The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G2's touch screen..

simonclivehughes

Sure, except that most macro work is done using manual focus (and a lot of field macro work is done hand-held), in which case selecting the focus point on the screen wouldn't actually do anything useful. The best feature for macro work would a single-button manual focus assist IMO.
Dragos,

While I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, I prefer to use AF with the 45mm f2.8 macro lens (tripod mounted) just because I absolutely hate the focus-by-wire of the Panny lenses. By shifting the focus point to your point of interest, AF work quite well. Being able to do so by simply pointing would be an improvement.

Cheers,

Jonas

Sure, except that most macro work is done using manual focus (and a lot of field macro work is done hand-held), in which case selecting the focus point on the screen wouldn't actually do anything useful. The best feature for macro work would a single-button manual focus assist IMO.
No and yes. What's wrong with a quick way to enlarge the area of interest for manual focusing? But, I'm still thinking of tripod situations.
Then of course, I really hope Panasonic has included a single button press enlarging function with the G2.

I don't understand really, why keep bashing a feature that can be good to have from time to time at the same time as it won't bother us for the rest of the time?

/Jonas

photoSmart42

No and yes. What's wrong with a quick way to enlarge the area of interest for manual focusing? But, I'm still thinking of tripod situations.
Then of course, I really hope Panasonic has included a single button press enlarging function with the G2.

I don't understand really, why keep bashing a feature that can be good to have from time to time at the same time as it won't bother us for the rest of the time?

/Jonas
Jonas, nobody's bashing the new feature. It's fair to discuss the potential uses (or non-uses) of the new feature, so I'm not sure why you have such an emotional attachment to this feature to consider honest feedback a form of 'bashing'. Yes, using the touchscreen as means of manual focus assist may be interesting, but I was discussing focusing using the touchscreen, not manual focus assist. Two different features.

Jonas

Jonas, nobody's bashing the new feature. It's fair to discuss the potential uses (or non-uses) of the new feature, so I'm not sure why you have such an emotional attachment to this feature to consider honest feedback a form of 'bashing'.
You are right, bashing is the wrong word. Let me instead say I'm surprised to see so many posts (by not so many posters) being so negative about this touch screen. A touchy subject? No it shouldn't be... it's just a feature among several other ones.

When i first read about the touch screen my reaction was something like WTF, what a waste of effort and why didn't I get the pro oriented body I have been hoping for, and...

The next day (having slept on it) I could see how i could benefit from a touch screen and figured there would be more into it.

My main point is that we for once see a feature not being in the way for those not using it.

Yes, using the touchscreen as means of manual focus assist may be interesting, but I was discussing focusing using the touchscreen, not manual focus assist. Two different features.
I misread your earlier comment then:

Sure, except that most macro work is done using manual focus (and a lot of field macro work is done hand-held), in which case selecting the focus point on the screen wouldn't actually do anything useful.
To me the touch screen, in this case, seem to be one feature possible to make use from in both AF and MF mode.

regards,

/Jonas

Y.B.Hudson III

the magnification patch is recalcitrant at best in low light situations. That I could give it a shove with my finger now and then would be a plus.

photoSmart42

I misread your earlier comment then:
No worries. It comes with communication over the internet =).

You are right, bashing is the wrong word. Let me instead say I'm surprised to see so many posts (by not so many posters) being so negative about this touch screen. A touchy subject? No it shouldn't be... it's just a feature among several other ones.
To be honest, I wouldn't even call the reaction negative so much as it is a simple statement of opinion and fact. When I say I've only found limited use for the feature, it doesn't mean I don't like it (in fact, I think it's cool and it's something I wanted as a feature), just that I've thought about it and I've only figured out a limited use for this feature.

When i first read about the touch screen my reaction was something like WTF, what a waste of effort and why didn't I get the pro oriented body I have been hoping for, and...

The next day (having slept on it) I could see how i could benefit from a touch screen and figured there would be more into it.
I can tell you that I've been thinking about this feature since it was announced, hoping and wishing to find some potential use for it beyond browsing photos and perhaps using it to change settings.

To be fair, I guarantee you that it's likely many of the same people who are now saying they'll have limited use for this feature will come back in a few months after the product is released and rave about different other ways to use the touchscreen they just didn't see until they actually use it. It's the nature of new technology like this - users find ways to use it in ways which the designers never envisioned, and that's exciting.

My main point is that we for once see a feature not being in the way for those not using it.
That's kind of a low bar to set in terms of equipment expectations, but I see your point. I don't see this discussion going in the direction of "I wish they'd never implemented that feature" because it can be turned off (thankfully!).

Cheers!