-18 is stunning

pellicle

while I'm gnawing at this topic (and a carrot) I thought you might find this interesting:

I like to use wide angle lenses on interior subjects (like at workshops).

often I don't have enough width (28mm width on this occasion)

I normally work at a fixed distance to my subjects even if moving around ... so picking a number like 3 meters to dial into a manual focus lens and setting f5.6 you get an interesting DoF result ... plugging this into a calculator I get:

which even if you haven't worked with the lens will show you that its good for getting all the stuff in the scene and gives a nice gentle fall off to the background while keeping close obstructions from getting too much attention in the foreground (as they may walk in or wave at the wrong time)

nothing is faster focus than fixed focus ... ask a street shooter :)

woodyspedden

I was offered this lens, with a few scratches on the outside but what appears to be perfect glass on the inside for $400 today, plus $100 for an m43 adapter. Seemed like a good deal, so I reserved it for pickup next week. Does anybody have experience with this lens on 4/3 or m4/3?

I was also offered a Contax Zeiss 135mm f/2.8. Anybody used that one?
The 85 1.4 is a great lens. The only better portrait lens I know of is the 50 or 60 Jahre anniversary 85 1.2. I have the 50 Jahre version and absolutely love it.

Have fun with your new lens.

Woody

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Are you ditching, Nikon?
I'm not ditching Fuji. As for Nikon, I will wait and see. I'll probably buy a Canon anyway.

I was considering a D90 as a replacement for my worn out D80, partly because of the favourable price at the moment. Then Canon launched the 550D, which, except for the viewfinder and a few ergonomic details, is a million times more of a camera, for a price just marginally above. A good viewfinder and good ergonomics are important to me, but there's a limit...

seakayaker

I was considering a D90 as a replacement for my worn out D80, partly because of the favourable price at the moment.
. . . . . just as a side note, my son-in-law purchased a D90 a month ago. Has gotten a lot of errors regarding camera not recognizing the lens and another issue with the memory card. He has found a lot of comments on D90 web sites.

You may want to take a look at the issues before you get that bargain price.

Life is Grand!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
. . . . . just as a side note, my son-in-law purchased a D90 a month ago. Has gotten a lot of errors regarding camera not recognizing the lens and another issue with the memory card. He has found a lot of comments on D90 web sites.

You may want to take a look at the issues before you get that bargain price.

Life is Grand!
Even without issues, the D90 is looking like mediocre value at the moment. In this country, the 550D is already cheaper. I still prefer the handling of the Nikon, and I have a lot of F-mount lenses, but it seems like the Fujis will be my F-mount cameras for the foreseeable future.

Unless Nikon comes up with a D9000 with features that can't be resisted, or a mirrorless camera that will AF with my old Nikkors. The latter will probably happen the same day as Norway sends out it's first space mission to Pluto :)

V

Vivek

Unless Nikon comes up with a D9000 with features that can't be resisted, or a mirrorless camera that will AF with my old Nikkors. The latter will probably happen the same day as Norway sends out it's first space mission to Pluto :)
Look at this scenario: Norway, joins the EU, rescues Greece with its surplus petro Kroners and Nikon debutes a FF mirrorless cam (back illuminated sensor to the boot. ISO 1 Million dial is there) that is backward compatible with all its lenses. :ROTFL: